• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bloomin' Batteries Everywhere......

Galaxynote_guy

Sep 24, 2012
Nottingham UK
So the guy in the phoneshop takes one look at the Samsung battery out of my Note and before I've even said anything he tells me it's knackered.
I asked him how he knew and he showed me how it had warped as a result of short circuiting :eek:
He pulls out his own Note, removes the back cover and proceeds to explain one of the possible causes. All very interesting stuff and then tells me that another common cause for shorted batteries is using incorrect chargers.
I'm guilty of this I think as I have chargers everywhere and not all of them are Samsung ones. Indeed I'll use any charger that is around if it fits. Never gave it a second thought.
I knew that there were different rated chargers out there but assumed that they would merely affect the speed of the charge. Like it takes longer to charge from a laptop USB than it does from the wall, that kind of thing.
Anyways, he wanted the best part of

Reactions: Omar Days
Sorry, I've binned it :(

I didn't notice it visually until the guy in the phone shop pointed it out. It was then that I remembered putting the battery into the phone and thinking that it wasn't flush. Like it had something caught under the battery. I remember taking the battery out and looking and also glancing at the battery but the curve was very slight. I didn't think much of it. Evidently not as I assumed that the phone was at fault and changed that instead!
Once the guy had pointed it out to me it was more apparent but still very slight. If you were not looking for it, you'd miss it!
My new battery arrived today so what I'll do is use the Note to annotate a picture to describe what the visual symptoms on the battery where. I hope that helps ;)

Upvote 0
I opted for a 3500 mAh BXT battery..... I'll let you know how I get on. It was cheap as hell but I needed a battery quick and I got bored trying to make an educated decision.
I bet you it turns out fine ;)

OK so the battery turned up yesterday :dancing::party::congrats::rock:

I put it in the Note and it had about 50% charge. I charged it to 100% and then spent about 4 hrs sorting all the apps and things out and getting it to how I wanted it again. Discovering a few things on the way :D
That 4 hrs of constant use ran the battery down to 52%
I charged it overnight and unplugged it this morning at 07:30hrs
I did my usual morning routine, checked emails, read the news, checked calender/schedule etc. Got into car, messed about for 10 mins getting the Bluetooth paired, and travelled the 30 mins to work.
With my last battery, I would plug in the car charger but I decided not to today to see how the battery would fare.
My last battery, by the time I got into the office, would show about 80%. This one showed 98% :D
I then set up the wireless connection at work and spoke to a few customers. Received a few calls and generally messed around with a few more settings (You know what it's like when you get a fresh handset ;) )
So here I am, almost 2 hrs after unplugging, 95% battery remaining :D
2 hrs of moderate use for 5%...... based on that, i'm due to get 40hrs of use out of a 3200 Mah battery.... that's way more than the 4-5 hrs I was getting out of the, admittedly knackered, 2800mAh original.
I hope it continues like this :D
I'm not going to charge the phone all day and see what percentage I'm on when I get to bed tonight.
I hope this has helped someone somewhere :D

Upvote 0
....... Would be interested in how it continues to perform in the meantime.

Hi all,

So how's it going 1 week on. Well I have to say, it's been immense :D

Its amazing how I'd adapted and gotten used to having a battery that was dying.
My old habits still persist though and the phone is rarely at less than 90%.
Tasks that I have done this week that used to cause me anguish but sailed through this time include
From battery showing 98% as a test I used it as a Satnav from Nottingham to Leicester and from Leicester to Mansfield via Derby. A round trip of approx 100 miles and with appointments, took me about 6 hrs. During that time, the note was connected via bluetooth to the Merc.
During this journey I received 7 calls from customers who I spoke to for a total of 19 mins. I called my office twice for a total of 12 mins and I spoke to a few members of the sales team for a total of about 30 mins.
I also used the note during my appointments to either take notes, illustrate a point or retrieve data from Google Drive or emails.
At lunchtime, I sat in a layby with my lunch and browsed the internet, G=, Appy Geek, Flipboard Facebook etc :D
The phone was off charge for the whole period.
When I got back to the office, the indicator was at 61% :D Immense :D
Don't forget that the battery has a higher capacity than the stock one but even still....approximatley 6 hrs of use in the real world (By that, I mean the settings were set to normal use i.e the screen was on auto brightness, the emails were syncing every 10 mins etc. It's easy to get hours out of your phone by turning your smartphone into a dumb one ;) )
Some of you may be thinking that this isn't a very scientific test and you'd be right.....it's not. I'm aware that there are apps out there that measure every conceivable parameter and would no doubt tell me what process used most of the battery etc, but all I'm bothered about is that percentage number. It is king for me after spending the last few months getting used to losing 10% every 30 mins. It is however a real world report on how the phone behaves during a typical day. I'm sure that the performance will drop off at some point in the future but for now, it's brilliant.
38% in just over 6hrs of "Active" use :D I'll settle for that bad boy :D

Upvote 0
It's now 3.55PM and the battery has just run out, I put it on my phone around 7AM.

I've used the phone a fair amount, been on facebook and twitter, checked a few e mails, did some instant messaging and went on the net like normal.

Feels a bit better than the standard battery but we'll see how it is after the next charge.

Upvote 0
When I charge my battery I don't stop when it shows 100%. I continue charging until an additional symbol appears in the notification bar to show that the battery is properly full. Once I see that additional symbol appear (the screen lights up at that point if the display is off) then I stop charging at that point or soon after.

There are odd exceptions, but that's been my standard routine since I first got the Note 16 months ago. I also almost only ever use the standard Note charger at home and in the car and they seem to help with reliable charging of the battery. I'm still getting good performance from the original battery today.

20130309_094527_.JPG

Reactions: Howard Hopkinson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones