• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Blown Speaker?

I really dont know. I just called my local store and they are going to get me a 3rd replacement phone. They girl at the store was wondering if it was the ringtones I downloaded off of the Droid Apps, she had me call tech support and tell them. The tech guy said that they havent had any reports like mine at all so far. You would think with this being Verizons flagship phone that it would have some kind of protection circuitry built in to it to protect the speaker from surges.

Upvote 0
My speaker is blown on my inc. Also. My phone is soooo horrible between calls force closing and internet freezing up.I got mine the day it came out and its been non stop problems.Verizon doesn't seem to care either.they Alllll no nothing about anything.I keep getting new days of when my replacement will ship.its been two weeks now.

Upvote 0
OK, it might be time to think about what you could be doing or using that is causing this to happen. A ringtone, an app, a song, something. Perhaps you use your speaker all the time and most people don't? That's not your fault, of course. But it could be a design defect in the speaker caused by heavy use? High volumes? This can't be a coincidence. See if you can narrow it down.

Well got my third one on May 25 and it blew again today. I hope the warranty renews itself with every new one I get. I haven't had any ringtones and my volume is at half. I don't get it.

Upvote 0
I have blown three speakers on my DI. I have blown 0 speakers on my Moto Droid. the 1st time I smoked the speaker I had swapped SD cards and the phone picked a random rock song as my SMS alert and the song was just to much for it. The second time, my buddy turned up the volume on a youtube video witch smoked it. The last time was the stock SMS tone at full volume.

My Moto Droid has a louder rear speaker that has never blown and I used the same ring tones on it

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem. I called tech support twice and both times they told me that its a "software issue". I dont see how this could be a software issue at all. They wont even attempt to send me a replacement one their stock is back in.

In other words they are going to reset the max gain so that the max volume isn't so load it blows the speaker

Upvote 0
I am 99.9% sure that it is not the speaker that is blowing, but rather metal shavings that work their way thought the weak screen that HTC has covering the speaker. Somehow, the shavings are magnetically attracted to the speaker and cause it to crackle. Upon trying to remove the shavings, the speaker gets damaged even more...

I think this because mine had the same problem. The speaker started crackling out if nowhere and I noticed the shavings all up in the screen and attached to the speaker. I wedged tiny balls of aluminum foil between the speaker and case and it plays fine without crackling. It's defiantly quieter though.

Does anybody know where to order replacement parts for these phones? Id just like to replace it myself as its easy as cake to get out.

Upvote 0
I am 99.9% sure that it is not the speaker that is blowing, but rather metal shavings that work their way thought the weak screen that HTC has covering the speaker. Somehow, the shavings are magnetically attracted to the speaker and cause it to crackle. Upon trying to remove the shavings, the speaker gets damaged even more...

I think this because mine had the same problem. The speaker started crackling out if nowhere and I noticed the shavings all up in the screen and attached to the speaker. I wedged tiny balls of aluminum foil between the speaker and case and it plays fine without crackling. It's defiantly quieter though.

Does anybody know where to order replacement parts for these phones? Id just like to replace it myself as its easy as cake to get out.

If you find any info on replacing the parts let me know. My speaker has the crackle and doesn't sound as good as it used to be. So it must be blown.

Upvote 0

Yup, mine has the metal shavings too. Sounds real tinny now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones