1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Blue streaks on my camera

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by terpdon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

I have this problem that just showed up with my Sprint Galaxy s3. These three small blue streaks are on the image when I take a picture with the front facing camera...the selfie camera doesn't have them. They almost look like someone has drawn a couple of streaks with John Madden's magic pen that he used during football highlights.

I cleaned the lens cover, that didn't make them go away. I covered the lens so no light could get in, but they still showed up...even brighter actually. I even tried a factory reset, but no help there. I wish I could post a picture of the phenomenon, but I don't have picture posting rights yet.

Anyone had this problem? I haven't dropped it or gotten it wet or anything. No idea what it could be.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

I think you could upload a pic to dropbox etc then post the link here. Not sure though.
    Tbh it sounds bad that it still happens with the lens covered.
    Have you tried a camera app from play store?

3. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

The phenomenon is still there when I use instagram too.

4. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

Hmm thats weird.
    Did u try a different app to narrow it down a bit?

6. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

Just tried camera 360...still there.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. funkylogik

Must be something deeper than just software like a problem with the hardware or its driver. Hope someone else can suggest something. Is it still under warranty? :thumbup:

8. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

It's under the factory warranty...1 year. No idea what kind of ordeal that will be to deal with.

9. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Does the lens/cover appear to be scratched?

10. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

no, the lens cover is not scratched or damaged in any way.

11. Mikestony

VIP Member

hmmmm, sounds like it could be a hardware issue as funky suggested.
    Considering:
    A. it does it with the camera covered
    B. it does it with another camera app.
    C. it does it even after a factory reset.

Try this...take a pic in landscape mode...do the scratches follow the layout? i.e. are the scratches in the same pattern in landscape vs. portrait?

funkylogik likes this.
  12. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

the streaks move with the phone, not with the image. So as I rotate the phone, they rotate around the center of the picture, if that makes sense.

funkylogik likes this.
  13. Mikestony

VIP Member

Yes that makes sense....hmmmm again:).....I just wonder if there are some minute, unseen to the naked eye, scratches.???

14. funkylogik

Excellent out-the-box thinking bro :beer:
    Its startin to really sound like the camera sensor is damaged or has somehow got some dust in it :( are the "patterns" of blue always the same? Even after shaking or gently tapping the phone (long-shot i know lol)

Mikestony likes this.
  15. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

yep...they're exactly the same every time. I wonder how it could have gotten damaged, I haven't dropped the phone or anything. I'm assuming that probably won't be covered under warranty. Any idea how much I might be looking at in repairs?

16. terpdon

terpdon Newbie

What I don't get though is that if they were scratches in the lens, they should disappear if there's no light getting through the lens, but that's clearly not the case, in fact they get brighter. I even tried doing it in a dark room, and they're still there.

17. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

If you want to definitively rule out software, you could do a factory restore via Odin.

If it still happens after that, you know its hardware

funkylogik likes this.
  18. funkylogik

Thats why its probably the sensor. Warranty should be cool if the phone isnt pure battered or had water in it :thumbup:

19. phisnjp

phisnjp Lurker

Did you ever find out what was causing your phone to act this way? Mine recently started doing this and was relieved to find that I am not the only one experiencing this weird problem. It is doing exactly what you posted and looks just like your pics but fortunately I have only one streak and I can zoom past it since it's in the left hand corner. Please let me know what you found out.Thank you!

20. TigerDentist

TigerDentist Lurker

Same is happening with my S4. Any suggestions?

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews