• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Advice

Lobalobo

Jan 8, 2010
After I was unable to connect my old Bluetooth headset to the Nexus One, thinking it was a version incompatibility, I went out and bought a new Plantronics Voyager Pro, running Bluetooth 2.1. Still could not connect initially because the Nexus One would not recognize the device. You can imagine my frustration. Turns out the secret, at least for me, was in the order of steps in the pairing process. The following worked:

- Turn the Bluetooth function on the phone on.
- Set the phone to be discoverable.
- Turn the headset on and set it for pairing.
- After the phone gives up and stops searching for a device, manually tell the phone to search for devices (by tapping the search option).

The key, at least for me, was to manually tell the phone to search; it will not find the device (neither of two devices in my case) when it searches automatically and I discovered this only by trial and error. Hope this helps someone.

I have the Voyager Pro too, and as quirky as the N1/Android can be with bluetooth (sometimes my car A2DP connects instantly, sometimes never), the Voyager Pro connects VERY quickly once paired.

This is the first time I've had a BT headset that I can leave off. When I get a call, I can turn it on and it will connect with the N1 before the voicemail picks up. Very nice.

Initial pairing is always hit-or-miss for me-- it's a mysterious process, somehow. You can follow the logical steps five times, and nothing will happen. Or you can just try everything in a random order, and it may connect. Or sometimes you just turn on a device and it instantly pairs.

I think new Plantronics are designed to be quick-pairing (no code needed), so the device with which they pair has to be actively scanning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones