• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth and music

I don't think the headset BT profile will push music, 'cides it would sound crappy. But a nice behind the head almost invisible headphone works great (with some dropouts if the phone gets busy with other things). I use a Moto S9 which for two years on other devices I hated because of horrible sound and non functional buttons but on my Magic it works as designed.
Really, can't use headphones at work? You should tell them that they can improve productivity especially if the environment is noisy.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a jabra bt8040 just for this exact reason and it works great, what you want is a mono headset that has a2dp profile there are others on the market but I cant speak for how well they work. The jabra I have works great, its tiny and if you buy from ebay make sure it has all 6 eargels, the one I have came with 1 ear gel and is kinda big for my ear but it was cheap.

Upvote 0
The Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooh Headset works with only the single earbud in addition to using them both. I've had the unit since it first came out and have thoroughly been pleased with the performance. Doesn't have the bass and full range of a wired pair however is small and lightweight.

A quick check of the Plantronics website indicates that it has now however been discontinued. You should be able to find one fairly cheap online though. My only complaint with the unit is that it does not support Multipoint.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a BT530 from ebay for $45. Looking forward to it. I am using a wired headset now and the wire is getting in the way a bit. Does the call button on the BT headsets discussed here work to pause / play music? Does it allow you to answer a call when listening to music such that it will pause the music while talking on the phone and then continue the music once the call is done? I am using a motorola droid, BTW.

Thanks,
John

Upvote 0
to accomplish this and I have not found a way to activate that BT profile on a Droid. A Jawbone headset is not A2DP and will only recieve phone sounds unless SCO can be enabled. On a Blackberry Storm, you can enable SCO and then get music or streaming radio through a mono headset. If anyone finds a way to enable SCO on an Android device, sell the app because you will be rich.

Ok, after some not informative research I am wondering if you can infact listen to music through a bluetooth headset (not headphones) and if so which ones are you using, thanks.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a BT530 from ebay for $45. Looking forward to it. I am using a wired headset now and the wire is getting in the way a bit. Does the call button on the BT headsets discussed here work to pause / play music? Does it allow you to answer a call when listening to music such that it will pause the music while talking on the phone and then continue the music once the call is done? I am using a motorola droid, BTW.

Thanks,
John

My 530 came in today and I mostly like it. It sounds good and does play music podcasts. The phone pauses the podcast when I get a call and I am able to answer hangup using the headset button as expected. When the call is done the podcast continues. Unfortunately the headset button does not play / pause the audio playback the way the button on my wired headset does. Too bad, but I didn't really expect it to work. I think for that to work on BT it has to support an additional protocol above and beyond a2dp. I forget what it is called. It is something like avrcp or something like that. I think the wired headset supports play pause in a different way. I noticed the plug for the wired headset has 4 zones so I figure they are for the sound, mic, and button presses.

John

Upvote 0
I can't find a way to push audio to my BT headsets which are both A2DP on the ERIS. It sounds like some of you with ANDROID op system are able to do this on other devices but I thought it was a limitation of ANDROID???
Android's BT is indeed lacking in many ways but it does do A2DP. If you are paired you can long press on the listed headset/headphone in System/Wireless/BT and under Options it should show you the available profiles, hopefully headset and headphone. Make sure both (or the desired) profile is checked.
If it shows both profiles but won't connect then best to unpair and try again. I find that I don't get connected everytime and have to try it again. Once it connects it works fairly well but will sometimes skip briefly. I'm not convinced that the WiFI radio isn't interfering with BT.

BT in general sucks imho and is not even up to the sub par of general BT on Android yet.

Upvote 0
As of September 20, 2010....there is still NO app or easy way to listen to Media on the BT device (I use a Platronics). Very frustrating, as this is clearly a needed and wanted application/option.
Can anyone give an up to date opinion if there is a way to listen to anything other than a phone conversation on my Bluetooth device (HTC Incredible). Thanks!

i was trolling around the internet looking for some bluetooth apps when i seen this.... i ended up registering just to help out :)
so i had this problem at first till i found this great app called "super mono bt"
use the free version for the 6 days then reinstall it. works GREAT on mytouch3g.
connect the normal way for bluetooth, then start your music, open the app, and click the top button. NO SETTINGS :)

things ive noticed... eats battery like the cookie monster on a binge... slows down my mytouch (installed swapper 2 to add swap ram. best app out IMO) must have volume all the way up before you start app. this is because it routes the sound, but if the sound is only 50% then it can only output 50% to the headset...

either way i hope this helps for at least a temp fix. i use a SONY PS3 bluetooth headset at work and listen to audiobooks/music for at least 6hrs a night :)

Upvote 0
i was trolling around the internet looking for some bluetooth apps when i seen this.... i ended up registering just to help out :)
so i had this problem at first till i found this great app called "super mono bt"
use the free version for the 6 days then reinstall it. works GREAT on mytouch3g.
connect the normal way for bluetooth, then start your music, open the app, and click the top button. NO SETTINGS :)

things ive noticed... eats battery like the cookie monster on a binge... slows down my mytouch (installed swapper 2 to add swap ram. best app out IMO) must have volume all the way up before you start app. this is because it routes the sound, but if the sound is only 50% then it can only output 50% to the headset...

either way i hope this helps for at least a temp fix. i use a SONY PS3 bluetooth headset at work and listen to audiobooks/music for at least 6hrs a night :)

So I installed Super Mono BT and followed your directions, but nothing happens; I dont get audio from either the phone speaker or the BT headset. I tried many different ways to get it to work but got no results. I have a rooted Droid with 2.2 and a Chevy kernel. The BT headset is a Playtronics Explorer 250.

Anyone got any other solutions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones