• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth Audio Streaming, AVRCP / A2DP

SPGHamster

Lurker
Jul 6, 2021
Hi there, hoping someone can assist with these questions I have,

I am looking at buying a new stereo head unit for my car, and want to be able to play Spotify from my phone. Specifically, I want to be able to control playback using the controls on the car, never having to touch my phone.

I have found what looks like a nice unit that does what I want. The specs say that it supports AVRCP and A2DP.

From what I can find online, my phone (Samsung Galaxy A01) supports only A2DP. (Some websites however do list both, so confirmation would be nice)

Am I right in thinking I won't be able to control the audio from the car over Bluetooth?

[EDIT] An update on this - the specs I could find online pointed to my phone not having AVRCP, but after enabling Developer options and looking under Networking, it lists Bluetooth AVRCP Version: 1.6.
So with that, I should be good to go?

Last edited:
AVRCP meaning "Audio/Video Remote Control Profile". I've had several Samsung Galaxy phones, and they all have AVRCP, as well as A2DP, so I have no reason to think why a Galaxy A01 shouldn't either. I've used it with various BT headphones and BT speakers for VOLUME, PAUSE, PLAY, SKIP,and PREVIOUS songs, as well as answering phone calls.

However I've never used it with a BT car system though, nor do I use Spotify, but I guess it should do the same sort of things. Somebody else maybe able to confirm this.

Upvote 0
AVRCP meaning "Audio/Video Remote Control Profile". I've had several Samsung Galaxy phones, and they all have AVRCP, as well as A2DP, so I have no reason to think why a Galaxy A01 shouldn't either. I've used it with various BT headphones and BT speakers for VOLUME, PAUSE, PLAY, SKIP,and PREVIOUS songs, as well as answering phone calls.

However I've never used it with a BT car system though, nor do I use Spotify, but I guess it should do the same sort of things. Somebody else maybe able to confirm this.

Thanks for the reply - I just happened to edit my post at the same time as your reply.

The specs I could find online pointed to my phone not having AVRCP, but after enabling Developer options and looking under Networking, it lists Bluetooth AVRCP Version: 1.6.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply - I just happened to edit my post at the same time as your reply.

The specs I could find online pointed to my phone not having AVRCP, but after enabling Developer options and looking under Networking, it lists Bluetooth AVRCP Version: 1.6.

For basic music controls and answering phone calls, I think yeh, But it's not something I've ever tried myself, using an Android phone with a car system, mainly because I don't currently have a car.

You said "never having to touch my phone." Like it you want to use your car system to show phone contact lists, dial numbers for outgoing calls, scroll through ALBUM, ARTIST, or SONG lists. I don't know if AVRCP supports all that or not. It might need more integration using Android Auto? If your car system supports Android Auto? And if Android Auto works with Spotify?

Upvote 0
It's just the basic audio controls I'm after, really. Play, pause, next etc. So I can just have the playlist ready on my phone and then control it via the car controls. The radio I'm looking at is advertised specifically for Spotify:

http://au.jvc.com/car/audio_receivers/kd_x472bt/

Bluetooth Control
Built-in Bluetooth[1]: Yes (Ver 4.2, Wired-Mic included)
Hands Free Call: Yes (HFP 1.7.1)
Audio Streaming & Control (A2DP, AVRCP): Yes (AVRCP 1.6.1)

Android Control
Android Music Playback: Yes (via Bluetooth(R))
Spotify Control: Yes (via Bluetooth(R))

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones