1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bluetooth - can't transfer from S2 to Mac

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by galaxyfaraway, Jul 13, 2013.

1. galaxyfaraway

galaxyfaraway Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2013
    I read the suggested threads and found no help.

I can transfer from my Mac to my S2 via bluetooth. I can not transfer from my S2 to my Mac via bluetooth. The 2 devices obviously recognize each other. When I try to "share" from my S2 via bluetooth, it is allowed and the S2 attempts to send the file. It ultimately fails.

I think everything on the Mac is selected properly. There aren't that many settings. The file I tried to transfer recently is a photo. I may have tried audio files in the past, I don't remember, but I've never successfully transferred from my S2 to my Mac via bluetooth.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Doc

Doc Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2012
    Male
    IT Infrastructure Operations
    Portland OR
    I no on my PC sometime the drivers on my system can cause issues such as your having, its strange that it does it one way but not the other. Unfortunately im not running a mac, but I will ask around and see what I can found out for you.....:)

3. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Commercial service Technician for ADT
    Gainesville, FL
    Download the app Kies Air from the play store. with that you can access your phone via the web browser on your mac. You just need them connected by the WiFi (connected to the same wireless router is fine). You will need no software for the mac other than the web browser. Going over a the phone's WiFi connection is also a lot faster and will not suffer choke points and timeouts for a large file transfer.

Doc likes this.
  4. Doc

Doc Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2012
    Male
    IT Infrastructure Operations
    Portland OR
    Code you be the man sir kudos..............;):D:)

5. galaxyfaraway

galaxyfaraway Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2013
    Will this send the file out over the internet? If so, I could easily attach the file to an email. I'm trying to do this from device to device without sending out into cyberspace.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question. Thanks..

6. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Gainesville, FL
    No, this sends it over the network connection locally. Both the computer and the phone have to either be on the same router or can be linked directly together via the wireless network card if you know how to set it up.

Just to clear things up, WiFi does not mean internet. It just means a wireless network connection which can be just a local thing. Many people connect to the internet through their WiFi because their wireless access point (wireless router) is connected to a modem or other router that is connected to the internet. I regularly access my 1.5 terabyte drive on my network locally via my WiFi, but it is not accessible from the internet. Wi-Fi is simply a trademarked term meaning IEEE 802.11x.

Doc likes this.
  7. galaxyfaraway

galaxyfaraway Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2013
    Ok so I did everything, followed instructions and put in the correct url in the browser, and no way. I triple checked everything. I'm wondering if Kies Air is only for PC. It doesn't say anything about Mac, only PC. Hmm..

8. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Gainesville, FL
    Are you both connected to the same wireless router? It is not the 3g 4g connection on your phone that is used. This is for connecting to the device that is on the same network router connection (example: both your mac and phone are connected to the same wireless router).

9. galaxyfaraway

galaxyfaraway Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2013
    Absolutely. Both my S2 and my MacBook are wirelessly connected to my router. There's only one router available here and both devices are connected to it.

10. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Gainesville, FL
    Unless you have some firewall issue on your mac, it should work. Well you can try ES file explorer/manager. It has remote ability that will work on a router connection too.

galaxyfaraway likes this.
  11. galaxyfaraway

galaxyfaraway Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2013
    So I got it to work this morning, but I don't know why it hadn't been working. I tried to send the file via bluetooth and for the first time the computer prompted me to accept the file. I clicked accept and it worked.

Thanks for the help. I'm glad you told me about the ES file manager. I haven't fully explored it, but I can see how it could be useful.

Doc likes this.