1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bluetooth Dialing doesnt use Google Voice Dialer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by soc.frangis, Sep 26, 2011.

1. soc.frangis

soc.frangis Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    If you try to voice dial on the bionic through bluetooth, it defaults to the Motorola App "voice command." Needless to say, it is a horrible clunky app with no improvement over the google version of voice search; i.e. you must litearally say 'dial john smith mobile one'...and the response time is slow.

i can voice dial over bluetooth by touching the voice dialer button on the google search widget by just saying 'call john smith' which is preferable , but that defeats the hands free cell phone intent of tapping the button on my earpiece and speaking. i am still forced to turn on the display, unlock the phone, swipe to home, touch the widget, etc, etc; not a safe driving solution.

i attempted to install vlingo, hoping that bluetooth dialing would prompt me with a 'select an application for this action' but the list only contains the motorola voice command app and vlingo app. so my attemted trick at changing the default bluetooth dial option failed, motorola filters out the voice search app.

since i cant install cyanogen mod on a bionic yet, i am looking for a stock solution to use the google voice search app for bluetooth dialing. also, vlingo isnt really an option i want as i still consider google voice search the better option.

thoughts? thank you in advance.

Advertisement

2. soc.frangis

soc.frangis Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    no responses yet, just want to make sure i posted on the right area.

3. MajorTom308

MajorTom308 Newbie
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    I too like the idea of totally hands free driving. The closest I have come to this is using the In-car part of Vlingo with the wakeup command on in the settings when the phone is in the vehicle dock and not asleep. All I have to do is say "Hey Vlingo" and it askes me what I want to do.

If you don't have a vehicle dock and just have the phone beside you or in your pocket, the closest I have come to hands free is before you start driving turn on Vlingo in Car mode leave it running put your phone to sleep and put your phone somewhere convienent. Then if you want to make a call, all you have to do is click on the power button on top of the phone to wake it up and Vlingo In Car will work from there.

Yea I know it is not perfect, but it is as hands free as I can make it. I have also contacted the Vlingo app programer and suggested that they add an option to have the In Car part work even if the phone screen is asleep. BTW...I have a Droid Bionic and this may not work on other model phones.

4. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    There is a setting that allows BT commands when the bionic is in the dock and screen off. Go to Settings > Location & security > Allow Bluetooth bypass. This will allow BT to listen and act when locked, i.e. screen off.

That said, the Voice Commands that now activate with BT is horrible compared to the Google Voice Search that used to activate with BT. Voice search was 98% accurate for me on BT. Voice Command gets about 20% of my commands right. I even went into settings on VC and did the audio training successfully. I never had to train Voice Search. Is it possible that installing an older version of Car Dock would allow going back to the wonderful Voice Search and losing this Voice Commands turkey?

5. guyriley

guyriley Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    bump...

Just hoping someone has figured out a solution for this. The Google Voice Dialer app on my previous phone was fantastic, this Motorola Voice Command alternative has so far proved to be garbage.

Maybe there's some way to change which app is activated via bluetooth on a rooted phone?

6. sixpack

sixpack Member
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    I currently have Nuance that comes up when I push the bluetooth button. Google Voice search is much better but I cannot find a way to make it default. Nuance won't even make a call it always finds the person's name but then says "no locations found". So as soc.frangis says "solution to use the google voice search app for bluetooth dialing" ??

7. BentBarrels

BentBarrels Newbie
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Realtor
    Minnesota
    I have same problem as you all are having...any solution yet?

8. soc.frangis

soc.frangis Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Short Answer: No

Long Answer:....

I've tried a number of things. First i uninstalled and re-installed Voice Search (Google) to see if it would pop up as an option when the Bluetooth button was hit. Didn't work. I then tried installing other voice dialing app, which did work as expected (hitting Bluetooth button prompted action for which app to choose), but Voice Search was not an option.

I then rooted my phone, installed Titanium Backup, tried freezing AND uninstalling Voice Command (Motorola). This resulted in no apps launching when i hit the Bluetooth button on my earpiece.

This is leading me to believe MotoBlur ROM specifically blocks the Bluetooth button launcher from opening Voice Search (Google); as any other app will work. I have also tried uninstalling / re-installing Voice Search (Google), to no avail.

My suggestion at this point, is that your only option is to root the phone and install a different ROM (non MotoBlur). AOSP has a decent Gingerbread ROM for Bionic.

Sorry, wish i could have been more help, or Motorola didn't go out of their way to prevent usage of native Google apps on their phone. Only other thought i have is, writing your own android app that listens for the Bluetooth button isClickedAction to occur, then having it launch Google Voice Search; as MotoBlur is only preventing the direct launch of Voice Search, not any other app.