• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth file share

geosynch

Lurker
Aug 2, 2011
Hi -- first post. Sorry if this has been asked. I looked, but did not find.

I'd like to get Bluetooth file share working between my Asus TF-101 running Honeycomb 3.1 and my Samsmung Charge running Froyo. Both devices have the File Explorer app, but I suspect the problem is actually Android and not FE (although I posted the same question on the developer's forum).

Bluetooth is running on both devices, and they are paired.

If I select a file on either devices and then select "send via Bluetooth" from within the FE app, I get a "no enabled bluetooth devices found." Excuse me? I think there is in fact a paired BT device a mere six inches away!

Even better, if I make the destination device "visable" then the BT file share works as expected.

Any clues?

Thanks,

geosynch

I'm pretty sure file sharing was intentionally crippled in Android but I dont really have proof it's just a hunch.

As barqers suggested bump works

Here are some other options:

Bump
(Uses GPS+BT/Internet)

Hoccer
(GPS+Internet)

Listables
(app lists,contacts,photos,music -- uses only Bluetooth) *

BlueMuze
(music and playlists -- Bluetooth or WiFi) *

Thrutu
(uses phone calls for contact sharing)

Bluetooth File Transfer
(Bluetooth - depends on device support for ftp profile )

Astro
(has a bt file share plugin - file manager)

Music Share
(bad ratings, dev appears to have abandonded Updated:Oct 24, 2010)

There are probably more file explorer type apps also

hope that helps

* Disclosure: These two starred apps are my apps (I'm the dev)

Upvote 0
I tried Bump, File Explorer and Bluetooth File Share apps for sharing files between my Asus TF & Samsung Charge. None of them are bad, but none are great, either.

What is great is Astro with the BT plug in. I frankly didn't knw Astro had a BT plug in.

BTW, the problem with Bump is that it uses GPS to co-locate the two devices. Duh. What if i'm inside? And GPS is a bit of a file drain....

Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions!

geosynch

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones