1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Bluetooth GPS Dongle for stronger GPS signal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dlt123me, Jun 6, 2011.

1. dlt123me

dlt123me Well-Known Member
    None

I am a little disappointed with the GPS on the TB... When I use Google Maps with GPS, it will sometimes lose GPS signal in some areas, even here is Portland Oregon.

Has anyone used or are using a Bluetooth GPS dongle or Keychain GPS Dongle with their TB?

Will this work or am I just stuck with a limited GPS capability?

I would like to use my GPS and Google Maps in areas where I do not have any phone signal.

At present, you cannot use the Google Maps as a standalone GPS unit since the TB signal is not strong enough to keep in contact with the GPS satellite.

Any recommendations?

Dennis

Advertisement

2. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Fremont, CA
    Google maps caches some data for interruptions in mobile data connection but still will not work when no cell service is available.

I use CoPilot Live USA for this. The maps are stored on your SD card so no cell connection is necessary. You can put your phone in airplane mode and the software will work. You still need GPS reception. I don't know about any USB dongle for GPS and certainly not for an Android phone. Native USB has not been made available unrooted. We have to root to read a USB flash RAM or a keyboard. I have a feeling that won't always be so.