1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Accessories Bluetooth GPS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fusion295, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Greetings everyone!

I own a bluetooth GPS receiver that I have used with my old phone (Nokia N95), and they worked great in tandem.

Now I got a new HTC Desire Z and I am wondering if it's possibe to to use the receiver with my new phone. The phone sees the GPS mouse, however, in the bluetooth settings I only see "paired but not connected". I don't see any option to connect, just unpair. Will the two devices be able to work together somehow?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Gnomad

Gnomad Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Ohio
    In the Bluetooth settings where it says "Paired but not Connected" long press and you should get a menu that has options.

3. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I tried that. The only option I get is "unpair". Apart from the receiver I also see my old phone and my PC. Both of them are paired but not connected. And in both cases I only get "unpair"

4. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    May I ask why you would want to do this? Your phone has a perfectly fine GPS itself.

5. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The simple answer would be - because I own it, and I'd hate to see it just sit around useless.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here :). I was hoping that maybe if I'm able to use them together I would get quicker lock on and better accuracy.

6. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I get the feeling, though I don't think there's much difference between the phone's GPS and the one you have. I think it would rather be a hassle for the phone and the GPS to work together because the phone might be like "WTH? I have GPS myself".

Since they're not pairing properly I don't think they will work.

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Seems like they should work but I've never tried this myself. As far as accuracy is concerned, I doubt you'll get much better unless your GPS receiver just isn't getting a fix and your phone is falling back on a less accurate method of determining your location. Quicker fix might be possible though, depending on how slow your phone's receiver is.

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I seem to get a rather quick fix with the built in GPS on the Desire Z. It takes a few seconds for me.

9. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for your input guys. I've had time o test the GPS since my last post, and it seems to be working well without the aid of the receiver.

cheers!

Tags: