1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bluetooth Headphone Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brosko, Dec 16, 2013.

1. brosko

brosko Android Enthusiast

I purchased a pair of bt headphones to listen to music/watch videos etc on my tab 3 8.0. They pair up and supposedly connect fine. The device reconizes them and all just fine. My problem is the device apparently only sees them as an earpeice for phone calls only. It wont change the audio output to bluetooth, all sound still comes out of speakers however when I try to listen to a song in the music player it says can not play during a call or something like that. I do have media checked in bt settings and phone unchecked. The headphones are capable of media because they work fine on my sgt 2 10.1 and my galaxy players 3.6, 4.0 and 5.0.
    for a moment last night when I was surfing the internet all of the sudden the audio changed to the bt headset and all system sounds etc worked through headphones including music out of nowhere. Once shut off and turned back on again they dont work again. Also a phone volume appears in the volume menu (menu that pops up when you change volume with the rocker)when they are hooked up and refuses to play media, but for
    moment that they worked that changed to a bluetooth emblem. Can anybody help me please? Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. HurrycaneJohn

HurrycaneJohn Member

Brosko try this....

Activate Bluetooth
    Go to Settings, Bluetooth, Paired Devices
    Tap on the wheely cog symbol on the rightside of your BT headphones
    You should see Call Audio and Media Audio listed
    Make sure Media Audio is checked

Did that work?

3. brosko

thanks for trying but I have done that a hundred times. no matter what I do the device only wants to send audio to a phone call (as weird as that sounds) and says unable to play during a call when I try to play music. and when I adjust volume it is adjusting the call volume(with the little phone icon next to it) not the bt volume. its funny because for a brief moment last night it suddenly out of nowhere started working but as soon as I unpaired them it would never work again.

4. brosko

I found the problem (sort of).I say sort of because I have yet to determine the exact app. I went into the running applications menu and stopped basically every 3rd party app that I have that was running, went back into Bluetooth paired up and bingo now its working. just goes to show you what I have said over and over again. 99% of the time that there is a weird problem like this , it is a 3rd party app that you have installed that is causing it. I learned that from sideman (another member on here) back in the galaxy player forum almost 2 years ago.

5. brosko

Shutting off apps doesnt work all of the time. I was unable to pinpoint which app was causing the problem, therefore am reluctant to start uninstalling apps, but it is definitely a software issue. What does work is connecting up bluetooth and leaving it on while doing a restart. When tablet restarts it connects up to the bluetooth and all works fine, as if it connects before whatever program that is messing it up has the chance to boot up during the restart. It will the work fine until bluetooth is shut off or it loses connection(walking too far away)If anybody has or knows a more permanent solution please share.

6. brosko

For anyone who is interested, today I found the app responsible for messing up the bluetooth. The culprit was "Text Plus". I checked all running apps permissions and one by one stopped any app that had control over phone, bluetooth or audio. I then went and stopped the cached process associated with each app I stopped. When I stopped the cached process for text plus the bluetooth instantly started working. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting bluetooth to make sure that was it and sure enough that was it. I then uninstalled text plus andThen left bt disconnected and rebooted the tablet. Everything works as it should. Although right now nobody probably cares hopefully one day this post can help the poor person with the galaxy tab and text plus installed who is at his wits end wanting to listen to music with his bluetooth headphones! I guess the app somehow makes the tab see all bluetooth headphones as call only earpieces even with the media box checked in the settings.
    go figure.

Sideman likes this.
  7. Sideman

Sideman Well-Known Member

Congrats, Brosko. I know that was a lot of work, and not any fun. But you solved this issue in great style. You're a valuable asset to us all.

Thanks much.

brosko likes this.
  8. brosko

Thanks! Its nice when you finally figure something out like that! Its also nice to be an asset to this forum.
    Just like you said its usually an app that is causing a problem. In this case however I couldnt just uninstall the most recent apps installed because I had never even tried the bluetooth since I purchased the tablet in august. I had no idea if it was ever working, let alone an app I installed recently causing it. I guess with all the differemt developers and tablet manufactures adding their own flavor to the numerous versions of android and different configurations this is bound to happen.

9. HurrycaneJohn

HurrycaneJohn Member

Brosko

I"m guessing that there was no option in the Text+ app settings, that would allow you to keep it from interfering with Bluetooth without having to uninstall the app?

10. brosko

exactly, I forgot to mention that in my post. I did first go into the app and see if there was a way that I could change a setting or something so that in wouldn't interfere with media audio on bt. I couldn't find anything at all pertaining to audio or bt control. I played with all the settings, but to no avail. best bet was just to uninstall.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews