• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Bluetooth headset for running?

Zimpo

Sep 20, 2010
Hey all.

Don't know if there's any other runners on the board, but in the hopes there are, maybe someone here would be able to recommend for me a good bluetooth wireless headset that would be good for running to connect to my fascinate. I don't run with headphones now typically because I can't stand the wires. My main concern is the headset slipping off. Second would be price.

I did a quick search on amazon and found these but I am not sure if they would be good. I also found these but they have mixed reviews (the first linked ones don't have any reviews). Also, on a related note, anyone able to suggest a good armband or something to secure my fascinate? I don't have any pockets when I run, plus I want to be able to easily change music.

Thanks!!

Thats the trouble with being stuff without trying it on. Ear fit is a pretty damn individual thing so whats great for one might be horrid for another.
There's a guy at my gym who uses the S9's linked above and he swears by them. He offered to let me try them on since he knows I make the above complaint about trying stuff on beforehand but I declined his sweaty offer

Upvote 0
Cool, thanks for the link Simtech. Seems a bit high priced for not having full features. Is it because they are really light? How do they feel? Do they stay put well?

They stay well in my ears but have heard of others having issues. You can change the buds themselves so I wouldn't think the fit would be an issue. They are SUPER light, can't hardly tell you are wearing any. It does suck that you can't really control the music, only pause / answer the phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks md1031. I'll keep an eye on ebay, that's a good price if they work well. Any issues with them staying in while running?
No problem. They've stayed in really well for me. Actually, they're one of the only headphones I've ever had that do stay in when running. My only complaint is that sometimes when I'm outside and my phone is in my pocket the signal will cut out. An armband solved that problem though. Overall I've been very satisfied.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that the S9s are outstanding for running. I wear them at the gym every day and have zero complaints.

I do have to say that you have to get used to the way to put them over your ears as it can seem a bit cumbersome at first. My best advice is just follow the instructions in the manual and when you figure out the positioning that works best for you, you will fall in love with these things.

They are lightweight, secure and have terrific sound for being wireless and at this price point. Also, I have never had an issue with pain caused by so-called "ear fatigue" even after an hour of non-stop use at the gym. I highly recommend them.

Upvote 0
I also have the S9-HD's and found them to be awesome for running. I agree with everyone elses opinions. I got mine off amazon and were a bit more expensive. Only problem I had with mine, is that I sweat a fair amount when I run which would then cause the volume buttons to not work at times.

I actually sent a pair back to motorola and got a replacement pair. Still determining how this second pair is going to hold up to me sweating.

Upvote 0
Looks like the ebay s9-hd ones that are around $35 are from china, hong kong, etc... are they 'real'? Are those the ones that you got, md?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I ran into that as well when I was looking but managed to find a pair that shipped out of Texas...or so the auction said. When I got them the box was full of what looked like Chinese newspaper clippings lol. They got here surprisingly fast and were as described though so I wouldn't worry too much about ordering them from China.

Reactions: saps
Upvote 0
Sorry for the delayed reply. I ran into that as well when I was looking but managed to find a pair that shipped out of Texas...or so the auction said. When I got them the box was full of what looked like Chinese newspaper clippings lol. They got here surprisingly fast and were as described though so I wouldn't worry too much about ordering them from China.
md do you recall the Seller's name/memberID? I know you said you purchased over a year ago. Also could you contextualize surprisingly fast? Like a week, 3 days. 2 weeks from purchase date? Thanks

Upvote 0
Alright, so I got the S9-hd's in last week and got them paired with the fascinate. I've now been running with them for a week, and here's what I think:

Pros:
Good sound. They are enjoyable to listen to. I noticed that they do not block out the outside sound (wind, cars, etc) which for me is a good thing as I would like to hear things when I run.
Good fit. They fit into the ear well, and when running they really don't move around. They are pretty dang light.

Cons:
Intermittent loss of signal. I noticed I have to keep the phone really close to the headset. I have been carrying my phone in my hand while running while I wait for the armband to arrive, and if I keep my hands down closer to my waist where I'd like to have them, the sound cuts out a lot... about 50% of the time. If I keep my hands high, then I lose sound about 2% of the time.
Can't put the suckers in srs wow mode. The instructions say to hold the forward button down until you hear a beep. I never get a beep noise.
Other functions don't work for me. If I hit the back button, it will jump to the beginning of the track. Play/pause button does work. But forward does nothing at all. On this note, I also paired the headset with my iPad, and not only did forward not work, back doesn't work with my iPad either. Not sure if it's a bluetooth thing.
On the note of fuction, on the samsung there's a little button on the music player that sets 5.1 channel audio? If I press it while paired with my headset, it pops up a message that says "this works in earplug mode only" or something like that.

Anyway, for ~$35 I am happy with them. I hope once I get my arm band I will have no signal problems. If anyone knows how to get the srs wow audio working, I'm all ears.

Reactions: saps
Upvote 0
Ok, so a little update. Ran about 5 miles this morning, 40 minutes roughly. Wore my armband on my left arm, with the phone in it. I had to take my phone out of the gel I normally have it in to get it to fit.

The audio cut out 6 times (when I say cut out, it's only for a moment. Like a cd skip). And it didn't all happen at one time. My phone was fully charged but the headphones were not so I don't know if that makes a difference. My next run I will ensure that both are fully charged.

There is, however, an interesting side effect with the gps. When I was looking at the course (I use endomondo), I noticed that my distance ran was a little bit shorter. So I looked at the map overlay, and the gps did a very bad job today. I wonder if the armband is causing the gps signal to suck. I have another program called trackerbooster that I have not been using, but I will enable it on Thursday and see if it makes any difference. I really hope that the armband doesn't make the gps this terrible all the time!

Upvote 0
Cons:
Intermittent loss of signal. I noticed I have to keep the phone really close to the headset. I have been carrying my phone in my hand while running while I wait for the armband to arrive, and if I keep my hands down closer to my waist where I'd like to have them, the sound cuts out a lot... about 50% of the time. If I keep my hands high, then I lose sound about 2% of the time.
Can't put the suckers in srs wow mode. The instructions say to hold the forward button down until you hear a beep. I never get a beep noise.
Other functions don't work for me. If I hit the back button, it will jump to the beginning of the track. Play/pause button does work. But forward does nothing at all. On this note, I also paired the headset with my iPad, and not only did forward not work, back doesn't work with my iPad either. Not sure if it's a bluetooth thing.

Firstly, your body can easily block BT signals outside. You'll notice that with any BT headset. Inside BT signal can bounce off walls so you can use your S9's quite far from the phone. Outside, where the signal can't bounce off, the phone needs to be kept up on your arm or somewhere with a direct path to the BT receiver on the headphones. 6 small skips in 40 mins is pretty good, and you prob wont find BT headphones that can do much better.

As for your buttons not working, did you notice this before running with headphones on? Because my S9 button, after repeatedly sweating, also stopped working, and I returned them for a new pair. If your buttons weren't working before the possibility of sweat getting into them, I'd send them back to where you bought them and get a new pair. If not that, I'd send them back to motorola. Motorola was good in that they sent me the new pair first, and then I returned the broken pair, so that I did not have to go without headphones. However, they did send me a refurbished pair, so you might want to try first with the original seller.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones