• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth in the car? I have issues!

LxMxFxD

Android Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2010
First and foremost, I am a BT n00b. But here goes.

I just got an eclipse CD5030 Head Unit in my car. After a lot of trouble I got it to pair with my Hero running fresh 1.1. It sounds good though the BT audio but here is my issue... I can't use the phone features if I use it to play mp3s or a podcast (using doggcatcher). It says (on my phone) "Paired with Eclipse BT media" when I do this. Seems I have to disconnect the phone and pair differently through the CD5030 to get it to use phone features. This names itself "Paired with Eclipse BT Phone".

So, I know there are different BT profiles, but is this normal? That its either, connect th ephone by bluetooth for phone, then disconnect it and pair it differently if I want to use BT for audio? Or is this a problem with the headunit? Because really, I have no idea.

UPDATE

I just talked to a friend of mine who says he can do both functions using his nokia e71 using his JVC-a805.

So the real question at this point is: Can anyone tell me if they got a HU in car to do what I want it to do? PLay an mp3/podcast and also do phone functions? And if so, please disclose which one you have!

First and foremost, I am a BT n00b. But here goes.

I just got an eclipse CD5030 Head Unit in my car. After a lot of trouble I got it to pair with my Hero running fresh 1.1. It sounds good though the BT audio but here is my issue... I can't use the phone features if I use it to play mp3s or a podcast (using doggcatcher). It says (on my phone) "Paired with Eclipse BT media" when I do this. Seems I have to disconnect the phone and pair differently through the CD5030 to get it to use phone features. This names itself "Paired with Eclipse BT Phone".

So, I know there are different BT profiles, but is this normal? That its either, connect th ephone by bluetooth for phone, then disconnect it and pair it differently if I want to use BT for audio? Or is this a problem with the headunit? Because really, I have no idea.

UPDATE

I just talked to a friend of mine who says he can do both functions using his nokia e71 using his JVC-a805.

So the real question at this point is: Can anyone tell me if they got a HU in car to do what I want it to do? PLay an mp3/podcast and also do phone functions? And if so, please disclose which one you have!

Ummmm, I just plug my phone into my stereo deck and listen to music and if a call comes in, my ringtone plays, I answer the phone and I can use the phone thru my stereo.

Upvote 0
Ummmm, I just plug my phone into my stereo deck and listen to music and if a call comes in, my ringtone plays, I answer the phone and I can use the phone thru my stereo.

I can mount the SD card onto the drive, but unfortunately for me this makes it a REAL pain in the ass to play podcasts. I'd much rather do everything thru bluetooth with the doggcatcher player on my phone. GRRR.

Upvote 0
You should be able to get the Hero to connect to your head unit using BOTH the Bluetooth calling profile and the audiovisual profile at the same time. It works with my head unit.

Go into the Bluetooth Settings on the Hero...scroll down to the Bluetooth Devices section. look for your head unit under the list of devices. Long press on the device that represents your head unit until a menu comes up and then select Options. Then make sure you've got both the Media and Phone options selected.

- Astro

Upvote 0
Astro you have saved me sir! Thats all it was. One of the boxes was unchecked. Just checked it, sat down in my car, hit play on the unit, music started... tapped on phone, made a call to 1800callatt. All worked. After call ended music didn't auto resume but all I had to do was press play on my head unit!

Thanks so much sir. This is what happens when you've never driven and your first car is a lambo ;) Ahem.. hero = lambo :-D

Upvote 0
Some head units will automatically resume the music after a call. Depends on the unit and which Bluetooth profiles it's using to communicate with your phone (e.g., A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP, etc. etc.). Bluetooth standards and profiles are really a mess at this point in time. Industry really has to get its act together.

Note that other threads on this forum talk about how the Hero doesn't auto connect to some head units even if Bluetooth is on, etc. Google is making Bluetooth improvements in Android 2.1 so when that comes to the Sprint Hero, there's a chance things will improve with Bluetooth.

Upvote 0
Honestly the bluetooth on my hero + eclipse CD5030 is flawless (once I got it paired). I mean I start a song/podcast on my hero, turn car on and as long as bluetooth is enabled on my phone, starts playing through car speakers within about 3 seconds or so. Pretty amazing stuff.

Only negative: Testing shows it uses about 15% of battery per hour. Luckily the USB jack is there to charge my phone if I ever need it though :)

Upvote 0
Is it an app that lets you bluetooth media through the vehicle? I have the Uconnect in my truck but on the options for both my headset and truck it only shows connect as phone.

I saw a movie with a iphone being played through a fm station, was that just a movie thing or is there an app for smartphones that will let you do that?

Upvote 0
Some head units will automatically resume the music after a call. Depends on the unit and which Bluetooth profiles it's using to communicate with your phone (e.g., A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP, etc. etc.). Bluetooth standards and profiles are really a mess at this point in time. Industry really has to get its act together.

Note that other threads on this forum talk about how the Hero doesn't auto connect to some head units even if Bluetooth is on, etc. Google is making Bluetooth improvements in Android 2.1 so when that comes to the Sprint Hero, there's a chance things will improve with Bluetooth.

I for one hope they DON'T change the bluetooth, it works great for me! If they go changing things there is a chance it will go south and not work, which means I ditch the Hero. A new phone is a lot cheaper than a new stereo!

Upvote 0
I for one hope they DON'T change the bluetooth, it works great for me! If they go changing things there is a chance it will go south and not work, which means I ditch the Hero. A new phone is a lot cheaper than a new stereo!

Dude....I'm sure they won't make it worse. However, FAR more people seem to be having problems with the Bluetooth on this phone than those who aren't. So, frankly, we don't care if it gets worse for you! lol We want the Android 2.X improvements!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones