• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth issue after update

bertbear

Lurker
May 16, 2010
I have been using my Eris to connect to my Pioneer car stereo via bluetooth for months now with no problem. After the upgrade to 2.1 (OTA) the media audio portion hooks right up, but the phone part will not make a usable connection. When I try to connect, the radio will show a connection (after pairing code) but without the phone name. The moment the radio shows the connection the phone displays 'bluetooth headset disconnected' and then the radio loses the connection (but only the phone part, not the media part). I have tried haveing the radio initiate the connection, having the phone do it, resetting the bluetooth on the radio, rebooting the phone, and changing the pin code. I have also tried disabling the media audio portion but nothing seems to help. I had an issue very similar to this about 6 months ago with 1.5 but rebooting the phone would always take care of it.

If I can't figure out something soon, I will have to try Verizon tech support, although I expect the answer they will have is of course it is not the phone.

Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

I am experiencing a similar issue with my bluetooth headset (LG HBM-570) after upgrading to 2.1. I went to pair the headset after the upgrade and it pairs sucessfully for about 2 seconds and then the phone generates a pop-up with a Bluetooth pairing request. That says "please confirm that the device is showing passkey #####" where the #'s change on every attempt. So far as I know, there is no display of a passkey on the headset. I have the options of choosing "Pair" or "don't pair" and when I choose "Pair", I get an error message saying that the passkey was invalid. I never have any opportunity to enter a passkey, it just displays a random one every time I try and connect to the phone. I've tried re-booting the phone with no luck.

Upvote 0
I've heard of this issue. I tried to use the blue tooth to connect my Wii controller (to play classic nintendo games) with no luck. According to one of the developers HTC has gone in a modified the blue tooth base drivers. It only allows one advanced device to connect at a time. That's why the Wii remote won't connect, it connects on a very low level of blue tooth (I know your devices are more advanced). But long answer short is that HTC needs to release a blue tooth patch to fix this issue. There isn't one in the works that Ive heard of.

Upvote 0
I am having exact same issue with my LG Headset asking for a passkey. I went to Verizon yesterday and he wasn't sure so he said to give him a call later today after he had a chance to do some digging. I'll post what happens after I talk to him a bit later today.

He seemed to indicate the possibility of replacing either my phone or the bt device. Not sure either will accomplish anything though.

Upvote 0
I was also having trouble reconnecting mine to my Ford's Sync system. Both the phone & the car would recognize each other and the car would give me a 6 digit pin # to put in the phone but when i would enter 4 or five numbers the phone would show "unable to connect". I just kept trying and after 6 or 7 tries it finally worked.

Upvote 0
Exact Same Friggin Problem....to a tee. Pioneer Headunit That I love and have used religously for years without fail. Updated hero last night and same crap. Media audio works perfect but Phone does not complete connection. I got it to once and then recieved a call and got ERROR-80 on headunit and phone said bluetooth device disconnected. Have not been able to get the phone to connect ever since. This sux. I was so excited to get the update done and now my favorite thing to use with my phone is useless.

I will continue to try re-pairing and connecting and will let u guys know if it eventually works. Any possitive ideas or feedback will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with my Jawbone PRIME; it wouldn't even detect it. When I had 1.5, it was connecting fine, but after I upgraded to 2.1, it stopped even detecting it.

I looked through the user guide and I did a full reset to my Jawbone and it put it back into discovery mode and it finally found it. I'm unfamiliar with ur devices but maybe it needs a full reset. Just a suggestion since it worked for me.

Upvote 0
So after posting today about my similar problem with my pioneer headunit I was in my truck for over 3 hours driving back and forth from an appointment.

During this time i paired and unpaired my hero and headunit over 30 times. I did both discovery by phone and discovery by headunit. They NEVER did allow the phone to work via bluetooth. Everytime, it had no problem pairing for "media" sharing but the phone never did work.

I tried a couple different ways of trying to force/trick them to pair for the phone use. Everytime i did this the headunit would bring up the message "no name found" or "name not found" up in the same section were it lists the name of your phone when things are paired and working properly. The message would come up for one second or less and then the headunit would go back to "no connection" and would show the symbol for Bluetooth Media sharing.

This is really a bummer to me. I was so excited to finally get the update after waiting what seems like forever for Sprint to release it before i finally gave up and decided to root and rom so that i could join the rest of the android world and get out of the stone age. So, now im quite depressed and annoyed because as i said before my favorite $500 phone accesory is totally useless. I'm hoping that one of these wonderful people that are much more tech savy then myself will come up with a fix or another option to make me happy again......no pressure:)

Upvote 0
Just adding to the list so everyone knows how big this problem is... Before upgrading my HTC Eris to Android 2.1 my bluetooth headset was working fine. After the upgrade... not a chance.

I'm pretty sure this is an HTC problem and they need to at least acknowledge the issue. Rumors on the HTC forums are that their developers modified the Bluetooth base drivers. If so they need to either fix the problem or roll back - either way, we all need a patch or at least a plan.

Upvote 0
Just adding to the list so everyone knows how big this problem is... Before upgrading my HTC Eris to Android 2.1 my bluetooth headset was working fine. After the upgrade... not a chance.

I'm pretty sure this is an HTC problem and they need to at least acknowledge the issue. Rumors on the HTC forums are that their developers modified the Bluetooth base drivers. If so they need to either fix the problem or roll back - either way, we all need a patch or at least a plan.

had same problem with bluetooth not pairing requiring passkey went verizon store.. and the guy said just hit the back button when that screen appears and was able to connect, as soon as i left the store.. ugh it connected but i couldnt get sound out of bluetooth.. POS !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones