• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Issues with EVO

wdimagineer

Lurker
Jun 12, 2010
I have a 2010 Volkswagen CC with factory Bluetooth. The EVO pairs fine and I can make/receive calls. However there are a few issues that are bugging me to no end and keeping me from loving this phone.

First, I'm randomly missing phonebook contacts. The car downloads the phonebook so I can browse it on my nav screen or on the instrument cluster display. I have around 250 contacts, most with multiple numbers, so the total visible in the car display should be around 550. With the EVO, many are missing. This never happened with any of my iPhones or BlackBerries. In fact, I even did a test with Gmail sync and deleted a bunch of contacts, leaving only a few important ones. They were still missing.

Second, when I dial a number from the phonebook the call fails. It appears that the phone doesn't like receiving any numbers with punctuation, like dashes. So if I pick a contact with number 123-456-7890 and dial it, the phone actually dials 123569, etc. If I change the entry to remove the dashes or dial it with the car manually it works just fine.

I'm always on the phone in my car. It's against the law where I live (DC) to hold it up to my face and they've been pretty aggressive about it lately. My iPhone 3GS never had a problem with this... I don't know why the EVO does.

Is this Android in general or HTC's implementation of Bluetooth stack? I see a Nexus One user with a similar issue on another forum.

Fortunately I didn't port to Sprint and am just taking advantage of the 30 days. I've already been through 4 EVO's due to substandard build quality and display issues. I love this phone and the screen but am hesitant to keep it because of the BT issues and the unknown release schedule for 2.2.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones