• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth Keyboard for Droid - Faster Typing

Hmmm... apk loader? Debug certificates?

I'm getting the impression this won't work like a normal app where you just click "install" then fire it up and start typing on your BT keyboard? I'm not very savvy when it comes to this type of cell phone stuff, but I would love to be able to take notes this way :(

Upvote 0
i agree with you... but in reality its not that easy under Android. Its a little easier on Blackberry and way easier on Windows Mobile.

If you take at look at the driver user manual you will see the steps required such as;

1. Discovering keyboard or enter Mac address manually (Driver)
2. Set the Locale Input Method (Android OS)
3. Set the Text Input Method (Android OS)
4. Start the driver and wait for the connection (Driver)

But these steps only need to performed once.

Until I can get the driver in the Android Market the only way to install it is via Windows apk installer.

Upvote 0
i agree with you... but in reality its not that easy under Android. Its a little easier on Blackberry and way easier on Windows Mobile.

If you take at look at the driver user manual you will see the steps required such as;

Until I can get the driver in the Android Market the only way to install it is via Windows apk installer.

I'll play with it tonight when I get home, hopefully I can remember... ;)

Upvote 0
Everyone,

Sorry for not being completely ready on the driver before i post the original message.

I recompiled the driver and signed it with a production certificate. The new version was uploaded to the site this morning.

I only have a G1 to work with so if anyone interested in testing the driver and have a SPP keyboard and other Android/Droid device please let me know.

In return for using your Android or Droid device to test the driver with one of the supported keyboards I can offer you a free registration key.

thanks everyone...

Upvote 0
Everyone,

Sorry for not being completely ready on the driver before i post the original message.

I recompiled the driver and signed it with a production certificate. The new version was uploaded to the site this morning.

I only have a G1 to work with so if anyone interested in testing the driver and have a SPP keyboard and other Android/Droid device please let me know.

In return for using your Android or Droid device to test the driver with one of the supported keyboards I can offer you a free registration key.

thanks everyone...

Well, the .apk loads on my Droid (2.0) now. But since I don't have one of the supported keyboards, that's as far as I can go. Thanks though!

Upvote 0
yes barry99705 is correct. Make sure you get a SPP keyboard. iGo Stowaway ultra-slim keyboard and iGo Stowaway universal keyboard are HID compatible not SPP.

here is a list of SPP keyboards that i tested:

* ThinkOutside Shasta Keyboard
* Freedom Input Universal Keyboard I & II
* Chainpas SmartKeyboard
* Freedom Blackberry Keyboard
* Amzer SmartKeyboard
* Xema BlueKeyboard
* Snap-N-Type Keyboard

Upvote 0
yes barry99705 is correct. Make sure you get a SPP keyboard. iGo Stowaway ultra-slim keyboard and iGo Stowaway universal keyboard are HID compatible not SPP.

here is a list of SPP keyboards that i tested:

* ThinkOutside Shasta Keyboard
* Freedom Input Universal Keyboard I & II
* Chainpas SmartKeyboard
* Freedom Blackberry Keyboard
* Amzer SmartKeyboard
* Xema BlueKeyboard
* Snap-N-Type Keyboard

Hey, do you happen to know if anybody is working on a hid bluetooth stack for the droid? Would be handy cause then we'd be able to use a mouse as well. Well actually anything hid compliant.

Upvote 0

Naw, I used a DROID installer, without Windows. I put the keyboard driver .apk file on my SD card first. Then went to the Android Market and installed "eoeAppInstaller". It copies .apks from your SD card and installs them on your phone. Worked perfectly.

Upvote 0

Thanks for pointing this out. You wrote a good manual. Users who don't read it and don't incorporate the steps outlined above will have problems. I would have. I never "RTFM" but did this time.

When you post your app to market, I assume you'll have a payed version with an integrated key. And maybe a free trial version. Geez, I hate entering keys.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I’m hoping I don’t have to go to the Android Market. I’m in talks with some keyboard manufacture now and so far the interest is there. But if it backfires then the Market will be the way to go.

The driver will be locked if I have to take it to market myself but it does allow users to use the driver. The caveat is for example after say 500 characters a bad *** Unregistered *** message is injected into the document being worked on. It was this or completely lock the driver after some time period.

But hay anyone that ask for a key now until I can finalize the offer from the keyboard manufactures will get one for free. This offer is still open.

* When asking for keys, i will need your keyboard MAC Address. Just post your request in this forum and i'll respond with a key.

btw... thanks for the tip on loading these .apk files using SD cards. I have to remember this in case some ask.

Upvote 0
I read all the threads and I follow most of it. I just want to ask a clarifying question. If I install your driver will my apple wireless keyboard work?

If you're not sure is there a way I can test it before I purchase your program?

I don't use a computer to work with my droid, would doing the whole SD card thing be the easiest?

If this works you are the man! I've been looking forward for this for a long time!
Thanks

Upvote 0
The driver is written so that it will connect to any SPP compatible keyboard out there without the need for a registration key. This will let anyone interested test the driver with their keyboards.

However, this does not mean that the keyboard keys are 100% mapped correctly to your keyboard. If your keyboard is not on the list mentioned at my site as compatible, your keyboard might connect to the driver but you will see garbage in the document you are writing. This is a promising sign tho

Upvote 0
I don't use a computer to work with my droid, would doing the whole SD card thing be the easiest?

Thanks

One way or another, you need a computer for part of the process. Either a windows machine to install the .apk file directly, or some way to get the .apk file onto the SD card (typically via USB from a computer). I just prefer to install .apks locally from SD, because I am a linux user and can't utilize the windows installer.

I don't think the DROID browser allows direct downloads to the SD card from the web. Correct me if I'm wrong (it would be handy to do so).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones