1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bluetooth Keyboard help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by drj, Jul 30, 2013.

1. drj

drj Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    I recently purchased a Spider bluetooth keyboard and I can get it to pair with my Nexus 7 (which recently updated to 4.3). The tablet recognizes it, and I type in the numerical code and press enter on the keyboard and the Nexus 7 responds. However, I can't get it to work in any other app after it pairs (I've tried unpairing it, turning it off/on, restarting the tablet, etc).

I went to settings and Input settings and it is not listed as an option. Google Keyboard is set as the default, and voice typing is also checked. Other languages are listed (Google Hindi, Korean, etc) but not checked but there is no keyboard option.

Any ideas or help?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello drj. Welcome to the forums.

Some of the reviews mention a user manual that came with the device. I've not seen a download for it, so I can't go through it as I wanted to so I could offer some advice about that. Do you have that user manual?

All I can think of right now, since you've got it to pair with your Nexus 7, is to start over by first going in and removing all data and cache related to bluetooth and the keyboard itself, then rebooting and giving it another try. I'm thinking that if you've had other bluetooth devices paired with the tablet, maybe there's a conflict.

Let's see if others chime in about this. :)

3. drj

drj Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    The manual is basically a quick start guide with images for how to connect it to a PC or a Ipad.

I deleted the bluetooth cache and switched everything on and off again. I couldn't find a way to delete or disable the other inputs but they are all unchecked now.

Then I installed a 3rd party "Bluetooth keyboard helper" app demo and I can type into it, because it let's me select the program as a different input. However, only the letter and number keys work (not space bar or backspace, etc.)

So it seems the problem isn't so much with the bluetooth connection but software related?

4. thenrik

thenrik Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010

5. sheureka

sheureka Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    I use a Logitech BT keyboard and it works perfectly. Here's the link - Tablet Keyboard for Android Tablets & Windows 8 Tablets - Logitech - though I got it for less than that at the Logitech store (open box). It shows up on the input setting as "Physical Keyboard" - Broadcom Bluetooth HID and has auto capitalize, auto space, and auto punctuation. It also has tablet specific keys which I've found very convenient. It works really well with my Android phone too.

Just noticed it's on Amazon (and it's the one I bought, not the one for Windows 8) for only $29.99 - Amazon.com: Logitech 920-003390 Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 Plus: Electronics.

6. thenrik

thenrik Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Hi:

Thanks for the clarification. Others have reported compati bility with Logitech keyboards as well. I also saw a post that the Rapoo E6100 works with the Nexus 7 as well.

I wrote the same post to Android Police and Cameron Summerson ran with it posting an article today:
    PSA: Android 4.3 Breaks Compatibility With Many Bluetooth Keyboards

Hopefully the article will bring the issue to Google's attention and an upcoming fix will come for the rest of us.

An Android Police user commented:
    "I hear they have "top men" working on the issue :p Getting Google to admit the problem exists is the first step. A HUGE first step."

I just hope it's the case.

Best,

Tom Henriksen

ajholz1 likes this.