• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth keyboards for Gingerbread (2.3.5)

I'm new to Android devices, but very impressed so far. I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and would like to use a Bluetooth keyboard with it. I bought (and returned quickly) a roll up keyboard that sort of worked for about 30 seconds. I'm now thinking that a one-piece, non-foldable keyboard is the way to go. However, I'm confused. There is either very little information out there or conflicting reviews. I'm now looking at the Logitech BT keyboard for Android 3.0, but I have no idea if it'll work. And, I'm confused. I thought Gingerbread (2.3.5) was the newest OS. So, what's 3.0? Will the Logitech keyboard work on my Galaxy Player? Of course, where I live, there are very few stores that handle any technology, and of those, they either don't carry BT keyboards or it's a very limited selection (only for iPads and other Apple devices). (BTW, I love Apple products, but I think the Galaxy Player is a much better choice than an iPod Touch.)

So, will the Logitech 3.0 keyboard work? Does anyone have any other suggestions (especially for the budget conscious buyer)?

Thanks!

Alright, listen up! The Logitech, or Apple or almost any bluetooth keyboard WILL work technically. I use them with my Flyer running Gingerbread.

There is one thing however, not all keys work right. Caps lock for example, the shift key acts like it does on soft keyboard. Double tap and caps lock. Arrow keys are also messed up.

Edited to add:

DO NOT BUY THAT KEYBOARD IN THE CASE! IT IS USB NOT BLUETOOTH!

Upvote 0
I can confirm that the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 WILL work on a tablet running Android 2.3 even though it doesn't seem like it is supported. Just pair the keyboard and enter any 4 digit pin on the tablet, then immediately type in the same 4 digit pin on the Logitech keyboard and hit Enter. Viola! I read about this solution on another forum and I was PSYCHED because this is a sweet little keyboard and I didn't think it was going to work at first on my rooted Nook Color.

Reactions: dmanlee
Upvote 0
I'm using this keyboard now. It connected without any problems. And seems to work fine, with a few exceptions. For some characters, such as those above the numbers, the shift key doesn't work, but the alt key does. The left shift key sticks occasionally, as well. In general, it's fairly easy to type on, and certainly beats the on-screen keyboards. I'm wondering if the problems have more to do with the devices than the operating systems. Doesn't make much sense to me with limited knowledge of Android.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 WILL work on a tablet running Android 2.3 even though it doesn't seem like it is supported. Just pair the keyboard and enter any 4 digit pin on the tablet, then immediately type in the same 4 digit pin on the Logitech keyboard and hit Enter. Viola! I read about this solution on another forum and I was PSYCHED because this is a sweet little keyboard and I didn't think it was going to work at first on my rooted Nook Color.

Just wanted to give out a big thanks. I bought one of these Logitech Tablet Keyboards at Best Buy couple weeks ago because they were selling at the great price of $40 (-$10 rewards coupon = $30) and it was too much of a steal to resist. However, I bought the iPad version, knowing that I would be getting one after the iPad 3 is released. lol, buying the cart before the horse as it were.

Was hoping it might work with my Nexus S 4G somehow in the meantime. Initially couldn't get it to work because there was obviously no code popping up on the screen to type in during pairing process with the phone. I tried the BlueInput app from Android Market and that worked ok but was a little laggy, and it would skip keystrokes.

Kept googling the interwebs and found this thread. Your tip about typing in a code on the phone and then immediately typing it into the keyboard + Enter was a Godsend. The Fn volume up/down keys work and I'm able to select text w/ Shift & arrow keys. Best part is it remembers the pairing so the keyboard starts working a few seconds after turning it on.

This is gonna be great for taking notes in class and typing out e-mails for work. lol, Yes, people will look at me funny with this aesthetically-odd setup. But the convenience of not lugging around a laptop all the time to have access to a REAL keyboard is worth it several times over.

Upvote 0
i would of suggested searching amazon for "mini bluetooth keyboards" due to the cost efficiency(anywhere from $5-$$$$$), the BT keyboards at any physical store are extremely over priced.
Android 3.0 is Honeycomb, which was released strictly for tablets, and not phones.
The latest version of android is actually 4.0(ice cream sandwich, or ICS for short)
and is supposed to branch across any and all phones(that are capable of running Gingerbread(Android 2.3+) and tablets.
its sad that their is a lack of Bluetooth specialty stores, especially in AZ.

Upvote 0
Hello - I was able to pair these two devices (Pandigital Supernova running Android 2.3 and the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for Android 3.0+). It says paired but not connected - any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Hello - I was able to pair these two devices (Pandigital Supernova running Android 2.3 and the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for Android 3.0+). It says paired but not connected - any suggestions?

I have the same problem with a Vizio vtab1008 with android 2.3.2. It pairs with the Logitech keyboard just fine, but what good is being paired if it's not connected? How do I get it connected? I've powered off the tablet, the keyboard, both, unpaired and re-paired, I'm stumped. What's the point of being paired without being connected? Ridiculous concept. :mad:

Upvote 0
Just letting you know that I was able to pair the Logitech Bluetooth Tablet Keyboard Works with my Droid X2.

This Droid X2 is running a stock, but rooted Gingerbread 2.3.5. I installed the free app "Bluetooth Keyboard Easyconnect".

Procedure: when scanning for devices (in the bluetooth control panel), I could see the keyboard (after pushing the "connect" button on the keyboard). I tapped the icon of the device to pair with it, it pops up a blank pairing code window. I typed four digits (7777) into the window and hit the pair button. I immediately typed the same four digits on my keyboard and hit the "Enter" key, and it connected.

Upvote 0
Anyone know how to make an HTC Sensation XE recognise a UK keyboard layout? I'm running GingerBread and it pairs and connects instantly with my HP Touchpad bluetooth keyboard which I bought specifically to make note-taking and emails easier.
It works well with email but transposes some keys to a US-style layout. It also doesn't like Polaris Office at all which is what came bundled with my mobile. Any free alternatives that you guys can recommend?
Would sorely love to get it to recognise the UK layout. Help appreciated.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have a keyboard, that they can verify (via use) will work with the HTC Rhyme.

I am finding way to many online listings, that will claim (in one sentence) to work with the HTC Rhyme, but then have in the system requirements a list of operating systems that does not include android.
I suspect that multiple sites are just generating the text for the listing, based on the phone I am searching on.

I find listings on Amazon, that claim to work with android 2.3 yet have reviews indicating they do not.

So before I actually invest in a keyboard, I would like someone to verify that it does work with the HTC Rhyme.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to connect my Pandigital SuperNova (running Android 2.3) with my Targus bluetooth keyboard (which should work with Android 2.3) and am getting the message "paired but not connected".

Does anyone have a solution for this?

The Targus guy said to check if the tablet has an HID profile, and I can't find anything to say one way or another. The Pandigital people are pretty useless on this front.

Any help?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello all!

Just a quick question...
I have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 US (Love it!), an HP bluetooth mouse, and a Logitech tablet keyboard.

When I paired the mouse it worked right away. (Love it!)

My problem is the keyboard. When I pair it, no little pass key window appears... After awhile I type something like "0000", and it reports the keyboard had the wrong code...

I have successfully paired the keyboard with my desktop computer running XP. The little pass key window appeared there, everything went smoothly. Works great.

Did I do something wrong? Would a factory reset fix it? (ie: remove whatever is inter fearing?)

Thanks for your time!reseting to factory didn't do anything different...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones