• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

pillbug

Nov 2, 2011
My company provided us with Fitbit health trackers, and they're really cool. They have the ability to wirelessly sync with Apple iPhone 4S and 5, and some of the Samsung Galaxy line. In wondering why they didn't seem to work with anything else Android, I discovered that it appears to be because Android doesn't (yet) support BLE. This is apparently a Google decision, (or lack thereof) and may have little to do with hardware, as long as your device is Bluetooth 4.0 compliant. I would think if this is a matter of adding some simple code, then the Cyanogenmod community might be all over it. At the very least, if it is a small matter of code, I'm curious if there's any interest here. I'm not even sure if our phone is Bluetooth 4.0 compliant, but it would seem it is, given 4.0 came out in 2010.

Thanks!

My company provided us with Fitbit health trackers, and they're really cool. They have the ability to wirelessly sync with Apple iPhone 4S and 5, and some of the Samsung Galaxy line. In wondering why they didn't seem to work with anything else Android, I discovered that it appears to be because Android doesn't (yet) support BLE. This is apparently a Google decision, (or lack thereof) and may have little to do with hardware, as long as your device is Bluetooth 4.0 compliant. I would think if this is a matter of adding some simple code, then the Cyanogenmod community might be all over it. At the very least, if it is a small matter of code, I'm curious if there's any interest here. I'm not even sure if our phone is Bluetooth 4.0 compliant, but it would seem it is, given 4.0 came out in 2010.

Thanks!

Our device has Bluetooth 2.1 according to VM, which would have noway of being near 4.0 without hardware changes

Ive actually only just started to see devices come native with 4.0 bluetooth, when i went to the electronic store for an adapter the pc guy literally had no clue what i was even talking about lol gotta love bestbuy

Reactions: pillbug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones