• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth not working when phone is locked

This seems to be a known issue. Sucks for me since adding my work exchange account forces my to have a lock screen w/ a PIN. This was real fun the first day I noticed it - nothing like driving and troubleshooting my phone. I found an app called "No Lock" that is a widget that can toggle the lock screen on and off. When I get in my car I disable the lock screen (which isn't so bad since I usually have to turn BT back on anyway).

Upvote 0
I got a reply on the Motorola support forum:

I learned that it's designed this way. If not, someone could use the headset to access the phone, since voice command can do more than just dial. It's considered a security risk. I find this reasonable if not super-compelling.

I suppose this is true, but still not very functional either.

Reactions: Poe
Upvote 0
Hmmm doesn't sound like a convincing reason to me.
Bluetooth devices need to be paired before they should be able to access your device. What prevents a person from accessing your phone via BT when its unlocked then?

On my Droidx I can control the music player via my BT headset when the phone is locked... I just cannot issue voice commands.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones