• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth OBDII dongle

Has anyone picked up a Bluetooth OBDII dongle to use with the
torque or engine management programs yet?

Just wondering which you guys chose, because the price
varies SO much, Ive found them for 25 bucks up to over 200.:stupid:
And by torques own website, they say you dont need the
latest greatest most expensive but the cheaper ones are
hit and miss, which would be the case with a cheaper product.

TBH, I just picked up an OBD2 reader for about 60 bucks and it offers nearly all of the options that the app/bluetooth does. I looked into it for a while, but couldn't find a solution that I was comfortable with when it came to the bluetooth stuff. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about getting my phone all nasty when I'm working on a car and using my OBD2 reader.

Reactions: Jasonpwms129
Upvote 0
TBH, I just picked up an OBD2 reader for about 60 bucks and it offers nearly all of the options that the app/bluetooth does. I looked into it for a while, but couldn't find a solution that I was comfortable with when it came to the bluetooth stuff. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about getting my phone all nasty when I'm working on a car and using my OBD2 reader.

What OBD2 reader did you find for $60 that does realtime data monitoring and tracking?

Typically, the simple OBD2 code readers are $30-40 when they aren't on sale, and those provide you no data - just codes.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Has anyone picked up a Bluetooth OBDII dongle to use with the
torque or engine management programs yet?

Just wondering which you guys chose, because the price
varies SO much, Ive found them for 25 bucks up to over 200.:stupid:
And by torques own website, they say you dont need the
latest greatest most expensive but the cheaper ones are
hit and miss, which would be the case with a cheaper product.

check this thread out from over on NASIOC. a guy's running a $24 one in a WRX with Torque pro. I'm about to do the same thing in my subie. apparently the readings are pretty accurate. I don't think i'd rely solely on this for monitoring engine health, but you can see it in action there.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2367682

Upvote 0
I use a generic $15 obdII adapter from amazon, some cheap chinese company with 3 letters in their name - don't remember the exact name.

I've used it on both a Chevy Cruze and Corvette - worked flawlessly on both with my Samsung Nexus phone and Droid Bionic. Haven't gotten my N7 yet but I don't imagine having any issues with it...

Upvote 0
Today i buy an OBD2 reader-v100 ,it is useful,As long as there is with Android system,it can link my android phone, The most important thing is to have the voice prompts, once I speeding, it reminded me,I also took pictures for everyone to take a look

(moderator note - please click Samany's name and visit his profile, then Albums to see the pictures :))
samany-albums-phone-picture7999-img-1132.html

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
A while back I purchased $25 adapter and it quit after about a month. The old OBD adapters generally ran either Bluetooth on Android devices or WiFi on iOS devices (to get around Apple's MFi rules and regulations, but generally did not work on both OS.

I have been running Kiwi 3 obd2 car to smartphone adapter for about 4 months, it works great, and despite the price tag I highly recommend it. Kiwi 3 runs Bluetooth LE which makes it compatible with both iOS and Android – It can be left plugged in my car, automatically connects when I start my car, and runs Torque and Dashcommand on both my Note 5 and Tab 10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones