1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Bluetooth Peripherals

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheAmazingDave, Jun 12, 2011.

1. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    Was anyone else curious enough to pair a Bluetooth mouse to their Nook? Was anyone else subsequently surprised and over elated when they then moved the mouse and saw a moving pointer grace their Nook's screen?

Any native support for BT keyboards? I'd try mine but I don't have batteries for it. :(

Oh, and I'm running CM7 nightly #96. Mouse is a Logitech Mx1000. The keyboard, which is a Logitech Mx5000, did work with a 3rd party app with stable CM7.0.3, but I haven't tried it with the nightlies.

Advertisement

2. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    I've seen a lot of talk on XDA about bluetooth keyboards. Seems to be a lot of success. Someone just mentioned that they bought this one, which is a keyboard/touch pad combo. You can apparently also get the proper USB adapter and just plug a USB mouse into your Nook.

3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Does bluetooth only work with CM7, or is there some incantation I have to do? :)
    I rooted using ManualNooter and am running Phiremod 6.3. When I try to turn on BT it never comes one. It seems that the only direct references I've seen for BR are on CM7, but Phiremod is based on CM7, so maybe I'm just missing a step.

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    BT was never turned on with the stock NC and still is in the quirky stage. Range is about a foot for transmitting and several for receiving. Not sure if it's the antenna designed for wifi-only or what.

I bought a BT GPS unit, hoping to play with a 7" screen. All I get is "paired, but not connected".

To turn on BT, turn off wireless. Hold down power button until it shuts off on it's own, about 7 seconds or so. Then turn it back on and turn on BT, then wireless after BT is on. After that it should work normally.

BTW, do NOT turn on airplane mode or you'll have wireless turned off every time you turn it on. There's an easy fix tho. :D

You might find this interesting: http://quinxy.com/guides/nook-color-modding-faq/#bluetooth

5. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    Bluetooth is pretty stable in this build, I can turn it off or on freely.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    BTW, the fix for airplane mode:

Install Android Assistant, open it, click "tools" at the top, then tap the airplane icon on lower right. It'll turn gray. Done. :D

[​IMG]

Any other fix I've seen has you doing ADB commands which is a lot of work.

Podivin likes this.
  7. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    Posting this right now using my Bluetooth Mx5000 and Mx1000 set on my NC. The keyboard response is fantastic! It has no trouble keeping up with me. I couldn't say the same about the 3rd party driver I had to use in stable CM7.0.3.

Getting both devices to connect is a pain and has a 50/50 of locking the GUI, although my music keeps playing in the background. I have good success linking the keyboard first, and then the mouse. Once they're both connected and responding, it's failry trouble-free.

8. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Soooo, it IS an incantation.
    Thank you Mr Wizard.
    :)

9. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    LOL The more I use it, the more I realize how troublesome it really is...

I find the keyboard connects without incident every time so far, it's the mouse that causes the problem. The issue seems to be when the system loads the mouse pointer. This has worked the most often for me; just nudge the mouse so it initiates the connection. Once I see the BT status icon indicate a link, I change the desktop page before I move the mouse. Then once I nudge the mouse again, the pointer usually appears in the top left corner. Once the pointer is loaded, it seems to work trouble-free.

Just thought I'd tack this on instead of making a new post:

This seems to be a fool-proof way to connect the BT mouse and assumes you've already paired the mouse; first enable Bluetooth on the Nook, and allow it to initialize. Connecting the mouse too early will likely lock up the GUI. Once the BT icon is present in the status bar, nudge the mouse or press one of its buttons. This should initiate the link between the mouse and Nook without actually telling the Nook the pointer has moved. This seems important, because if the Nook registers movement before the mouse pointer appears, the GUI will likely lock.

After you've coaxed the mouse to open the link, the BT status icon will change to indicate a link. Once this has occured, swipe your desktop left or right to change screens. Once the screen has changed, and any animations have finished, nudge the mouse again. The pointer should appear on the top left corner of the screen. If you move the mouse without moving the screen first, the pointer won't appear and the GUI will lock.

Once the pointer has appeared, there isn't much issue. The keyboard has no trouble connecting at any time.

And as always, YMMV.

RJT185 likes this.
  10. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    It's working great! Totally in love... About to turn my laptop into a frisbee.

[​IMG]

11. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Very cool Dave.

TheAmazingDave likes this.
  12. RJT185

RJT185 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Are you using a stable CM7 or nightlies on a regular basis? In essence should any BT KB work? (ie: something like this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/for-android/devices/tablet-keyboard-android)

I'm thinking about purchasing a NookColor and BTkeyboard before leaving for vacation next week. :)

Thanks!

13. TheAmazingDave

None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    I'm currently running #110 with Dal's 6/18 kernel. The BT mouse and keyboard are working pretty flawlessly at this point. I just turn on the Bluetooth, turn on my mouse and keyboard, and everything connects and works fine. The mouse lags sometimes, but I'm not sure if it's my old mouse or the poor range on the Nook. Regardless, as usual, I'm replying to you using my BT devices to browse.

I haven't looked at your link yet, but any BT keyboard should work. Android doesn't support the 10-key, and the arrows don't always work as expected. I'd say the smaller the keyboard, the better. That is, not so small that you can't type on it normally... 89% size is the smallest I'm comfortable with.

USB host support is also working now in the latest builds. If you can find a micro USB-to-USB female converter, you can plug in a USB device directly or a hub and run a USB keyboard and mouse. Basic equipment only; Nook's USB power draw is limited to 100 mA IIRC. A USB coupler on the end of a regular micro USB cable will also work, there's nothing special in the connection.

14. RJT185

RJT185 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah. I'm just hoping for a keyboard large enough to type comfortably but the 10-key numeric keypad and additional buttons are not essential. I can probably also get away with 89% of size ... something more than just my droid2 keyboard for when I'm just chilling and watching tv or on vacations that taking a laptop would be overkill.

15. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I hope your NC experience is better than mine.

I was on a Princess cruise ship to Alaska, which meant expensive satellite Internet (which I did not purchase) and limited use of my cell phone as well so only had a couple sessions of useable 3G on my phone on bus excursions and no time with my Nook.

Being in and out of Canada didn't help either. I tried to use airplane mode to prevent problems, but didn't always turn it on in time. I'm afraid to see what might end up on my VZ bill. :D

16. DoAndroidDream?

DoAndroidDream? Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Has anyone tried using a Phonejoy BT gamepad with their NC?

Looks like it would be great for emulators. I am not a fan of most touch control games, especially action games. They just don't play well. Maybe with thsi though...

Phonejoy - News

Honestly, I'd like one that just plugs into the mini-USB port.