1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bluetooth Photo File Transfer Hang - LTE or ROM Issue??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scudder, Dec 25, 2012.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Hiya...

Seems that I'm not successful transferring more than 15 or 16 photos/videos from my EVO LTE to my computer (MacBook Pro). I've had as few as 7 or 8 successful but lately 15 or 16 is max.

They are 5MP IMAG photo files and video files, anywhere from 1.8 MB to larger video files (e.g., 10.1 MB is the latest successful file). The failure seems to be random...not necessarily on a large file or a small file. For instance, I'm staring at file 23 out of 30 that I tried to transfer just STUCK at 580 KB out of 1.8 MB (IMAG file) at 80 KB/s speed with 17 seconds left...just STUCK like I said. Going, going, going then STOPS DEAD....

Trying to figure out if this is a phone issue (LTE or the Viper4G ROM) or a computer issue or just a general bluetooth issue?? I transfer files this way with my Nexus S 4G and do not seem to have this problem.

THANKS!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Last we spoke on this, you had a Mac version issue with Android File Transfer.

Am I remembering correctly?

As I run an older Mac version and don't have this problem, once again, it is not Viper4G. It might not even be the phone.

How are you doing file transfers?

3. scudder

scudder Android Expert

You are correct with the prior AFT issue (the images where not appearing in the folders in the finder when connected though, obviously, did exist on the device)!! I have since stopped plugging the phone in to the computer via USB. You suggested a wifi transfer route which was "decent" however it required me to establish a connection via webpage or similar to access the files. This bluetooth transfer was VERY simple: pair the phone to the computer, initiate transfer from my phone, either manually accept or have computer auto-accept transfer from phone/device to folder and done. No need for browser window or other interface....just send from phone and they were on my computer.

So the failure I am experiencing now is with bluetooth connection, specifically using the QuickPic app...which now that I'm typing, I might have to see is an issue with the APP I just mentioned, though I didn't have an issue before.

I'll have to go see if I can transfer files via bluetooth using another app/option with the phone which is possible but I'm not positive....

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Ah.

If you're using Bluetooth File Transfer on the Mac, that's frustrating. First it worked great, then they deprecated it, then brought it back, and now gets picky about which Bluetooth levels it supports, explaining why your Nexus works but your phone doesn't. I miss the simplicity of Bluetooth File Transfer.

Ok, next step would be a network drive program.

SwiFTP or DavDrive Lite. With SwiFTP, enter the ftp address given with Safari, and the drive (phone /sdcard) will appear in your browser.

Of course, that used to bi-directional, but Apple changed that so only download to Mac works. Sorry, I'm just the messenger.

If you want to bypass everything, you can use adb pull over your usb cable, but it's a bit more work.

scudder likes this.
  5. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Understood now...I see my options. Never knew the "behind the scenes" changes with one OS (e.g., handling Android File Transfer issues) or Bluetooth level (e.g., my current issue). Still odd to me that it'll work great then hang/fail in the middle...seems to me that it should work or not work at all...:thinking::thinking:

Anyway, I'm familiar with SwiFTP (used with my old EVO) and that DavDrive (on your suggestion recently with my AFT issue) so off I go...oh well...THANKS!!

EarlyMon likes this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews