• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth problem, anyone else?

Jamamp

Lurker
May 21, 2011
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here but I've been reading the forum for about a week now, ever since I got my Thunderbolt. I've upgraded from like a 5 year old Samsung clamshell phone that could barely text so I'm still figuring out all the nooks and crannies. This thing is like a mansion with secret passageways and trapdoors. I've been trying to get the Bluetooth feature to work with my friend's TB so we can transfer files back and forth but I just can't get it to work. Using the same program, either "Astro Bluetooth Module" or "Bluetooth File Transfer" I'm not able to connect to his Thunderbolt. I've checked the settings in each program and they're identical. The main bluetooth settings are the same as well. He doesn't have a problem grabbing my files but I just can't figure out how to connect to his phone. I can't see any sort of firewall that could stop me (if there even is such a thing). When I try to connect to his phone, I get the following message:

Service error

Can't start "File Transfer Profile"
(OBEX FTP) service search.

Reason:
Return value is "false".

What could this possibly mean? I've Googled it a few times but I can't find any real help on it. Is it a problem with my phone? Could the "device name" or the type of connection (WiFi vs 3G) be causing the problem? The phones are sitting about a foot apart and I'm wracking my brain trying to find out what the issue could be.

Please, any help would be most appreciated.

- Jason

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones