1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bluetooth Q: Change Phone Name on my '11 VW

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by r20, Apr 1, 2011.

1. r20

r20 Newbie
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    Male
    Kenmore, Wa.
    My 2011 Volkswagen GTI's Multi Function Indicator shows the phone name as SGH-I897 which is, technically at least, correct - that is the model number of my Samsung Galaxy S Android Captivate phone. When I picked the car up the salesman sort of whizzed thru this part and it looks like if I want MFI to recognise the new Bluetooth name that I have chosen for my Captivate I will need to restore the factory settings (at least that's my initial guess........). Is there a simpler way than this?

Btw, my Bluetoth is ON on my Captivate, I have chosen a new Device name, and I have made the device Visible. My "VW PHONE" Bluetooth device is currently paired but not connected (I'm not currently in the car).

Advertisement

2. DynaBlue

DynaBlue Member
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    I had a loaner '11 CC and I noticed the same thing but have no answer for you as I only had the car a few days and never bothered searching for ways to rename the phone.

I also noticed that the battery drained like gangbusters after I disconnected from the car regardless of whether I disconnected from the MFI or just walked away after shutting the car off. While the phone worked well in the car I would also get stuttering sound on my BT headset or the phone speaker after disconnecting which required restarting the phone. Captivate just doesn't seem to play well with VW's bluetooth system.

You might want to ask around on this site: askavwsalesguy.com as he seems to have a section devoted to the MFI bluetooth.