1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support bluetooth received? potential VIRUS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eager_newbie, Feb 23, 2011.

1. eager_newbie

eager_newbie Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Back story
    Something really weird happened. I have sprint Evo. I have not been using bluetooth feature until now. I started using just three days ago with the my plantronics bluetooth head set. I use it only if I have to, i.e. I do not keep them connected unless I am driving. I don't even keep my phone's bluetooth feature on if I am not planning to use. It drains the battery like anybody's business.
    Fore story?
    The story starts today I had my bluetooth off. I looked in my phone and there is a unfamilier icon sitting on my screen. It touched and it opened the "Bluetooth received" window which showed me three identical links: "DataMover.sis" I touched first link and it opened message/error saying: Unknown file type, there is no application to handle this type of file.
    I am happy for that part as that could very well be a virus.

So many questions!
    1. How could I receive a bluetooth (that's what window title says) if it was not on?
    2. If I received it when it was on (two days ago) then it should ask me to allow to be transferred to my phone right?
    3. It can't just download itself right?
    4. If it a message/data transferred why is it sitting on my home screen like an application. Should not I get notification saying you received bluetooth message or something like that. The way it showed itself on the home screen It gives the impression that it was a an app that I got from the market and put on the home screen.
    5. Where exactly this message/data file located physically, I mean what folder?

Please somebody explain this to me. Is it result of something I did inadvertently or something fishy is going on here? I am suspicious because it says bluetooth received and I have not downloaded any apps recently.
    This thing is killing me. Please experts come to my help! :(:(:(

I have not moved it to trash yet so that if you want to know more details I could answer. I am going to move it to trash soon. oh that brings up another question: If I move it to trash it just removes the icon form the screen or it will delete the message/file it itself too?
    Sorry for asking way too many questions in a single post.
    I will appreciate your help greatly,
    Thank you very much,

lovehatetechnology.

All the edits are correcting typos, no substantial changes in my post.

Advertisement

2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    I do some stuff and get paid for it...that's all t
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    The only one I can answer, if it exists it should be found in...

/sdcard/downloads/bluetooth

eager_newbie likes this.
  3. eager_newbie

eager_newbie Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks ScorpDX.
    Found the file after downloading astro file manager and deleted it.

If I move it to trash it just removes the icon form the screen or it will delete the message/file it itself too?

Found the answer to that. No it did not delete just removed the icon from the screen. This confirms the one thing that it was some kind of application.

Things that are still bugging me.
    Why did that app choose my phone as home? What was it? How did it get in my phone with bluetooth off? It's like finding a stranger sitting on my couch claiming he came through the back door when there was no back door!
    EDIT:
    Ok I have a guess about it. it was a "bluetooth received folder" that magically appeared on my home screen because somebody sent me those files. Still who did it? How come I was not asked permission. I had never seen that folder before today. Does that mean it only materialize if somebody sends me something via bluetooth?

4. eager_newbie

eager_newbie Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Wow! No replies at all? :(

5. Hmorris

Hmorris Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    I just encountered this problem too, not 10 minutes ago. I don't use bluetooth at all. The only thing I did differently was to charge the phone overnight connected to my computer (still, phone was set to charge only) instead of plugged into the wall. Hopefully more research will shed some light. Let me know if you find anything!

HM

6. dannybva

dannybva Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    I had the same problem about an hour ago, I thought it was a coworker being a jerk and trying to get in to my phone.

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    do you have lookout? you should try it.

dannybva likes this.
  8. dannybva

dannybva Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks, yes I do that's another reason I was so perplexed as to what happened. The other being I have/had bluetooth disabled.

9. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    this whole story is weird. so did you get the same bluetooth folder? or was it something else?

10. dannybva

dannybva Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Yes, there was a bluetooth folder in the upper left hand corner and if I touched it a black screen that reminded me of dos and/or command line came up and it said "bluetooth attached" The folder looks like the icon for the "bluetooth file transfer" app and I never use bluetooth.

11. jenny94

jenny94 Lurker
    None

Oct 3, 2010
    Why don't you install Bluetooth firewall from Android market? You will notified if some app does any Bluetooth actions. And the log is also good. You will know which device connected to your phone, when and all such details.

12. jlbattagli

jlbattagli Member
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Datamover.sis is a Nokia tool for synching contacts between phones or with a PC. Can't say how the OP got it on his phone.

13. Princesskrock

Princesskrock Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Hi - would be interested in knowing if this was a virus??? I had the same thing happen a few days ago, even though bluetooth was off - a bluetooth received folder appeared on my homescreen - when i tried to open it, it was freeze. i dumped in my trash but since then my phone has been doing odd things ??

Tags: