• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth: S3 not transferring contacts to car?

Have a new GS3. Also have a 2011 Hyundai elantra. My old phone was a flip open Nokia. It would pair with the car, and transfer the contacts into the car. I could call someone by simply saying "call........."(a person) and it worked great.

My new S3 pairs fine with the car, but there is partial recognition. when I say "Call Name" the voice will ask me the name. I give it, and get "sorry, I don't understand" or words to that effect. Its as if the contacts are not transferring into the car. BTW, RadioShack (where I got the phone(verizon) transferred my contacts from the old nokia to the S3.
Is there some instruction to give the S3 to allow contact transfer? If there is, I can't find it.

Have a new GS3. Also have a 2011 Hyundai elantra. My old phone was a flip open Nokia. It would pair with the car, and transfer the contacts into the car. I could call someone by simply saying "call........."(a person) and it worked great.

My new S3 pairs fine with the car, but there is partial recognition. when I say "Call Name" the voice will ask me the name. I give it, and get "sorry, I don't understand" or words to that effect. Its as if the contacts are not transferring into the car. BTW, RadioShack (where I got the phone(verizon) transferred my contacts from the old nokia to the S3.
Is there some instruction to give the S3 to allow contact transfer? If there is, I can't find it.
I have a Sync system and yes on my phone when I connect to my sync system and transfer contacts the phone has a POP up asking if it's ok to share contacts with sync system. Oh and I think it has a box to put a check in to always allow

Upvote 0
I had the same issue and another poster pointed more in the right direction....I don't remember who or I'd give them credit.

Delete the phone pairing and when you go to repair with the car there should be an option to use an alternate pin (through sync not the phone. Use a 4 digit pin instead of the 6. I guess the s3 has problems using the 6 digit pin.

Upvote 0
I have a Captivate with AT&T. When my contract is up in December I'm switching to Verizon and plan on getting the S3. Key to that decision will be the S3s ability to connect to the Hyundai Blue Link system and provide complete hands free operation.

I can't believe that with most if not all states passing laws regarding using cellphones while driving that the manufacturers are not putting more effort into making phones that can be used simply and easily hands free when driving either by connecting directly to the car if so equipped or to a bluetooth device.

My Captivate won't dial a number unless it's in the contacts list and most of the time even if the number is in the list it can't find it with voice commands.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. My S3 works fine except is will not transfer contacts to my 2013 Hyundai Elantra. It worked fine with my old HTC EVO. Not only that, but when connected it causes my Nav System to reboot every 5 minutes. Turn the S3 Bluetooth off, and the Nav System is fine!!! I have tried resetting the Nav System to factory and repairing multiple times. I even reset my S3 to factory settings!!!!! No help.

Upvote 0
I can't believe that with most if not all states passing laws regarding using cellphones while driving that the manufacturers are not putting more effort into making phones that can be used simply and easily hands free when driving either by connecting directly to the car if so equipped or to a bluetooth device.

They do, if you have an iPhone. Really sucks trying to find a good car stereo that fully supports Android. I know Pioneer's AppRadio 2 decks will fully work with most Android handsets that have MHL out though. And you can get an adapter that lets the stereo work with your factory steering wheel controls.

Upvote 0
That is strange that Bluetooth car stereos are having issues. I have a cheap "Jabra CRUISER2" Bluetooth speakerphone clipped to my sun-visor and my S3 transferred the contact list automatically as soon as it paired, without asking me anything. I can voice dial any contact with no problems. I wonder why a much more sophisticated unit would have problems :thinking:

Have you checked the manual for the car's Bluetooth to see if there is a step you are missing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones