• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth support

NiceCupOfTea

Aug 24, 2009
Kent, UK
Another day, another thing that I assumed the Hero would do because my last 3 WinMo phones have done it but doesn't... :(

Obviously BT file transfer doesn't work

I knew that voice dialling isn't support - why on earth not though?

I've just paired it with my BT car stereo, and I have also discovered that it doesn't download the phonebook to the stereo like it did from my TyTN II!

So how am I supposed to dial in the car!? I'm handsfree but to dial I can't voicedial or scroll through the phonebook, so the only option is to hope the number is in my received/missed/dialled calls, or pull over and dial it from my phone manually. :mad:

I reckon this is pretty poor and quite an omission.

Is there any chance that this will appear in a future update?

Frustrating isn't it. Especially seeing as there is a voice dialling application available that came with the G1, but only if you lived in America.

I understand that the bluetooth functionality is not fully developed and that this will come with either Doughnut or Eclair (both of which are supposed to be out this year some time).

Upvote 0
My pioneer BT car stereo is able to pull the first 13 phone book entries from my hero then it freezes. To be honest it did the same thing on my old sony ericsson but froze after about 100 entries. With the Sony I solved this by switching from pulling them to pushing them from the phone and that worked fine. Obviously not an option on the Hero at present.

I am concidering rearanging my phone book so the first 13 entires are the ones I dial most in the car. pulling them then rearanging them again. Fun and games.

Upvote 0
i have an alpine ipod head unit, and after connecting from the hero to the unit, everything works fine, all contacts are copied over and if i answer through the head unit then it connects fine. if i dial or answer through the phone then i get issues where it doesnt use the head unit but the display says its connecting, maybe a setting i havent found yet but ive only used it in the car a few times so a limited experience.

Upvote 0
All BT functions , apart for voice dialing seem to work from my Hero.
I can stream BT stereo music from the Hero to my Saab 93 cabrio's stereo and also to my "Supertooth" (wtf?) BT home speakers.
I can also use the BT connection to make and receive calls as long as I don't pretend to use voice commands and that I toggle the call from the handset.
I really hope that some genial dev. will soon produce a voice dialing app instead of umptenth farting machine.

Upvote 0
i have an alpine ipod head unit, and after connecting from the hero to the unit, everything works fine, all contacts are copied over and if i answer through the head unit then it connects fine. if i dial or answer through the phone then i get issues where it doesnt use the head unit but the display says its connecting, maybe a setting i havent found yet but ive only used it in the car a few times so a limited experience.

I've got an Alpine CDE-103BT and it worked flawlessly with my TyTN II, but no phonebook copying on the Hero. Haven't tried it for calls yet, not expecting it to go well :(

Upvote 0
I upgraded from a TynTyn2 to a Hero and need to send the contacts via Bluetooth to my Parrot CK3000 in order to use voicedialling.

Just a thought - as I have the same contacts on both phone would I be able to send the contacts via Bluetooth from my TynTyn to the Parrot and then use the kit with my Hero for voicedialling or when the contact is sent via bluettoth is some extra phone-specific data sent that precludes this from working? :rolleyes:

I'll give this a try when I get a moment however if anyone else had had success or failure with this I'd like to hear from them :)

Upvote 0
hi,
I have just got a new kenwood bluetooth hu. Now I struggled to get it to find the hero, but then when I did it was not quite connecting right.

Re connected it and it was fine. Showed my contacts and everything, although this was only after I made a call. I stupidly, managed to disconnect it somehow and now, no matter how I pair it the phonebook will not display. I have no way of sending contacts via bluetooth either.

Can anyone help as I really do need to be able to see who is calling me and could do with being able to use my phonebook.

Upvote 0
I'm still no further to finding a solution. If I try to dial from the HU, sometimes it sees my dialled/received/missed call number, other times it doesn't.

I have also had problems with it either not transferring the audio properly or muting it. Very frustrating, requiring me to switch BT off/on on the phone, hardly ideal when trying to drive...

HTC's response was:

Android handsets do not support bluetooth transfer at the present. We can not inform you at the present we advise you to follow further developements via web site you can join eclub for regular updates

Hmmmm.

Upvote 0
okay did it now.
Basically because my phone wasn't auto connecting when I got back in the car I decided to start all over again.

I had to delete my phone from the Hu ( KDC-BT6544U) and vice versa. I connected the phone back to the hu again.

Then paired it back the other way around. Ie hu to the phone. Said paired okay and downloading.

Although at this point still no contacts showing and phone would not auto connect still.

So I switched off my phone and hu. Started up the HU and then the phone. Once they were both on, it all worked fine and has done every time I have tested it since.

( yes I sat out till 12:30am trying to sort this)

I don't know if it is worth mentioning but I have the T mobile phonebook download running on my phone as well as the normal phonebook.

Upvote 0
The lack of voice dialing on the Hero is the only reason that keeps me from adopting it as my main(only) cellphone.
For someone like me who spends most of his waking hours driving a car voice dialing is essential and that's why I still need to use my one year old HTC TouchHD even though I prefer the Hero for everything else.

I don't understand why android devs dont make such an app (for which most users would be ready to pay) instead of filling the Market with fart apps, or stroboscopic lights for cell phones.

And I also don't understand what is wrong with HTC, their last phones including Hero, Mytouch, and touch pro2 all lack voice dialling even if the old TouchHD (like the one I have) or Diamond, or TP1 all had this extremely useful function.

Upvote 0
Hi, i have the Alpine CDE-104BTi.
The unit will pair to my phone, but because i cant transfer the phonebook contacts over, i have to dial manually from the phone which then routes the mic and sound through to the HU.
Is there anyway round this at all? Or should i expect the problem to be addressed in an update?
Everything works perfectly fine on my TomTom 720...i think thats because the TT unit itself imports the contacts from the phone.

Upvote 0
There *is* no voice dialling support on the Hero - HTC confirm this.

It may be that you can set up voice tags on some Bluetooth head units which then dial a specific number over bluetooth, but the phone won't do it.

So stupid, surely would be an easy add-on to write...

Luckily my new Mondeo has voice tagging built in, and works far more accurately than any phone I've used, so it isn't an issue for me - I suppose there will be a gradual move towards this kind of setup but it doesn't help anyone now still relying on their phone to do this.

Upvote 0
It's very frustrating. I have a PDF on my laptop that I want on my phone. I don't have the cable with me, but no problem I'll just use Bluetooth. It's 2009 after all. Only, it won't fecking work, the Hero won't receive the file. I could do this ok on my N95, a phone that must be three years old now?

I'm sure it's down to HTC just rushing the phone to market, and someone within HTC has made the decision to let the phone go to market with all these functions missing. Turd, but I suppose that's market forces.

I wonder if this functionality was available on the G1?

Upvote 0
It's very frustrating. I have a PDF on my laptop that I want on my phone. I don't have the cable with me, but no problem I'll just use Bluetooth. It's 2009 after all. Only, it won't fecking work, the Hero won't receive the file. I could do this ok on my N95, a phone that must be three years old now?

I'm sure it's down to HTC just rushing the phone to market, and someone within HTC has made the decision to let the phone go to market with all these functions missing. Turd, but I suppose that's market forces.

Nope, G1 has been out for almost a year and it still does have all the BT features it could ...

Some are precieved security issues that google maybe be working on ( Maybe Not ) ...

Even Rooted BlueX is not completely successful on every machine ... it depends of the OBEX drivers being installed on both devices as well as them being compatible ...

Dont leave home without your Cable or charger !!! Maybe even a spare battery !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones