• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bluetooth tether on Mac OSX with CM7

Status
Not open for further replies.

gushags

Aug 9, 2011
I didn't find much information on doing this, so now that I got bluetooth tethering working on Tickerguy's and Isaac's CM7 build (9/25), I thought I'd quickly run through the steps for tethering your triumph to Mac OSX Lion. Thanks to Ticker for getting it working in this latest build.

(If for some reason the following steps don't work, you should have both your mac and the MT forget the devices. For the mac, just hit the (-) sign in the Bluetooth preference pane. On the MT, unpair the mac, and then reboot. That should clear it and you can try again.)

1. Make both the phone and mac discoverable. On the mac, bluetooth is in the systems preferences. I clicked "Show bluetooth status in the menu bar" because it's easy to run everything from there. From the bluetooth menu bar on the mac, select Set Up Bluetooth Device. The triumph should be recognized. Select it and hit Continue.

2. A code will appear on the screen and on your Triumph. Confirm the pairing from your phone.

3. Connect the mac to your phone. Go to the bluetooth symbol in your status bar. Pull down to the devices and select Triumph > Connect to Network. It won't connect yet, but CM7 will show the bluetooth tethering symbol.

4. Go to Network Preferences. Click on the

Reactions: tusing
I didn't find much information on doing this, so now that I got bluetooth tethering working on Tickerguy's and Isaac's CM7 build (9/25), I thought I'd quickly run through the steps for tethering your triumph to Mac OSX Lion. Thanks to Ticker for getting it working in this latest build.

(If for some reason the following steps don't work, you should have both your mac and the MT forget the devices. For the mac, just hit the (-) sign in the Bluetooth preference pane. On the MT, unpair the mac, and then reboot. That should clear it and you can try again.)

1. Make both the phone and mac discoverable. On the mac, bluetooth is in the systems preferences. I clicked "Show bluetooth status in the menu bar" because it's easy to run everything from there. From the bluetooth menu bar on the mac, select Set Up Bluetooth Device. The triumph should be recognized. Select it and hit Continue.

2. A code will appear on the screen and on your Triumph. Confirm the pairing from your phone.

3. Connect the mac to your phone. Go to the bluetooth symbol in your status bar. Pull down to the devices and select Triumph > Connect to Network. It won't connect yet, but CM7 will show the bluetooth tethering symbol.

4. Go to Network Preferences. Click on the ‘+’ (plus) button to add a new service. Select Bluetooth PAN. Name it whatever you want. It will show you connected but with a yellow light because it doesn't yet have an IP address.

5. Click the Advanced button. Once you get into the TCP/IP settings, click on the Renew DHCP Lease button and an IP address will be assigned.

Turn off your airport, make sure 3G data is enabled, and you should be tethered.

THANKS SO MUCH! I was looking all over for this place! Someone sticky this or something!

Edit: Mac OSX 10.7 Lion does steps 4 and 5 automagically on my Macbook Pro, too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones