1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Bluetooth Tethering and Wi-Fi Direct Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andoird213, Dec 20, 2011.

1. andoird213

andoird213 Android Expert

Hi all,

This is really two questions, but they're so closely related I decided to put them in one post. First of all, keep in mind this is referring to the Verizon version of the phone. Question number one: does bluetooth tethering require a hotspot plan from Verizon? Question number two: has anyone found any use for Wi-Fi direct?

Thanks in advance!

Patriot

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. brhermon

brhermon Member

I can't answer your question about bluetooth because I really don't know. But concerning Wi-fi direct... from what I understand the Nexus is equipped for wi-fi direct. There's an API for it but until developers make an app to utilize the technology there isn't anything in existence yet to take advantage of it. Somebody correct me though If I'm wrong. Hopefully developers and Google start putting out apps to make use of this. I'm anxious to try it out.

andoird213 likes this.
  3. andoird213

Thank you. I knew Wi-Fi Direct has potential just wondering if anyone's found anything for it yet. I'm very curious about bluetooth tethering as well though

4. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Android Enthusiast

That's one of the first things I plan to try with mine is Bluetooth tethering. It works great with my Asus Transformer and my Droid X. No reason why it shouldn't work with the Nexus but we'll see.

5. Techno Tonis

Techno Tonis Well-Known Member

Will using any of the tethering services built into a non-rooted 4.0.2 work on a basic data plan? Or will turning them on automatically add a tethering package to your plan or what??

6. andoird213

Does bluetooth tethering require the hotspot plan?

7. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast

Yes. If you try to use the feature it prompts you to call Verizon and says you need to get that plan.

8. red66charger

red66charger Android Expert

A co-worker just got a RAZR and he is tethering via Bluetooth. He also did this with his X. I told him he better check his bill and make sure he isn't being charged. He returned a GNex partially for BT tethering.

I'd like to know what's up with this. I know it can be dicey discussing tethering here, but I believe my friend use Easy Tether.

9. Techno Tonis

Techno Tonis Well-Known Member

Anyone who could chime in on this would be great.

I have no clue how tethering "legally" with Verizon works.

What is free and what do you have to pay for?

10. Lucky Armpit

No... that's the beauty of it. My tablet surfs the 'Net through my phone's 3G connection via the BT link and I don't have to give Verizon any more of my money every month.

11. andoird213

you're positive about this? When I click it it says verifying account (or something along those lines) and I back out

12. BoyNamedStacy

BoyNamedStacy Lurker

I can confirm that bluetooth tethering does work without beibg charged by verizon. You must be unlocked and rooted in order to do this. I am using pdanet to make bluetoorh connection although I prefer a wired tether because of its faster speeds.

13. Lucky Armpit

Rooting is not necessary. It's pretty simple... turn BT on the phone (Droid X), then on the other device (Asus Eee Pad Transformer). Make sure the two are connected. On the tablet, there's something in the Settings about using the BT connection for Internet access. I don't have it in front of me, of course. Do not use the 'Tethering and mobile hotspot' option in your phone, as that's the one that will charge you.

My Droid X is Gingerbread 2.3 and my tablet is Honeycomb, if that helps. It may be different on the Galaxy Nexus, of course. I'll find out tomorrow when mine gets here.

14. Theeulogy

Theeulogy Member

I have done a LOT af bluetooth tethering with my Droid X, no additional charges were ever incured. I can tell you though that it does not work out of the box without a plan on the Nexus.

15. Member112085

Member112085 Guest

Nope, doesn't work on the Galaxy Nexus. I can pair it to my iPod or tablet, but I can't connect. I was able to do so with my Droid X.

16. syx

syx Newbie

Worked perfectly with my Bionic and Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    Does not work with my new Nexus.
    Had to use PDANet to get it to work - Not rooted.

17. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

alostpacket likes this.
  18. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

19. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

As has been explained previously, discussion of tethering against a carrier's TOS is not permitted by the site owner. Please respect his wishes.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews