1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Bluetooth tethering on the Desire?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pinmac1, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

I have an HTC Desire and found it very easy to set it up so my Windows Vista laptop can access the internet via 3G. I would like to know if it's possible to set up so that my son's Archos 70 tablet could get online via the Desire using Bluetooth? Just thinking that it would be good when out and about. Appreciate any help on this as I have Googled until I can Google no more :thinking:

Advertisement

2. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

What about using the wi-fi tethering option?

Pinmac1 likes this.
  3. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member

The HTC Desire is heavily crippled bluetooth-wise it seems so it's unlikely it would work - I couldn't even get it to simply connect with my old cellphone (pairing works, but accessing it doesn't). I also haven't heard anything about Bluetooth tethering so I fear it's even possible with other phones as well.

Pinmac1 likes this.
  4. Pinmac1

Thanks for the answers. To clarify, the Archos works well on the wifi at home it's away from home I'm looking at. I too can get it to pair to the Desire but not connect.
    Not looking hopeful.....

5. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

I'm a little confused. You say ..."via the Desire using Bluetooth", which implies that your Desire will be the hotspot. Why would you need bluetooth which is more fickle and slower than WiFi? Just stick to the hotspot facility of your Desire, which will use your Desire's data and is a dream to set up. After all, this technology has been revolutionary for most top Android devices and me ditch my iPhone. :rolleyes:

Pinmac1 likes this.
  6. Pinmac1

Now it's my turn to be confused :D I thought that you could only use the hotspot facility with Wifi? As I say I have got my laptop working fine via the Wifi hotspot but I assume that this won't work with the Archos when out unless via an open Wifi? The Archos doesn't have a 3G facility so I was hoping to tether to the Desire via bluetooth. Unable to test anything at the moment as my son is staying with Grandma for a couple of days and has taken the Archos with him.

7. wavemeister

wavemeister Newbie

You dont connect through bluetooth you setup your Desire as a wifi hotspot, so as you say you have already done this for the laptop then the Archos tablet will also connect via wifi to share the 3g connection

8. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

Exactly what I meant!