1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Bluetooth Text messages?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shaggerr23, Nov 21, 2011.

1. shaggerr23

shaggerr23 Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Does anyone know if the nexus will support sms text messages over bluetooth? Thank you!!!!

Advertisement

2. holysnikey

holysnikey Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Student
    Connecticut
    Sorry I don't know this but I was wondering what the purpose is of sending a SMS over bluetooth? If you are close enough to do bluetooth can't you just verbally talk to the person. I suppose maybe if you're in a meeting and want to talk to someone you can do that or something similar where you are close but aren't suppose to talk.

3. shaggerr23

shaggerr23 Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    No No, instead of texting while driving my car can read text messages to me through bluetooth but the phone also has to have the capabities

4. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    There are a couple of Android-compatible watches making the rounds that are suppose to display incoming texts on your wrist that depend on this BT functionality. I'm expecting this support is going to stick around in 4.0.

5. vancouver3

vancouver3 Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2012

I have the same question....

How do I get the Voice Input/Recognition function works on Bluetooth?!

when I connect to my Bluetooth headset (BlueAnt Q1 V8.15), and enable the Phone audio, the Voice Input for texting/searching or any other text input will not recognize through my bluetooth microphone, instead, it sticks with the microphone from the actual phone. However, when I making a phonecall, the audio and my voice will transfer through the Bluetooth headset.

It's very strange how the microphone on my Bluetooth headset will not work anywhere else except making phonecalls.

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    The Nexus does support it, but you have to have an app. Blueant and plantronics have apps for certain headsets, but there are also apps like vlingo and enhanced callerid/sms that will read your incoming messages.

You may need to see if your headset supports it. I have the m1100 and voyager pro, both allow me to use voice commands thru the headset.

7. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Do your headsets also allow for speech-to-text input? OR just voice commands? My speakerphone will handle commands ok, but when I hit the mic on the keyboard while texting to try to do that, it doesn't recognize.

8. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    No, I can't do speech to text. I didn't know that's what you meant, I misunderstood.
    Plantronics has a service (Vocalyst) that can do that, but it's a pay service.

9. vancouver3

vancouver3 Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2012
    Ya, it seems like speech to text won't work for Bluetooth headsets. But it doesn't make sense though, all the headset does was to transmit the voice from its microphone to the phone, instead of using the microphone that is originates on the phone itself.... I wonder whether or not if its an system setting thing..

Tags: