1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bluetooth Voice Command and Useless Samsung Customer Service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Propfrwrd, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    After much searching of the well-known (sigh!) problem of no Bluetooth voice command, I finally broke down and called Samsung support.

After explaining in detail that I had:
    - already tried Vlingo, and
    - did a hard reset of the phone
    with no positive results.

I was told that there was nothing I could do, and I should essentially be satisfied that I can receive calls via Bluetooth and leave it at that. The compete ineptitude of the customer service is another story.

I know this his has kind of come up in other threads, but I'm hoping that clearer title might bring more people to search for and find a solution.

Can we keep this one from a 50x "Yeah, me too!" bitchfest and see if there is indeed a fix out there?

Advertisement

ericwins likes this.
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Two quick questions.

Have you updated to Android 2.2?

And have you installed Voice Search?

I haven't paired my Captivate with my car because my Nexus One is my daily phone, but i'll give it a test if you'd like.

3. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Excellent questions.

Yes and yes. No luck.

4. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd love to hear how a test went.

I've tried with:

- a Motorola BT
    - My Sena SMH-10 motorcycle BT
    - Jabra 3030

With no results yet.

5. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I don't have the phone with me at the moment, but will give it a go when I get home with both my car (Mitsubishi Fuze) and a Samsung BT something or other that hasn't been charged in months. I guess I should charge it first ;)

6. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Lunatic.

7. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, here's what I found out.

My Bluetooth ear piece is a Samsung WEP200. Granted it is several years old, but the voice dialer works on my Nexus one. It does NOT work on the captivate, even though it pairs and will carry the audio portion. I attempted to push the VoiceDialer.apk app on my Nexus One to the Captivate but the install failed and I didn't want to take it any farther than that.

My Mitsubishi Outlander came with the Fuse hands-free link system. Once my contacts imported, it worked perfectly. I could dial by name or number and the accuracy was 100%. Mind you I only tried three contacts and two numbers-only dials, and I was sitting in the garage at the time, but the contacts I used were ones that periodically are mis-heard using the Nexus One.

Considering the only time I ever seem to use voice dialing is in the car, I am okay. Now, the rumor is that when Captivates get 2.2.1, Bluetooth voice dialing will be part of it.

Propfrwrd likes this.
  8. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    I thought it was well known that 2.2 on the Captivate doesn't support BT voice dialing. As just stated, either install a 2.2.1 rom or wait for an official update..although that's another matter. I imagine ATT is done with any further updating of the Captivates firmware

9. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    It wasn't well known to me until after I bought and tried it.

I still can't get over the fact that my LG cell phone I bought 3 years ago had BT voice dialing and this so-called smartphone doesn't.

I've called Rogers (I'm Canadian) and they're clueless and Samsung was clueless and rude.

Nervous about the amount the effort and knowledge necessary to flash to 2.2.1 and considering just returning the phone- too bad, as other than the BT voice and sleep issue I love(d) it.

10. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    How Do I Use Voice Dialing On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone When Using A Bluetooth Headset?

Product :Total:phones & Fax Machines:US Mobile Phones:AT&T 12-04-2011
    How to guides

AT&T : How Do I Use Voice Dialing On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone When Using A Bluetooth Headset?

How Do I Use Voice Dialing On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone When Using A Bluetooth Headset?
    The SGH-i897 does not include voice dialing software. The Marketplace may contain applications for free or for a small fee that could offer this functionality.
    Android 2.2 has limitations regarding the interpertations of sending/receiving of Bluetooth commands from a headset.
    This functionality is added with Android 2.2.1

As expected, a BS posting.

When would one expect this to come out?! Which 3rd party app!? How about for other carriers?

11. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    Yea my Nokia from like 2006 was capable of voice dialing, but this is android..each update adds features that may have been on more mature operating systems previously-that are now obsolete..so..thats just the way it is.

12. ericwins

ericwins Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    :thinking: So what's the answer to your question? I have a new Samsung Infuse from AT&T with the very same issue. My 5 year old Blackberry allows voice dialing through (in this case) my new Motorolla H730 BT headset, but not my Android. Do I download 2.2.1? Samsung support suggested nothing and would not promote any apps.

Are there any good apps to allow at least basic voice commands? Voice search works poorly and still is a command via the phone, not the headset.

Some apps like Voice Speed Dial from Cyberon or VoicePOD by MOBK look good but who knows? I don't want to go back to some Blackberry just because Android looks like a data device with some voice. We use Google Apps at work and I want to have Android without giving up on the voice features. Any advice?

13. DynaBlue

DynaBlue Member
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    FYI... The leaked GB does allow for BT headset voice dialing. YAHOO!! Motorola h780 headset.

14. bob01000

bob01000 Member
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    It not like the blackberry or any old "dumb" phone. No true handsfree dialing on an android device.

They won't wakeup if they are locked. And everyone locks there screen. You have to manually onlock it while driving and sometime kick the app for voice dialing back on.

CRAZY. Go back to Blackberry until OS 4.0

15. Luvs2renno

Luvs2renno Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2012
    I live in BC Canada, where it is illeagle to even so much as touch your cell phone while you are driving. If you are caught, it's a $167 ticket, not to mention that people using cell phones kill more people a year here than drunk drivers.

As the rest of you, I have also encountered this problem of not being able to voice dial from my bluetooth. You would think that in March 2012, this would have ceased to be an issue, but apparently not.

I called my carrier, Rogers, who said they did not support the device they sold me, only the network. They went on to say that I may be able to download an app to make it work, but they wouldn't tell me which one, because it may break my phone!!! Really??? So Rogers told me to call Samsung.

I called Samsung tech support and Louis told me that it was a compatability issue between my phone and my bluetooth. I then went on to ask him which Samsung blutooth would work with my Samsung phone. He told me he didn't know, because he was the phone support guy. I asked him to put me in touch with the blutooth support gut, but he advised me that they have no such department. Go figure!

I finally found this on the Samsung website today when I queried my phone:

Hands-Free Profile (HFP):
    The HFP Bluetooth profile allows a connection from the phone to a wireless Bluetooth-enabled car kit. Incoming calls ring to the hands-free headset or device. Calls can be received by pressing a button on the Bluetooth headset or device. As for dialing, four functions are supported: recent call dial, voice dial*, speed dial, and number dial. You can increase or decrease the volume by using the volume key on the side of the phone.
    *Note: While the standard HFP Profile does support voice cialing, the SGH-i616 handset features a voice recorder, but does not include any configurable options for voice dialing with or without a Bluetooth headset. There may be 3rd party applications which will provide voice dial capabilities, however there are no options fur voice dial via the use of a Bluetooth headset.

In short..... you can't voice dial a Samsung Galaxy S ii LTE with a bluetooth headset period. Why does Samsung know this, and not find a fix for it, and then continually lie to their cusrtomers???

I'm done with Samsung..... no more TV's, no more cell phones, no more monitors, and what ever else they might manufacture. Maybe my old Blackberry wasn't such a bad thing.

March 24, 2012. I just called Samsung again, and spoke to an honest Tech Support person. He advised me that none of Samsung's phones on the Android platform will voice dial from a bluetooth. He could not offer any advise as to whether or not this issue will be rectified. He told me to try Vlingo. I've tried Vlingo and a handful of other apps, all without success.

So....I'm thinking of causing a ruckuss with my provider, and if all goes well, I think an iPhone is in my future.

March 28, 2012. Ok, I have to admit, I can be like a dog with a bone at times, but I think it paid off here. Today I downloaded an app called Choice Dialer +. At first it didn't work to voice dial, but I took the battery out of my phone and waited 5-19 minutes and put it back.... voila! It now voice dials with my bluetooth! It doesn't have super great voice recognition, but it does work. :) It even works when the screen is locked.