1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

BML ONEmini

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lorax2, Jan 30, 2014.

1. lorax2

lorax2 Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2014
    I just got a BML phone and can't find much about it. It has Android 4.2.2. It locks up I think because it launches lots of programs I never use, like Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, etc. I can't kill them off, they keep coming back and filling up all available memory. They are not disableable. That's why I want to root the phone so I can uninstall unwanted programs.

I have linux (ubuntu) on two laptops, so I am not afraid of command lines.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) BML appears to be one of those Chinese phones that doesn't have any released specs until after they stop selling the phone. (It's a Froyo phone that ships with Android 4.2.2 - that much is documented.)

2) Unlike Windows, in Android (the OS itself), unused RAM is wasted RAM, so you should have about 90% RAM usage at all times. The memory manager is very good and will swap out the oldest run app that's not needed for something else if it needs space for something you want to run. Worry about storage, not memory.

As far as rooting, the only thing you'll need to find is an exploit that works. Once you get temporary root, use adb to install /system/bin/su (which is why Android phones aren't rooted out of the box - su is missing), /system/bin/busybox and install SuperSU.apk (from the Play store).

The trick is finding an exploit for an undocumented phone. Once you get root, even for one boot, it's just adb push whatever wherever. (And finding drivers that will let adb see the phone.)

If you're really adventurous, you can try programs like Super One Click or Kingo. But the standard "if you brick your phone, I'm not responsible" disclaimer applies. Doing it manually, the worst that can happen is an error message at the console, and you know you have to find a different exploit. And if you're familiar with the Linux command line, "can not access this directory" isn't going to scare you.

3. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    Hiya lorax and welcome to Android forums!

What type of device is it? Manufacturer etc would help that way we could steer you in the proper direction.

These apps, they came pre-installed and can't be uninstalled?

4. lorax2

lorax2 Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2014
    My phone is a BML ONEmini 4.0" IPS Screen MTK6820 Dual Core 1.2GHz Android4.2.2 OS Smart Phone Silver (US Standard).

I put an app killer on it and that has helped a little. Every time I wake it up I have to kill all the automatic, crappy apps. This gives me a little more useful phone time. But the auto apps re-launch almost immediately and often I forget to keep killing them and the battery drains fast.

I still haven't rooted it and still would like to if I can find some beginning to end instructions that will work with this particular phone and Android version.

Thanks in advance for any help