• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BMW E46 Full media head unit.Android 8

Hi Guys First time here so hope this post is in correct Forum. I have fitted to my car (an addon from 5yrs ago) Android 8. BMW E46 full media device.7" touch screen.
In essence it has served me well, but I have a few niggles which I have no idea how to solve.
One being, that some of the icons on the touch screen have disappeared! I can find them in internal storage, but only options given are Force stop or Disable.
Could I please have some advice as to how I restore them to touch screen? Thanks.

Reactions: Marko2923
Hi Guys First time here so hope this post is in correct Forum. I have fitted to my car (an addon from 5yrs ago) Android 8. BMW E46 full media device.7" touch screen.
In essence it has served me well, but I have a few niggles which I have no idea how to solve.
One being, that some of the icons on the touch screen have disappeared! I can find them in internal storage, but only options given are Force stop or Disable.
Could I please have some advice as to how I restore them to touch screen? Thanks.
A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Also, you can hide apps from your home screen and even from your list of apps. Some apps are widgets (see if what you are missing are widgets and recreate them).

Reactions: Derek John Castle
Upvote 0
Also, you can hide apps from your home screen and even from your list of apps. Some apps are widgets (see if what you are missing are widgets and recreate them).

Thank you for your reply, I agree with your adage but what picture would you like?
The particular touch screen icon I am interested in recovering, is what came installed on the unit, has proved very useful, not certain if its a widget or an app, but its called OBD (on board diagnostics),at the touch of the screen, it would give a complete read out of the cars systems, showing error codes if there were any. Equally this particular icon disappeared without reason? I also have to say this particular one does not show up in internal storage, so where the heck could it be, as I certainly have NOT deleted it? Thanks Derek

Upvote 0

I've managed to track down missing app,but not being a tech whiz kid when it comes to android and apk I'm no further forward.
What I discovered was that all the missing apps where in one of my installed(at factory) apps called APK INSTALLER. Amongst them was the OBD app. When I clicked on the icon (in apk installer,) it gave me the option to install or cancel. Clicked on Install, was taken to another page requesting that I activated "Allow downloads from unknown source".This I did,I was then taken back to original install page, which when I attempted to install took me back to "Allow downloads from unknown sources"!!This kept happening, so any advice as to where I go from here would be appreciated Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've managed to track down missing app,but not being a tech whiz kid when it comes to android and apk I'm no further forward.
What I discovered was that all the missing apps where in one of my installed(at factory) apps called APK INSTALLER. Amongst them was the OBD app. When I clicked on the icon (in apk installer,) it gave me the option to install or cancel. Clicked on Install, was taken to another page requesting that I activated "Allow downloads from unknown source".This I did,I was then taken back to original install page, which when I attempted to install took me back to "Allow downloads from unknown sources"!!This kept happening, so any advice as to where I go from here would be appreciated Thanks.
Interesting. I have never got that "Allow from unknown sources" for downloads, but just for installs. But, once you allow an app to install from unknown sources, you should be able to install it.

I replaced my Mylink 1.0 with an Android head unit on my Sonic RS and was never able to use that OBD app that came factory installed :( Head unit came with a CanBus adapter (since all sound from blinkers, keys on ignition, etc., come from the car's computer and into the left front speaker) but no luck for me using that app. At least I'm still able to program locks, lights, alarm, etc. from the unit though.

Upvote 0
Appreciated your reply, this wasn't a download but an install. As you said it comes factory installed. Problem was/is every time I hit install it takes me back to the page (which I have already activated) requesting allow from unknown source.
But reading into your reply, perhaps I'm wasting my time, as if the app requires further inputs to obtain the tech info, then I'm not really interested in going down that path, as I was under the impression the app, being factory installed, was fully set up to obtain engine etc reports?
Incidentally since placing this post, I took a quick trip down google play store, where they have a number of free/purchase OBD's and OEM's......the reviews of all them are not impressive, very few appear to do what is promised, so perhaps I will put that idea to bed?But Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
Have you tried restarting your car and phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones