• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boat Browser removed from Android market

wmm

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2010
I've recently discovered and started using Boat Browser. Its treatment of tabs is nearly as convenient as Firefox, and it doesn't have the problems that Firefox does (low-resolution graphics, no Flash support).

This morning when I opened Boat Browser I got a notification saying that "due to Android Market policy, Boat Brower [sic] Mini is removed from market temporarily." They said that they are seeking more information from Google.

Naturally, this is worrisome. Does anyone have any additional information about what caused the removal?

Thanks for the link, but I don't think it actually does shed any light. The only mention of "malware" that I saw was asking for people to report ads on the ipmart site that pointed to shady sites and had nothing to do with boat browser. (Unless there was something in the thread that was linked to rather than shown.)

Upvote 0
I wrote to the company asking about the reason for the removal. Here is their reply:

The Boat Browser is absolutely safe, believe us, we never do evil.
If the browser is not secure(spyware or torjan), the google will removed it from you phone.

As far as we know, the Boat Browser have engaged in anti-competitive behavior(In the description, we write something about other browsers), which is not allowed by the Android Market.

We will correct it and get back soon.

I'll leave it up to you to decide for yourself how plausible this statement is, but I thought I should pass it along.

Upvote 0
For all the Boat Browser fans out there, a little more info to shed some... ahem... "light" on the subject:

This is a post from the app's dev on the Android Market help forum.

Also some speculation from someone at xda:
The UI is a complete ripoff of Mobile Safari in iOS, that's probably why it was pulled
More @ Link.

At any rate, here is some of what the dev had in his description of the app when it was on the market:
If you have tried Opera Mini Web Browser, Opera Mobile Web Browser, Dolphin Browser HD, Dolphin Browser Mini, Skyfire Web Browser, Mozilla Firefox Web Browser, Miren Browser, QQ Browser, Wikitude World Browser, Galapagos Browser, NetFront Life Browser and UC Browser English, but still not satisfied, you definitely need to try our Boat Browser Mini. It will make you feel totally different. It

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones