• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Body temperture

Yeah, forget it. There's no point measuring the temperature of a finger even if the phone was sensitive, which it isn't. You'd need dedicated hardware for this to be possible.

Buy an electronic ear thermometer if you want something quick and accurate. Or one of those remote infra red things if you aren't so fussed about accuracy but want a bit of range.

Upvote 0
Surface temperature really doesn't indicate much about internal functions, unless the person is going into hypothermia, heat exhaustion or (worse) heat stroke. I'm no fan of digital thermometers as they are wildly inaccurate.

What do I suggest?

The properties of mercury are well known and have not changed over thousands of years. A good, vintage mercury thermometer is 100% accurate, 100% of the time. I have two that I purchased off ebay in the "Antiques" category - one was from a drug store in the 1960s and had never been opened! No batteries, no variation in sensor accuracy. Of course, there would be no way to "connect" it to a digital device... so the temperature would need to be manually entered in a health app. My 2¢

Upvote 0
Oh, be very careful about claims like "100% accurate" - nothing is ever 100% accurate, only accurate to within some tolerance. In this case the major systematic error is likely to be the printing and positioning of the scale, though there will be a quadratic sensitivity to any variation in the width of the channel ;).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones