• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bookmark Posts?

scary alien

not really so scary
Mar 5, 2010
Indy
LOL, I was going to title this thread "Favorite" Posts, which is close to what I wanted to suggest (but is, of course, an existing feature that is a little different from my idea).

Anyway, my suggestion would be to have a mechanism whereby we could mark (bookmark) a post, for ourselves, that we found particularly useful (and of course, have a way to view this list like the "Find all posts by..." link in our user profile statistics tab; also, a really cool bonus feature would be the ability to search just these bookmarked "favorites" to more easily find something we've marked).

I really think that having such a feature would allow us to mark and recall those little gems and pearls of wisdom that we find here at AF each day, yet sometimes struggle (or spend an inordinate amount of time) searching for. This would allow us to more quickly share this knowledge with others as we encounter users with issues we're pretty sure we run into before.

Thanks for listening :).

Cheers!

Reactions: Roze
I'd use this. I actually have a folder in my bookmarks folder for forum posts here that I want to have quick access to or be able to find when needed.

I give this a +1 (not that I throw too much weight around in these parts ;) )

Thanks! :)

If we can get this implemented, then we can work on a way to go back in time to snag all of the past great posts that I wish I could have tagged ;).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Can't you just subscribe to threads with no notifications - and even create a folder in your subscriptions "favorites" - in your UserCp?

Just a regular subscription wouldn't work as a very active user usually has A LOT (i have over 5,000:))

I never really messed with making folders though, seems like that would serve SA purpose though you would have to manually 'subscribe' to a thread instead of letting the automatic kick in from posting

I think though that SA was thinking of a more specific post being marked 'helpful/useful, etc'....

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Just a regular subscription wouldn't work as a very active user usually has A LOT (i have over 5,000:))

I never really messed with making folders though, seems like that would serve SA purpose though you would have to manually 'subscribe' to a thread instead of letting the automatic kick in from posting

I think though that SA was thinking of a more specific post being marked 'helpful/useful, etc'....

Yes, thank you NA, I was writing-up a reply and you beat me to it :).

I was hoping to tag individual posts vs. threads (I have only 1947 subscribed threads ;)).

Subscribing to threads gets me closer obviously, but there's usually a lot of posts to have to sift through.

Still trying to figure-out how to create a folder of favorites...I think this might have been what OTD was trying to get across to me last year when I discussed this in a thread, but I'm sure she was also thinking about entire threads vs. posts.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Oh I see. I see how that could be helpful..

The way I was thinking of it was that SA is asking about essentially a browser bookmark function in the forums. One click and the permalink to a single post is saved in your profile as a statistic... possibly viewable to others, kind of like the "NA +1'd this " feature in G+...

(just throwing that out there scary, stop me if I'm way off)

Upvote 0
Oh I see. I see how that could be helpful..

Insanely helpful, is what is was thinking, LOL :).

The way I was thinking of it was that SA is asking about essentially a browser bookmark function in the forums. One click and the permalink to a single post is saved in your profile as a statistic... possibly viewable to others, kind of like the "NA +1'd this " feature in G+...

(just throwing that out there scary, stop me if I'm way off)

NA, its like you are reading my mind ;) [edit: although the +1 stuff is "bonus" to my original idea, but a great idea, too].

You are right on track, sir! Thank you for helping to clarify this :).

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Insanely helpful, is what is was thinking, LOL :).

NA, its like you are reading my mind ;) [edit: although the +1 stuff is "bonus" to my original idea, but a great idea, too].

You are right on track, sir! Thank you for helping to clarify this :).

meh, even i can be coherent at 9am after work, lol!!

And I only use the +1 example to state how this could be displayed, doesn't really matter if these would be public or more of a reference thing for personal use.

This seems similar to a faq kinda thing where all the REALLY useful posts/solutions/whatnot are in an EASY to find location:)

Off to bed with me!

Upvote 0
I vote *yes* to SA's idea :) I've tried the bookmark folder but it was a big fail when you've been a member for almost 2 years...you collect a lot of *favourite* posts. That folder got deleted as it was too time consuming to shift through all of the links in there to find the one I needed.
Lol, yeah, I've got an evo folder full of links, and that has two folders in it which are getting full too. I'll need to organize that soon. :)

Upvote 0
Lol, yeah, I've got an evo folder full of links, and that has two folders in it which are getting full too. I'll need to organize that soon. :)

Where a real bookmark fail is that we cannot search the content of what was in it :/

So, Phases, if you're going to do this, please make it searchable!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones