• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Books for kids

JAy3001

Android Expert
Dec 13, 2010
UK
So I'm looking for some recommendations for my 6 year old daughter. She loves adventure and fantasy books. Her favourite book this year has been The Creakers, which I also enjoyed.

She loves stories that build suspense, giving her something to look forward to the next night. Sadly she likes David Walliams books which I don't, they are hard work, badly written and not interesting to read at all!!

I wonder if she would like one of these old school adventure books where you choose different options throughout the book. Do they still make them?.. Mmm :thinking:

Last edited:
I wonder if she would like one of these old school adventure books where you choose different options throughout the book. Do they still make them?.. Mmm :thinking:
i was at a local Barbes and Noble and they had only 4 or 5 titles of the Choose Your Own Adventure series in stock......so yes they still make them. they just are not many choice to "choose" from.

as far as kids books what reading level are we talking about?

Reactions: JAy3001
Upvote 0
@JAy3001 it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that your daughter loves reading, and you're encouraging that love. Reading is so important--and fun!--for kids.

I think she's a little too young to truly understand and appreciate The Chronicles of Narnia series, but please keep it in mind for the future. I'm sure she'll love each volume!

Reactions: ocnbrze and JAy3001
Upvote 0
Haha, we always encourage her to read. She woke up yesterday and started writing a story about our holiday that we have not even been on yet and one of her reading challenges during the summer holiday is to read somewhere high, cannot get much higher than 33 thousand feet! So she is looking forward to that one!

I found this one in amazon, just to see if she likes the format:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1407158090/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BALrDbZZN5ESZ

Although I love the sound of this one, but I feel its a bit too old for her yet. She does not do scary bless her:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0956932304/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zCLrDb4JYX5R2

Last edited:
Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Haha, we always encourage her to read. She woke up yesterday and started writing a story about our holiday that we have not even been on yet and one of her reading challenges during the summer holiday is to read somewhere high, cannot get much higher than 33 thousand feet! So she is looking forward to that one!
That's awesome!

Your URLs are a bit wonky. They don't work. :eek:

This should do it:
Create Your Own Alien Adventure!

The Secret Lake: A Children's Mystery Adventure

I agree that the latter one is too old for her right now, but it looks good, so maybe add it to your wishlist [on Amazon] and buy it when you're ready.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
@JAy3001

The favourite book that i ever read to my daughter at about that age was Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman.

Its a darn good book.. I really enjoyed it.. and has fantasy, adventure, talking dinosaurs... and a lot of other stuff....

But the thing that makes it awesome... is that its a tall tail that is being told by a Dad to his daughter... and there were loads of times in it where my daughter would interupt... saying "but what about.....?" and the next line in the book was something like "now you may be wondering about the...." Its a brilliant writing trick that he does several times in it.

(also... if you are reading it to your daughter... there is a brilliant reveal about one of the characters in it... which you are going to love, and wonder why you didn't spot it earlier)

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great book @psionandy I've added this to her books list. Is this a stand alone book as I get the impression it's a follow up to another book?

Its a completely standalone book... mores the pity... But Neil is a busy guy.. (Dr Who, Good Omens on Amazon, Eternals movie for Marvel, and a million other things....)

(He's written some other children's/young adult books... but they weren't suitable for a 7 year old (even one who loved fantasy) )

Reactions: JAy3001 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Corraline and the Grave yard book are probably a step above ... (12-13?),

"Cinnamon" might be a good one for her to read by herself... or with you and then by herself,
and "Ood and the Frost Giants" might be ok as one to read together.

(actually.. i didn't know about those... Lil Ms Psion is probably a bit old for them now.. so i'm going to buy them.. read them.. and then gift them to some nephews and nieces :) )

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks @MoodyBlues silly Amazon app. Fixed them my end too.
You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.
Already added. I forgot to mention we have the audio version of The Chronicles of Narnia to play in the car on long journeys.
Those were my favorite books as a child. We had what we called 'the playhouse' all the way at the back of our backyard. It was actually a detached, one-room building meant as an office, with shelves and closets and stuff. That was 'my' place, the place I'd go, books in hand, to lose myself in one adventure or another. I distinctly remember, when reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, pretending the double-door closet was a wardrobe like in the book. I even tested its back wall, pushing on it to see if...maybe?...could it?...would it? open onto a new land...

About 15 years ago, I bought a boxed set of the series. I just wanted to have it.

Another huge favorite of mine was Pippi Longstocking. Have you considered that yet? I'm really not sure about its target age. So much fun! :D

Upvote 0
Its a completely standalone book... mores the pity... But Neil is a busy guy.. (Dr Who, Good Omens on Amazon, Eternals movie for Marvel, and a million other things....)

(He's written some other children's/young adult books... but they weren't suitable for a 7 year old (even one who loved fantasy) )
Indeed, very busy guy.. :eek:

Corraline and the Grave yard book are probably a step above ... (12-13?),

"Cinnamon" might be a good one for her to read by herself... or with you and then by herself,
and "Ood and the Frost Giants" might be ok as one to read together.

(actually.. i didn't know about those... Lil Ms Psion is probably a bit old for them now.. so i'm going to buy them.. read them.. and then gift them to some nephews and nieces :) )
Thanks @psionandy I'll take a look at those too. :cool:

Ahg, I would have loved a place like that when I was a kid @MoodyBlues . Hopefully in our new home I can set something up for my daughter.

Well, not yet. We have watched the original film of the books a few times.

Upvote 0
Though the original series is quite old now, my three daughters all immensely enjoyed reading through the Nancy Drew mysteries. They are intended for a young reader, I'm guessing 8-10 perhaps. Very innocent scenarios but they seemed to pique my girls interest. I landed a complete set at a garage sale of all places and they were a favorite read of all three.

Upvote 0
my three daughters all immensely enjoyed reading through the Nancy Drew mysteries.
Yes, I've always heard they're very good.

In keeping with my "I like boys and boy things better than girls" preference, I read the Hardy Boys books, not Nancy Drew.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones