• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boost Charges Re-Activation, Virgin Doesn't?

adaaaam

Android Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2010
San Francisco
So I haven't paid my Boost bill in a whlie, lost my number, and they want to charge $10 or 15 for re-activation. I went to virginmobileusa.com and a support rep via chat told me there's no re-activation fees for Virgin.

Is Boost sucky or what? Or could the support rep been mistaken? If this is all true I really see no reason why anyone would pay for Boost vs. Virgin, which is only $35/month with no catches, other than anticipating savings via on-time payments for over a year (which is a really long tmie). I am not a fan of nickel and dime fees, and Virgin seems to be very value-conscious.

If you would have been aggressive (not mean), you would probably find they are MORE than capable of waving the fee... Just tell them that your well never return to boost with such terrible conditions... (as this post seems to suggest) My favorite thing to do is simply ask for a manager... They seem to suddenly become VERY helpful when you do that (i think they get into trouble if you have to go above them)

Explain why you feel that you are being treated unjustly. More often than not they are more interested in retaining a customer than losing a lousy $10

Upvote 0
The store I was at seemed to be a franchisee that probably wouldn't give a rat's ass if Boost lost a customer or not. That's why I like Virgin: you don't have to deal with anyone. You just buy a top-up card, activate your old phone, and bam you're done. Boost seems a hassle to me, since I'd have to find a way to contact (official) Boost people..

Upvote 0
Contacting Boost is easy as searching the forum. As LordVincent said you can get it waived. Not only that if you wait a bit they might turn on your phone without you knowing and the fee is "waived" as you're already active. Plus if you activate an old phone on a new number (they ask for the $10 fee) if you just wait a few days the fee will be automatically waived.

But hey. Each to their own. That's why they have Boost and Virgin.

Upvote 0
II was with virgin mobile.
I spent around $30 a week with that stupid by the minute stuff.
I'm a heavy zexter. I mean Tester! O.O
So I wasted 10 bucks in less than ten minutes that took an hour to "top-up"
Virgin m. Is just a money well. You pour into it and you get nothing back. Just more pouring.

All their smartphone plans include unlimited texting, starting at $35/mo

Upvote 0
Still wouldn't go back though.

I'm sure you wouldn't, but I was just pointing out that what cost you loads of money (texting) is in fact free for most people, and if you're paying for it, don't be mad with the structure you chose and agreed to (pay as you go) because all companies will charge you the same for txts (net10, att)

Upvote 0
I'm sure you wouldn't, but I was just pointing out that what cost you loads of money (texting) is in fact free for most people, and if you're paying for it, don't be mad with the structure you chose and agreed to (pay as you go) because all companies will charge you the same for txts (net10, att)

You can text for free and never have to deal with virgin mobile again (thankfully) just use a wifi connection and Google voice. Hope this helps. :):):)

Upvote 0
The point many avid Boost supporters are missing is that with Virgin, you do not have to call India in the first place because there are no hidden fees to trigger that. You just pick up your old phone and top it up. Boost phones lose their value after the 91st day of inactivity, whereas inactive Virgin phones retain their value for years, and provide for a very easy way to re-activate without dealing with waivers or humans.

Then there's the minority that use these no-contract phones as their main lines, and for those who have been on Boost over a year, they are priced in at a good deal and would do well to stick around. However for new customers who tend to use these phones like most do, as a secondary device, Virgin would provide more value and freedom, which is in the spirit of no-contracts. Boost on the other hand, rewards commitment, the opposite of freedom, and as such its structure resembles that of a contract carrier, because even though you can leave anytime you want, there is implied penalty (fees for reactivation like contract carriers, and shrinkage savings do not transfer to other carriers)

Upvote 0
You can text for free and never have to deal with virgin mobile again (thankfully) just use a wifi connection and Google voice. Hope this helps. :):):)

The guy's paying for txts on a pay-as-you-go dumbphone, he's not going to be able to connect to wifi nor install apps. If he had a smartphone he wouldn't be paying for txts in the first place on virgin or boost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones