• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Boost Hydro 3G completely unreliable...grrr!!!

Steezy_G

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
I'm going to start calling it BOOO!-ST if these problems persist...

Hey people out there in forum land, I've had my Hydro since Feb. this year. All in all, it's been a great gadget, actually my introduction to the droid/smartphone experience. I've loved it, up until around 2 weeks ago things started tanking - 3G internet/browsing and battery-wise.

1.) Sunday 2wks ago I woke up and my phone was off. Left it ON charging and woke up and it was off. There are other times that the phone will die(or is it rebooting?) while just sitting there plugged to the charger, with the battery at 50% or more before restarting and then only showing 5% once it restarts! Very, very puzzling and SUPER frustrating if I have something open on the phone when it does it. Could it be overheating for some reason? What would it do that for???

2.) The BIGGEST gripe I have, the same time after waking up and finding the phone off, EVER SINCE whenever I try to surf the net, the 3G speed is like a snail that's drunk and next to OD'ing on valium...IT DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE. Before this webpages took 4-8secs to be fully loaded, not it takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes to load, and that's IF they even load. Otherwise I get either a timeout error, or the ol' "This webpage cannot be displayed". It takes 5 or 6 refreshes to actually see something come up on the screen...like a banner...and then still have to wait on the rest of the page elements. Even a pretty much blank-ish page like google takes for-ev-er to fully load itself. YouTube laughs at me for even THINKING about going there. I've done all the emptying caches, resetting network settings, even called Boost 3 separate occasions. They told me work was being done to the towers in my area, and the next day everything was scheduled to be done - was told "I should see a marked improvement in my overall experience on the web and with calls and texts", and FOR ONE DAY AFTERWARD, things were normal like they were months ago. It was like I had 5G compared to what I was getting with the snail-paced problem. But then, 2 days later, speeds are back to a crawl, or my pages never load. Boost did over-air diagnostics (the whole walk-thru) and things are still very very inconsistent. Watching the bars cycle up and down, disappearing and reappearing along with the 3G symbol and the arrows flashing on and off puts a 60's laser light show to shame. As mentioned earlier on, this phone has been great up until now. I love many things about it, but with it like this the internet is virtually unusable. Calls and texts aren't affected, just web stuff. Opera is a little more rugged and will load pages when the default one won't most times, but even it can't handle no bars or a shy 3G connection that want to hide itself away. What can be done about this? Any apps out there to fix this (if I can manage to DL anything) or is this a phone problem I can tweak? Does busting a data-cap result in the speed dropping or becoming non-existent? I've gone over several times before but I could still surf. This here is ridiculous though...HELP!!!

Hi Steezy, and welcome to the forums. I know you posted this a while ago, but if you haven't found any help I thought I'd offer some. If you go to Settings and then scroll to the bottom of the list until you find "System update", click on that and you'll see several update options.

I often check these, because there's always updates being provided for this phone by Boost. I've had spotty connections and such off and on with this phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones