• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] 4g issues on 4.4 roms?

galarue

May 31, 2012
Iowa
Hey there fellow boost people. I've read of some random issues with 4g especially on 4.4 roms but haven't been able to dig up many specific details, so if this thread is unnecessary my apologies

Currently using Beanstalk, I removed the asserts from the updater script in wetbikers guide and also flashed the AOSP 4g fix file since it's a CM based rom I figured it should do the trick. I have LTE in a few spots in my area and have seen it physically connect many times now yet I can't even load google in the web browser when it claims I'm on 4g, all internet connections just time out. When I leave those areas with lte coverage it switches to 3g just fine and everything works as normal. My question is to those with broken 4g in an area you know it should work, do you see it tell you it is on the LTE network but just not load anything? Wondering if I'm just missing something, if it's the issue with 4G in general on custom 4.4 roms, or if it's just that Sprint's 4g sucks in my area

As far as I know, the only working way to get LTE is the workaround......but it is finiky and wifi messes with it.

The work around works, except when you use wifi, and once you turn on wifi, you have to like reboot to get 4g back.

It's not worth all the trouble and hassle, even though they have simplified it a bit, by using a hot boot app, but still that's just to much of a pain especially if your toggling wifi a lot like I do.....the reboot is not worth it to me, so I'm happy with 3g only.

I'm not sure where the link is....having issues with searching today, jsut not my day to search i guess.....normally I can find it right off, but today it's like pulling teeth, ugh....hate those days!
It is somewhere in the forums though, sorry I couldn't link ya.

Found the link: http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...ng-roms-mods-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3.html

It's in the 2nd post under the video tutorial.

Reactions: galarue
Upvote 0
As far as I know, the only working way to get LTE is the workaround......but it is finiky and wifi messes with it.

The work around works, except when you use wifi, and once you turn on wifi, you have to like reboot to get 4g back.

It's not worth all the trouble and hassle, even though they have simplified it a bit, by using a hot boot app, but still that's just to much of a pain especially if your toggling wifi a lot like I do.....the reboot is not worth it to me, so I'm happy with 3g only.

I'm not sure where the link is....having issues with searching today, jsut not my day to search i guess.....normally I can find it right off, but today it's like pulling teeth, ugh....hate those days!
It is somewhere in the forums though, sorry I couldn't link ya.

Found the link: http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...ng-roms-mods-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3.html

It's in the 2nd post under the video tutorial.

Oh I've already flashed that and it didn't change anything. I went back to a clean install and it was the same exact thing too, LTE displays as it says it is connected with several bars even, yet nothing loads :/ I haven't gotten it to work on stock though either so I'm thinking it's an issue with the LTE in my area, despite people I know on Sprint that can use it. Perhaps it's just jacked up on Boost? Using the MK5 modem, maybe I'll play around with a few others.

Upvote 0
Oh I've already flashed that and it didn't change anything. I went back to a clean install and it was the same exact thing too, LTE displays as it says it is connected with several bars even, yet nothing loads :/ I haven't gotten it to work on stock though either so I'm thinking it's an issue with the LTE in my area, despite people I know on Sprint that can use it. Perhaps it's just jacked up on Boost? Using the MK5 modem, maybe I'll play around with a few others.

Not sure exactly then.....I know for me in my area I'm out in a rural area, so it is spotty at best. While some times it does work, other times it's just 3g.

Try toggling data off then back on again see if it connects......I had that issue with a rom, but the rom was a modified rom not actually stock, but still a TW rom. So I swapped back to stock, rooted non modified and everything worked. Not sure what causes it but it was the rom as I had suspected.

I'd say try it in a "known" 4g working area that has a decent signal, and if possible compare with friends phone that has not been rooted and is stock. That would be the really honest true way to see if it's working or not.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help....I know these small issues that can't be tracked down so easy can be annoying and aggrevateing. This is part of the reason I stick mainly to 3g only, simply because 4g is STILL spotty in a few areas, more so than not.....4g lte isn't as saturated as people woud think, therfor it's really hard to get a lock or get it working correctly, where as 3g I know for a fact is standard everywhere and works a TON of places.

I live in the KC metro area, and we have like major google fibre here, but as for 4g lte, its wide spread but not massively like 3g is, therefor I STILL get spotty 4g in quite a few spots, even the known 4g areas sometims fades back to 3g......I don't get it either, because we have google fibre a nice fast technoloty and as far as I am awae, we were one of the first....if not THE first to get google fibre (could be wrong), yet 4g is still wonky.....eh? :thinking::thinking::thinking: kinda one of those things that makes ya go HRMMM

I do know that with aosp/cm based roms for me at least 4g has been an issue and still no simple fix or work around, other than what I posted in that link.

Upvote 0
Not sure exactly then.....I know for me in my area I'm out in a rural area, so it is spotty at best. While some times it does work, other times it's just 3g.

Try toggling data off then back on again see if it connects......I had that issue with a rom, but the rom was a modified rom not actually stock, but still a TW rom. So I swapped back to stock, rooted non modified and everything worked. Not sure what causes it but it was the rom as I had suspected.

I'd say try it in a "known" 4g working area that has a decent signal, and if possible compare with friends phone that has not been rooted and is stock. That would be the really honest true way to see if it's working or not.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help....I know these small issues that can't be tracked down so easy can be annoying and aggrevateing. This is part of the reason I stick mainly to 3g only, simply because 4g is STILL spotty in a few areas, more so than not.....4g lte isn't as saturated as people woud think, therfor it's really hard to get a lock or get it working correctly, where as 3g I know for a fact is standard everywhere and works a TON of places.

I live in the KC metro area, and we have like major google fibre here, but as for 4g lte, its wide spread but not massively like 3g is, therefor I STILL get spotty 4g in quite a few spots, even the known 4g areas sometims fades back to 3g......I don't get it either, because we have google fibre a nice fast technoloty and as far as I am awae, we were one of the first....if not THE first to get google fibre (could be wrong), yet 4g is still wonky.....eh? :thinking::thinking::thinking: kinda one of those things that makes ya go HRMMM

I do know that with aosp/cm based roms for me at least 4g has been an issue and still no simple fix or work around, other than what I posted in that link.

Hey I posted that 4g fix a while back an update on the issue the wifi messing up was an cm 11 bug that got fix so on the current builds of beanstalk and cm wifi and data works like it's supposed to and as far as the guy saying the zip didn't work out works had numerous people confirm that it works also works for me so if your data isn't working must be sprint messing up like usual lol
And Are you on the mk3 modem because if you aren't I've had other people tell me data is funny

Upvote 0
I'll just keep playing around with it but appreciate the help, just wanted to get a feel to see what the actual issues were with 4G for other people. I love AOSP roms too, so that makes me a bit sad but I've done fine with 3G for years now so I'm not in too big of a rush, just would be nice to try out 4G is all.

Oh and the fact that you have Google fiber? Sooooo jealous. Pretty sure KC was the first to get it. Comcast would have to have Google fiber in order to notice the speed at which I drop their a$$es for Google fiber once it hits our area :p

Upvote 0
I'll just keep playing around with it but appreciate the help, just wanted to get a feel to see what the actual issues were with 4G for other people. I love AOSP roms too, so that makes me a bit sad but I've done fine with 3G for years now so I'm not in too big of a rush, just would be nice to try out 4G is all.

Oh and the fact that you have Google fiber? Sooooo jealous. Pretty sure KC was the first to get it. Comcast would have to have Google fiber in order to notice the speed at which I drop their a$$es for Google fiber once it hits our area :p

This is the link to the zip you flashed right
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j5yfm8mtm04dhzr/kuYKNuTGal

Upvote 0
Hey I posted that 4g fix a while back an update on the issue the wifi messing up was an cm 11 bug that got fix so on the current builds of beanstalk and cm wifi and data works like it's supposed to and as far as the guy saying the zip didn't work out works had numerous people confirm that it works also works for me so if your data isn't working must be sprint messing up like usual lol

And thank you for doing that fix! I'm not saying it didn't work, I just have the exact same results whether I flash your fix or just cruise with it on the clean flash. LTE says it connects but doesn't seem to want to load anything when I pull up a browser or something similar.

The more I read the more I think it's Sprint's network messing up like usual. Oh wellz.

Upvote 0

Yeah good luck on the AOSP/CM roms......as I said the only fix I personally have found is in that link.

CM/AOSP has some quirks here and there.......mainly the 2 things I found was 1080p recording, it reverts back to 720 for some reason and the 4g lte connection thing. For the most part though it's solid, just takes some tweaking such as volume increase......just little things that have fixes, but are fixable with the correct apps/settings and such. Just sad a person has to even adjsut those things tog et it to work, I'm just thankful there is a fix.....so it's not ALL bad, just annoyances of having to do it is all.

The fiber thing is I think over rated of coarse unless you are a company or somone who actually "use" that much throughput.....like saying you can see the difference in 30fps and 100fps, really? you have super human eyes to actually "see" the difference?

I've had games that run in 30fps and games in 100fps, and personally if it "feels" the same, it IS the same, no matter what the counter may say That's why I go from real world expereince not what some paper or counter might say.......so if your downloading at say 50GBs, as apposed to 70GBs, sure you might have a like 2 mins increase, big woop....it's all a placebo affect at some point and time, because in reality, say if you had THE "BEST" connection in the entire world, what good does it do you if your connecting to me, the "SLOWEST" connection in the world......fact is, your going to default to "MY" speed, no matter what speed "YOU" may have, so a lot of good that fastest connection in the world is doing you when connecting to a slower speed, huh?
Chew on that for awhile :)...it's hard for people to grasp that concept, but it is a fact of the internet.

This is exactly why if you have a fast connection, while the others have a slower connection it STILL takes you forever to download said file(s), simply because you cannot speed the other end up to your speed.

Anyways sorry.....I'm off my box lol now.

If I ever find a fix for the 4g I'll sure let people know. For now all we can do is 1: the fix or work around in that link, or 2: just deal with 3g......that's the price for wanting to use cm/aosp I guess :).

Upvote 0
And Are you on the mk3 modem because if you aren't I've had other people tell me data is funny

I never tried the 4g fix, simply from reading it I didn't wanna mess with the hot boot after useing wifi.......from what I'm reading if your on 4g, switch to wifi, then back to 4g again the 4g doesn't wanna work....the fix is that someone used a hotboot app, and used that to hotboot back instead of a hard reboot, and 4g worked again.

How it would go is:
-4g works
-turn on wifi and use it for awhile
-turn wifi off
-4g is borked again
-use the hotboot app and reboot
-once booted up again, 4g is working like normal

I am on MK3, as I read people getting better speeds with mk3 as compared to mk5

Is there another fix that you don't have to do all this?

Upvote 0
Yeah good luck on the AOSP/CM roms......as I said the only fix I personally have found is in that link.

CM/AOSP has some quirks here and there.......mainly the 2 things I found was 1080p recording, it reverts back to 720 for some reason and the 4g lte connection thing. For the most part though it's solid, just takes some tweaking such as volume increase......just little things that have fixes, but are fixable with the correct apps/settings and such. Just sad a person has to even adjsut those things tog et it to work, I'm just thankful there is a fix.....so it's not ALL bad, just annoyances of having to do it is all.

The fiber thing is I think over rated of coarse unless you are a company or somone who actually "use" that much throughput.....like saying you can see the difference in 30fps and 100fps, really? you have super human eyes to actually "see" the difference?

I've had games that run in 30fps and games in 100fps, and personally if it "feels" the same, it IS the same, no matter what the counter may say That's why I go from real world expereince not what some paper or counter might say.......so if your downloading at say 50GBs, as apposed to 70GBs, sure you might have a like 2 mins increase, big woop....it's all a placebo affect at some point and time, because in reality, say if you had THE "BEST" connection in the entire world, what good does it do you if your connecting to me, the "SLOWEST" connection in the world......fact is, your going to default to "MY" speed, no matter what speed "YOU" may have, so a lot of good that fastest connection in the world is doing you when connecting to a slower speed, huh?
Chew on that for awhile :)...it's hard for people to grasp that concept, but it is a fact of the internet.

This is exactly why if you have a fast connection, while the others have a slower connection it STILL takes you forever to download said file(s), simply because you cannot speed the other end up to your speed.

Anyways sorry.....I'm off my box lol now.

If I ever find a fix for the 4g I'll sure let people know. For now all we can do is 1: the fix or work around in that link, or 2: just deal with 3g......that's the price for wanting to use cm/aosp I guess :).

I absolutely have thought of the fact that your download speed will only be as fast as the other end, but I'm guessing you pay a LOT less for internet than I do that might be 2 minutes faster and have a slightly faster framerate that feels similar. By the time they make it to my neck of the woods I'm hoping a lot more places will have the fiber too so that everyone wins that game. I'm just tired of the monopoly game the ISPs play and I think google fiber will counteract that. I know people in KC that have said Time Warner is definitely making huge strides in their service there and offering it at a much better price to get people to come back, there is no such thing here.

Getting off topic here :p I'm used to the tweaks and fixes needed for CM roms and will keep using them I'm sure, it's only a matter of time for me to get my 4G working. Thanks for everyone's help and input!

Upvote 0
I absolutely have thought of the fact that your download speed will only be as fast as the other end, but I'm guessing you pay a LOT less for internet than I do that might be 2 minutes faster and have a slightly faster framerate that feels similar. By the time they make it to my neck of the woods I'm hoping a lot more places will have the fiber too so that everyone wins that game. I'm just tired of the monopoly game the ISPs play and I think google fiber will counteract that. I know people in KC that have said Time Warner is definitely making huge strides in their service there and offering it at a much better price to get people to come back, there is no such thing here.

Getting off topic here :p I'm used to the tweaks and fixes needed for CM roms and will keep using them I'm sure, it's only a matter of time for me to get my 4G working. Thanks for everyone's help and input!

Yup. WE have Bright House here in Cali. They actually aren't that bad either. I just wish their prices were a little lower. I have the basic package which is 10mbps and I actually get anywhere from 11 to 16 sometimes. Still, they are offering 30mbps, 60mbps, and 90mbps is coming. All of these come with a nice monthly fee attached too which sux. Still, 90mbps is crazy!!!! I can't even imagine what it will be like. They've been advertising it now for a few months so it shouldn't be much longer before it goes live. I hate to even imagine what the cost will be though. OUCH!! :rolleyes:

I just got news from a buddy of mine that 4G is going live in Bakersfield, Ca which is awesome. It'll probably end up taking them another year to get it to the towers an hour down the road though. Oh well, I'm happy with my 10mbps from Bright House right now. It sure beats the heck out of standard Boost 3G. :p:D

Upvote 0
I got FiOS, 25Mb/sec up and down... I love it on my desktop but android is highly limited, might just be my wifi but it barely seems much faster than 4G...

Wy has been watching the 4G Sprint forums. That's how I found out about Bakersfield getting 4G. I'll be headed there this week so hopefully I'll be able to give 4G a try. It'll be a 1st for me. I've never been able to try 4G on my phone yet. Yup, def stoked about that one. :D

Upvote 0
Wy has been watching the 4G Sprint forums. That's how I found out about Bakersfield getting 4G. I'll be headed there this week so hopefully I'll be able to give 4G a try. It'll be a 1st for me. I've never been able to try 4G on my phone yet. Yup, def stoked about that one. :D

Nice, don't get to hooked on the speed though.....it can be disappointing once you don't have it. :)

Upvote 0
So I feel like an idiot. I guess 4G does work on the older ROMs for me, it just fooled me since it says it connects on the 4.4 ROMs but doesn't actually do anything. Sigh.

Yep. That my experience. It just doesn't connect. I've seen it flicker, so it like tries then doesn't connect. It also doesn't revert down to 3g either so it results in no connection at all unless you use CDMA/evdo/auto. Using lte though doesn't connect.

Upvote 0
I never tried the 4g fix, simply from reading it I didn't wanna mess with the hot boot after useing wifi.......from what I'm reading if your on 4g, switch to wifi, then back to 4g again the 4g doesn't wanna work....the fix is that someone used a hotboot app, and used that to hotboot back instead of a hard reboot, and 4g worked again.

How it would go is:
-4g works
-turn on wifi and use it for awhile
-turn wifi off
-4g is borked again
-use the hotboot app and reboot
-once booted up again, 4g is working like normal

I am on MK3, as I read people getting better speeds with mk3 as compared to mk5

Is there another fix that you don't have to do all this?

Sorry been busy it's been snowing like crazy and I came up with the hotbooting to fix 4g sticking but on the newer builds of cm11 and beanstalk it's fixed that was an issue with cm not the zip the zip only sets the correct apns
Also on asop roms hotbooting is simply restarting the phones ui and the app rebooter has that opinion it doesn't reboot your phone at all but it's personal preference for me I'm just chilling on tw Untill all the bugs are worked out of 4.4 roms

Upvote 0
So I feel like an idiot. I guess 4G does work on the older ROMs for me, it just fooled me since it says it connects on the 4.4 ROMs but doesn't actually do anything. Sigh.

Idk haven't tried any stable 4.3 roms But I could never get it to work I'm sorry man your having issues with 4g because I know that can be an deal breaker on being a daily driver actually until I got the 4g fix I wouldn't run asop roms just because of that but I'm personally back on tw just because it's more stable and I can play all my games for some reason subway surfers and a few other games would never work on asop roms weird but nonetheless don't give up on 4.4 roms just wait a few until they get it stable and maybe by then sprint will have fixed the 4g issue

Upvote 0
Sorry been busy it's been snowing like crazy and I came up with the hotbooting to fix 4g sticking but on the newer builds of cm11 and beanstalk it's fixed that was an issue with cm not the zip the zip only sets the correct apns
Also on asop roms hotbooting is simply restarting the phones ui and the app rebooter has that opinion it doesn't reboot your phone at all but it's personal preference for me I'm just chilling on tw Untill all the bugs are worked out of 4.4 roms

I'm on cn m2 release and 4g doesn't work on this ROM at all, WiFi off even, it just does not wanna work. Not sure why just know it doesn't. I having even done the hotboot trick because lte doesn't work.

As for tw, I totally understand. Seems like I always end up somehow going back to tw because of that exact reason.....tw just works

Upvote 0
I'm on cn m2 release and 4g doesn't work on this ROM at all, WiFi off even, it just does not wanna work. Not sure why just know it doesn't. I having even done the hotboot trick because lte doesn't work.

As for tw, I totally understand. Seems like I always end up somehow going back to tw because of that exact reason.....tw just works

See idk those builds are unpredictable and undependable I haven't been on cm in a while actually the last thing I ran that was tw was beanstalk 4.4 you should try that maybe it's a cm thing but once again sorry I'll get around to testing cm out again and let you know if I get the same results, but as far as tw we might all not like it but at least it's stable and reliable just horrible on battery life lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones