• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Broken Screen...Need to find a way to retrieve Data/important files

I have a Galaxy S3 that has a completely cracked and broken screen that is completely dark and unresponsive to touch, however, everything else is still functional...it still will ring when you call it, it still will make the notification when it receives a text, it still can be powered on and off through the power button, and the volume keys still adjust the volume. BUT i cannot get any files pulled from the internal memory and have no way of using the keypad to enter any codes, cannot bypass the screen lock to allow communication from the USB port or any other way of accessing the phones data wirelessly.

IS THERE A WAY TO RETRIEVE THE INFORMATION? I.E. ADB, android toolkit, Kies, or other software?

The phone is the newer edition...SPH L710T (The "spark")
ROOTED, Newest Philz, Wicked X8.0, XPosed Framework

I will NOT send my phone anywhere or give to someone else to connect a functional screen

IS THERE A WAY TO RETRIEVE THE INFORMATION? I.E. ADB, android toolkit, Kies, or other software?

As long as you can turn the phone on you should be able to connect it to a PC. It's possible that USB Debugging needs to be enabled, but I'm not 100% on that. Is it enabled already? I'm guessing it is if you're rooted.

Check out this software:

M
oboRobo

As far as I can remember, once you've installed the software to your PC, you just need to connect your S3 to the PC using the USB lead and it will connect the two and give you access to the files on the phone as well as on the SD card if there is one.

You will need to install the Samsung USB drivers first; you can get them here:

S3 USB DRIVERS

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
I guess it would have been more helpful if i clarified my situation.

The phone somehow is not in ADB debugging Mode (i dont know how that happened) and i have a screen lock. I am very famliar with this phone and have used Liquid Smooth and Cyanogen Mods on it. I have the ANDROID SDK, Android Toolkit Pro, DFS, and Linux Live CD, and pretty much everything else that is used on phones these days

Upvote 0
Oh...It would have been too easy to plug the phone in via USB and copy the contents displayed on the file explorers window, which happens automatically when debugging is on and the screen is unlocked and the phone is set to allow the PC to read the two memory locations. However, debugging is off, the screen is locked...and to allow the PC to access the phone in this state I would have to have the screen on so I can to choose to allow access via MTP

Upvote 0
I say it'd just be easier to boot to recovery and use the volume and power keys to get to the nandroid backup menu while looking at a picture of the recovery options and menus. Thats what I did with my old Warp, the screen was broken and out so I made a recovery then pulled it from the sd card on my computer.

I think I know of a way to get the lock off via ADB commands but idk if it'll work without debugging on.

EDIT: If you reboot to recovery and leave the phone that way then debugging should come on automatically once you plug it in to your PC, if I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones