1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Boost Mobile] Broken Screen...Need to find a way to retrieve Data/important files

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 4lucid, Nov 6, 2014.

1. 4lucid

4lucid Lurker

I have a Galaxy S3 that has a completely cracked and broken screen that is completely dark and unresponsive to touch, however, everything else is still functional...it still will ring when you call it, it still will make the notification when it receives a text, it still can be powered on and off through the power button, and the volume keys still adjust the volume. BUT i cannot get any files pulled from the internal memory and have no way of using the keypad to enter any codes, cannot bypass the screen lock to allow communication from the USB port or any other way of accessing the phones data wirelessly.

IS THERE A WAY TO RETRIEVE THE INFORMATION? I.E. ADB, android toolkit, Kies, or other software?

The phone is the newer edition...SPH L710T (The "spark")
    ROOTED, Newest Philz, Wicked X8.0, XPosed Framework

I will NOT send my phone anywhere or give to someone else to connect a functional screen

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. marcus33

marcus33 Member

As long as you can turn the phone on you should be able to connect it to a PC. It's possible that USB Debugging needs to be enabled, but I'm not 100% on that. Is it enabled already? I'm guessing it is if you're rooted.

Check out this software:

M
    oboRobo

As far as I can remember, once you've installed the software to your PC, you just need to connect your S3 to the PC using the USB lead and it will connect the two and give you access to the files on the phone as well as on the SD card if there is one.

You will need to install the Samsung USB drivers first; you can get them here:

S3 USB DRIVERS

Hope this helps :)

3. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

4. marcus33

marcus33 Member

Good to know about, but I don't know if it's exactly what 4lucid is looking for; how would it help one retrieve files from a phone?

(BTW MoboRobo also displays what should be showing on the phone's screen and allow a screenshot to be taken.)

5. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

It would allow then to operate the phone on the computer's screen so anything can be done to backup, whether it's apps, pics, or messages

6. marcus33

marcus33 Member

If that's what Droid@Screen does then that's great :)

It's just not obvious from the website; doesn't say anything about remote control, just projecting the contents of the screen.

Does it work okay with custom ROMs?

7. 4lucid

4lucid Lurker

I guess it would have been more helpful if i clarified my situation.

The phone somehow is not in ADB debugging Mode (i dont know how that happened) and i have a screen lock. I am very famliar with this phone and have used Liquid Smooth and Cyanogen Mods on it. I have the ANDROID SDK, Android Toolkit Pro, DFS, and Linux Live CD, and pretty much everything else that is used on phones these days

8. 4lucid

4lucid Lurker

Oh...It would have been too easy to plug the phone in via USB and copy the contents displayed on the file explorers window, which happens automatically when debugging is on and the screen is unlocked and the phone is set to allow the PC to read the two memory locations. However, debugging is off, the screen is locked...and to allow the PC to access the phone in this state I would have to have the screen on so I can to choose to allow access via MTP

9. Skinnyjeans21

Skinnyjeans21 Android Expert

I say it'd just be easier to boot to recovery and use the volume and power keys to get to the nandroid backup menu while looking at a picture of the recovery options and menus. Thats what I did with my old Warp, the screen was broken and out so I made a recovery then pulled it from the sd card on my computer.

I think I know of a way to get the lock off via ADB commands but idk if it'll work without debugging on.

EDIT: If you reboot to recovery and leave the phone that way then debugging should come on automatically once you plug it in to your PC, if I'm not mistaken.

10. Skinnyjeans21

Skinnyjeans21 Android Expert

Just read the OP. About the files... perhaps the internal memory partitioned as an SD card is corrupted?

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews