1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Boost Mobile] Does Wolfdroid saferoot work on boost sgs3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Modman, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Modman

Modman Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2011

Advertisement

2. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    I'll answer myself and also help those trying not to void their warranty.
    It works perfectly!!! But no custom recovery. anything flashed through odin or unlocking bootloader will trip knox.

mydian and smith058 like this.
  3. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    That's great news... maybe we can get this added to the rooting methods or stickied.
    Many newcomers would most likely love this if they only want stock with root.

4. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    I read the info at the link site and it looks pretty darn good. As Smith mentioned, great for people just wanting root privilege w/o CWM, TWRP, or Philz.

Thumbs up for a nice find, Modman.:thumbup:

Modman likes this.
  5. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    From another post I read seems like any custom recovery will trip knox. I found an xga post saying that mobile odin will not trip knox flashing a Rom if kernel doesn't change and you do it without custom recovery. What kit Kit roms for our phone
    Have no custom kernels and as far as I know most roms don't have built in recovery. Just thinking if I try to flash a custom rom and bypass knox it should be worth the effort. Like a stable kit Kat rom with no custom kernel not extremely difficult to configure. Any suggestions?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2583199

I really thought beanstalk looked cool. However i don't know enough to know if it has a custom kernel. Or if there are easier to configure more stable kit Kat roms.
    Also I use my phone for exchange email for work I can't pick a rom that doesn't have active sync working.

6. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    If you can't change change the kernel your stuck in two ways. First you have to stay with touchwiz. Second you have to stay in the same android version your in now.
    So kit kat is a no go

Modman likes this.
  7. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    Here is the question. Samsung is going to release a kit Kat ota. I could wait till it gets rooted. Unroot and take ota and reroot. What is the time frame of its release? Or I could flash jdsingles rom. Once the ota comes out will only stock roms have the same kernel? Or will there be others? More importantly if I except tripping knox eventually does active sync work properly on any custom kit Kat roms? I currently have tethering working and I froze bloat so I'm running fine on stock right now.I use this phone for work msexchange, email so having that working outweighs my desire to try custom roms as well.so far stock email is the only email I've been able to use with exchange, enhanced email and k9 have worked on other phones but not on my samsung phones.does anyone here use a custom kikat rom with exchange email and if they do what email client do they use?

8. rickpcb

rickpcb Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2012
    Male
    St Augustine, FL

If you're really waiting for an official release I recommend you stay stock for now. You can't keep your stock tw kernel from 4.3 and run a custom AOSP kk rom.

9. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    I thought you needed a custom kernel for aosp and cm roms?

10. rickpcb

None

Sep 11, 2012
    Male
    St Augustine, FL

Correct, which is why I suggest staying stock for him at this time.

smith058 likes this.
  11. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Lol.... sorry I miss read "can't" as "you -can- keep your stock tw kernel"
    By bad! :/

12. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    I may not care about the warranty after it ends. Is there a custom rom with kk that supports active sync for exchange?
    Yes I was already going to stay stock at least till april 28th for the warranty. But as long as I have this job or a job that uses msexchange I have no choice but to be stock unless I know I can use msexchange email on the custom rom through an email client. Im sure someone will eventually release a rooted custom version of the ota. Even though that might seem to take an eternity.

13. rickpcb

None

Sep 11, 2012
    Male
    St Augustine, FL

Try nine exchange from the play store. Free trial, ten bucks to purchase but has great reviews.

Modman likes this.
  14. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    Only thing is have you tried it? Or someone you know tried it? Which custom rom can you verify that it worked with? Id like to eventually try a kit Kat rom. But I can't take a chance that two many things won't work.
    Even if it worked with stock it wouldn't prove whether it will work with the rom I flash.

15. rickpcb

None

Sep 11, 2012
    Male
    St Augustine, FL

I don't use exchange so I have not tested it. It works with stock confirmed. It's basically just an IMAP client, supports push and active sync. Should work on anything.
    Here's a suggestion... Stay like you are now until the warranty is up, then flash Philz recovery. Make a nandroid backup. Flash SlimKat. Flash the APN fix. Reboot. Install the mail client. If it doesn't meet your needs, flash your nandroid to get back to where you are now...

Modman likes this.
  16. Kreatur3

Kreatur3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    If it's a free trial you have nothing to lose by trying it. Then you could contribute some knowledge to others. Someone always has to be the first to take the dive. Otherwise we'd all be running stock...

Modman, smith058 and wetbiker7 like this.
  17. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    So slimkat is a slimmed down version of stock kk looks cool. All I need is apn fix?
    So its very fast no bloat. Stable? Thinking I might have to check it out when warranty ends.

This apn fix?

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...universal-boost-apn-fix-d2lte-builds-mod.html

Everything else works out of the box after flashing philz the rom and apn fix?

Is there a non alpha stable build of slim kat?

Is it the file for the Sprint S3 since boost mobile is not listed

this one http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewcategory/1044-d2spr

Which rom do I use when I look on slimroms. I don't see the sph-L710 listed.

18. rickpcb

None

Sep 11, 2012
    Male
    St Augustine, FL
    Yes it's stable. Yes, that's the fix. Yes, use the newest d2spr build. Be sure after flashing Philz to use the option to wipe system for new rom before flashing SlimKat. Then flash the rom then the fix. Reboot. Then as with any AOSP rom flash gapps. Use the gapps on the slim website. On first boot the rom will try to activate. Skip this step. It's not needed. And remember after flashing Philz to make a backup before wiping system. Have fun!

Modman likes this.
  19. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    You've said that many times now but I would think you would want to take advantage of the warranty and flash the stuff now that way if something goes terminally wrong you could return the phone and replace it with a new one via the warranty.

That's how I have done it, in fact I had to replace the s3 twice because I couldn't get custom recovery to mount thus couldn't root and bootlooped the phone trying alternative ways. I replaced the ONEsv twice as well but that was because of poor speaker issues. Basically when I drop dollars on the phone I want it to work the way I want or else I'll be returning it for a refund.

Modman likes this.
  20. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    Actually no next week.
    Because knox tripping is irreversible.
    Reason knox is not currently tripped and my 14 days ends on
    The 28th.

Which means free replacement till 28th as long as knox isnt tripped.
    I believe i can just unroot through super SU.

I am registered for the boost esperian, insurance as well, however that costs at least 80 dollars to replace.

It covers lost or stolen phones.

The 14 day boost may not cover lost stolen. I'm sure also not intentional damage.
    Or I'm also not sure which accidental damage is covered either.
    Since I know for a fact boost insurance will cover it and if it happens for the deductible fee.
    I've decided I'll probably do it next week.

So im not actually lying if it somehow gets lost.

So yes i would unfortunately have to pay the deductible but better than the full price.

Im just not tripping knox till my 14 days is up.

It is a boost certified phone.

No rush ive used custom roms before.

If i use slimkat which would probably be the most benefit knox will
    Trip. Mobile odin on a stock rom ie,jdsingle might not trip it but not having
    Custom recovery to flash back in the event of an issue isnt good.
    Also probably not a huge benefit to use a stock deodexed rom over the original stock rom anyway. I usually only flash roms when i can use a newer os, on older phones that may not get updated.

Which recovery did you use that bootlooped the phone?
    Was going to try philz.
    Heard it was like cwm.
    Never once bricked a phone installing custom recovery so far. Well if custom recovery mounts through odin I'm going to go slimkat. If it doesn't stock has been working fine. Maybe already being already rooted will help. Since I'm not sure the 14 day guarantee covers everything, I may have to pay a deductible should anything go wrong. Does my version of odin matter? Because I already have an old version installed from my sgs2? Looking forward to trying it next week. I just wanted to evaluate this phone 14 days without tripping knox. After that I have to pay a deductible if it breaks for any reason anyway.

21. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    all three recoveries work now, don't sweat that.

It wasn't recovery that bootlooped my phone it was something else I did when trying to root when at the time the only way to root the phone was to Odin recovery then flash su.
    The second batch of our phones had a patch that fixed the recovery partition kernel to prevent mounting partitions from custom recovery to prevent us from rooting. It took a couple months to hack it to find out what Samsung did to prevent us from rooting.

Modman likes this.
  22. Modman

None

May 31, 2011
    im also assuming that since i have stock recovery i cannot flash philz there.
    so i downloaded the md5.tar to flash it through odin.
    then once philz is working no more odin backup flash everything from philz cwm
    downloading all my files to get ready for friday night flashing.

23. smith058

smith058 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes n yes...
    That's correct

Good luck and have fun flashing!

Modman likes this.