• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [Guide]How to change your MSL and PRL (Not CDMA Workshop)

This is great software and everything I put a windows XP laptop together just for this kind of thing. But unfortunatly for me, after all the work of installing programs and learning how to use them, getting my msl# from the phone, etc. I flashed different prl numbers off and on all day, with no sucess at all. My phone works the best with 61009 and it's the one boost updated me to, I finally updated my prl and profile with the phone update tool only to get back to a semi good signal. This post is for information and data gathering only.

Upvote 0
EDIT: Yes all the prl's flashed correctly, I checked them on my phone after every flash. The guide to find msl# and the software to flash prl's is AWESOME!!! I was able to follow along and do everything with no problems, It's just that nothing worked any better for me is all. I read all the articles about what a prl is and what it actually does also, I still had to try anyway!!!

Upvote 0
Hey Lil, did you try all of these? The link below is for my personal Dropbox PRL stash. 25006 seems to work great for me. Not sure where you are.

http://db.tt/CMNv9vc9

Well, Since I am an expert at flashing prl's now, It won hurt to give it another try!!!:smokingsomb:
But I need to slow down on these cigarettes!!:smokingsomb: I believe they are from Canada!!:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
No need to be sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't help. It sounds like you are in a very weak signal area, by the description you gave of only getting 1x data after each flash, maybe another good Boost PRL will get released soon. Have you made any other 3g tweaks? Changed proxy servers? Vocoders? I hope you didn't do what the OP of this thread suggested, that will cause a few issues as well.

Upvote 0
If you are with Sprint, just call them up stating you are having very slow internet connection issues and sometimes you have no internet connection. They will take you to the phone dialier, have you enter ## and some numbers, and then ask you to enter an MSL number. Just write this number down as they tell you what it is and their you have it. No fuss. :)

Upvote 0
I'm really sorry that I'm late to this.

Changing your msl code is a galactically bad idea.

Why are you doing that?

I did it because the directions to the software required it, I just reversed it, then flashed a whole bunch of different PRL files, none of them gave me a better signal or faster 3g. I changed the prl back to the one boost gave me through the phone update option. That was months ago. My phone has operated fine, I flashed a few different roms since then though. The best setup so far I have is the CTModRom Noobed. I still have a different msl than the one the phone came with. If I knew that changing it was a risk I never would have spent 2 whole days trying all that flashing and stuff. But, It didn't seem to affect the phone,for good or bad.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
That's not even wrong, it's so wrong.

MSL ought to be left alone.

It's tied to the ESN.

Maybe someone should put a disclaimer in the 1st post of this thread to warn people? I followed the instructions to the letter though, and everything actually turned out fine, except I didn't get any better reception, service, faster speeds or anything really. I pretty much wasted 2 days on the project. I just checked my msl # and it is still the one I changed it to.

Phone is working the best it ever has with CTMod 3.75 noobed.

Upvote 0
Yeah, disclaimer is there.

You did very well.

The FP said, don't know if 6 digits are required (most definitely is), keep a record of your original (we're human, mistakes happen), and the question about carrier support came up - take your phone in for help, and if they're doing their job and notice the discrepancy, they won't think you changed your MSL. They're more likely going to think that you have a stolen phone with someone else's ESN.

None of which is an issue for the extremely conscientious who won't take their phone in.

For those of us known to make mistakes or misplace things, I think that the disclaimer makes sense.

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
Yeah, disclaimer is there.

You did very well.

The FP said, don't know if 6 digits are required (most definitely is), keep a record of your original (we're human, mistakes happen), and the question about carrier support came up - take your phone in for help, and if they're doing their job and notice the discrepancy, they won't think you changed your MSL. They're more likely going to think that you have a stolen phone with someone else's ESN.

None of which is an issue for the extremely conscientious who won't take their phone in.

For those of us known to make mistakes or misplace things, I think that the disclaimer makes sense.

Whew!!! I thought I maybe in some legal trouble!!! My phone is over a year old now, so I prolly wont be taking it in for service!!LOL!! Thank's EarlyMon!! I do have the original, it's just thereverse of the one I changed it to. Lot easier to remember!! Plus I wrote it down. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this but by doing this am I able to take the MSL and or ESN of my old Virgin Mobile phone and put it on my old Sprint phone thereby flashing it to Virgin Mobile? (P.S. Again forgive me if this is against the rules.)

That's a transfer. Retire the Virgin Mobile phone for good when done, move its appropriate stickers to the Sprint phone, and today, you're legal, last I checked.

Sell the Virgin Mobile phone or use its esn again in any way, that's cloning and is illegal.

Whether this is a complete method, sorry, don't know.

Reactions: BigBossman
Upvote 0
That's a transfer. Retire the Virgin Mobile phone for good when done, move its appropriate stickers to the Sprint phone, and today, you're legal, last I checked.

Sell the Virgin Mobile phone or use its esn again in any way, that's cloning and is illegal.

Whether this is a complete method, sorry, don't know.

Firstly thanks for the reply :) secondly no I don't plan on selling the phone if I do the transfer. But like this is my scenario, currently I own a retired Samsung Intercept from Virgin Mobile and a retired Samsung Epic (1st gen) from Sprint. My intent is to take the MSL and ESN (along with the CDMA evdo .prl) from the Intercept using this program to put them on the Epic thereby flashing it to Virgin Mobile. To my understanding from what you're saying it's legal as long as I don't sell the Intercept after the transfer. And this method would work? (Sorry for the extensive comment haha)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones