• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] KitKat ND8 update

unurenu5.jpg
enebebu9.jpg
I love the new stock Debloated. I'll be here for awhile. I like what wicked and Moar bring to the table but it's more than I need. Plus I prefer unthemed TW.

I made a backup of my stock debloated and flashed the newest wicked x 6.0. Its pretty much themed stock with a few extras and heavy theming. I use xposed anyway so I've changed a lot. Still a lot of blue but its pretty cool. I never thought I'd Knox up. Lol. :D

Upvote 0
Just an update for everybody. A link was posted earlier showing ND8 is available from Virgin Mobile now. Not sure if its true but wanted to share and get opinions and let jdsingle and CNexus know. I had to request the desktop site on my phone. The first part says Android 4.3 but the rest says KitKat and ND8. If someone could let me know that would be great. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00055924/69439/SPH-L710RWBVMU
EDIT: Its under Virgin Mobile all things root forum. Android 4.4.2 VM SPH-L710 thread.

Upvote 0
Just wondering, if you're running ND8 FW/ROM then flash back to any of the stock 4.3 ROMs, would this same ROM run that much better than on MK3/MK5 FW?

I don't much, guessing here, but I'm assuming not really. The 4.3 roms would still be running on the 4.3 file system not on the 4.4 system. Feel free to give it a try though. ;)

Let me rephrase my question. Let's say one has MK3/MK5 FW (not knoxed up) running any 4.3 ROM and other one on ND8 FW running a same 4.3 ROM (I've noticed some of you are flashing back to wicked, MOAR, and etc.). Is there a noticeable performance difference, besides the looks?

I don't get why would someone upgrade to ND8 only to be knoxed up if there isn't a significant difference in performance. :thinking: I mean this device runs pretty good as it is.

Upvote 0
Let me rephrase my question. Let's say one has MK3/MK5 FW (not knoxed up) running any 4.3 ROM and other one on ND8 FW running a same 4.3 ROM (I've noticed some of you are flashing back to wicked, MOAR, and etc.). Is there a noticeable performance difference, besides the looks?

I don't get why would someone upgrade to ND8 only to be knoxed up if there isn't a significant difference in performance. :thinking: I mean this device runs pretty good as it is.

As far as appearance, not much difference. But there definitely is an increase in performance. 4.3 is as far as you're going to get without being Knox'd up. Embrace the change man, it's inevitable.

Upvote 0
As far as appearance, not much difference. But there definitely is an increase in performance. 4.3 is as far as you're going to get without being Knox'd up. Embrace the change man, it's inevitable.

Haha...Thanks JD! I actually don't mind the change but not if there isn't any difference. But now that I have some confirmation about the increase in performance, I welcome the change! :D

Upvote 0
Oh what the hell!! I'm Knoxed up!! LMAO!!!!!!

Looks like it WAS inevitable. :D

I said what the heck and went for it. So far so good and the signal is great, Wy.

Guys.... if I'm getting decent signal where I live, anyone who has a half decent signal should be OK.

I bypassed all the rooting stuff and went ahead and flashed Wicked-X. I've been sitting on the fence long enough. I would think up several reasons why I shouldn't flash the update but the FLASHOHOLIC in me kept telling me to go for it....... so I did. :p :D

So let the games begin! Time to set up Wicked-X and see what we're working with.

*** Just a heads up***

I tried flashing the newest Odin tar for Philz but I got an error 3 times in a row. Each time was with a new download too. Had to rule out corrupt DLs. I drpped back 1 build and it flashed with no problems. :)

Upvote 0
Oh what the hell!! I'm Knoxed up!! LMAO!!!!!!

Looks like it WAS inevitable. :D

I said what the heck and went for it. So far so good and the signal is great, Wy.

Guys.... if I'm getting decent signal where I live, anyone who has a half decent signal should be OK.

I bypassed all the rooting stuff and went ahead and flashed Wicked-X. I've been sitting on the fence long enough. I would think up several reasons why I shouldn't flash the update but the FLASHOHOLIC in me kept telling me to go for it....... so I did. :p :D

So let the games begin! Time to set up Wicked-X and see what we're working with.

*** Just a heads up***

I tried flashing the newest Odin tar for Philz but I got an error 3 times in a row. Each time was with a new download too. Had to rule out corrupt DLs. I drpped back 1 build and it flashed with no problems. :)

Cool. Glad it is working great for you. From what I have read the signal problem only affects LTE switching when the LTE signal is weak. I don't think that selecting LTE manually even works in that case. I haven't tried it myself, but that is what I read and it would be a problem for me since I don't have Wifi at home and I try to use LTE as much as possible.

Give it the ol Bakersfield test. If it works good, I might give it a shot.

Upvote 0
Well, no big deal Biker, since you got Philz to flash you can just flash the newest one using the zip instead of Odin.

Exactly. I'm glad you mentioned that, WY. I just didn't want anyone else to trip out and panic if they couldn't get the newest Philz tar to flash.

Another thing I want to mention. Guys, if you decide to go ahead with the update, make sure you have a good charge on your battery because it takes about 10 minutes for the KitKat image to flash. That is definitely one time that you don't want your battery to die. If you're flashing a new update like this and your battery dies, it can very easily result in a brick.

So far Wicked-X is running smooth as can be. Signal is decent and the ROM is nice. I'm probably going to flash the newest KT kernel since it's said to work nicely. There's nothing wrong with the stock kernel. It's running smooth. The KT kernel just has more options. Since its available, I might as well give it a try. :thumbup:

I also like the fact that I can flash all of my old Philz backups. :D:thumbup: The big test will be when I'm in the city. Hopefully I'll be able to pick 4G up easily. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :D

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that there were 2 tars released on 5/14/14 but only 1 zip. 1 tar worked for me and the other didn't. According to the time stamp, one is 1 second newer than the other, LOL!!! Seeing as there is only 1 zip, the thing to do is exactly as Wy said, flash the zip file.

Thanks again for mentioning that, Wy.

Reactions: steelyus1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones