• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [MOD] Universal Boost APN fix for D2LTE builds [MOD]

MopedRyder

Android Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2013
OHIO
CURRENT STATUS

***Note - your warranty is now void. If your phone dies, its on you.

This is a continued work in process. This version was built for the universal lte builds most ROM builders have moved to.

I created and maintain the APN fix for the Virgin Mobile S3 phone. wyelkins stopped by and asked if I could port it to the Boost Mobile platform.

This should work on any of the new universal d2lte builds. Most roms markers are moving too the d2lte builds. It will work on d2spr builds as well.

Currently we have working 4G LTE with both MMS send and receive working on CM / AOSP ROMs via Hangouts. This fix is mostly to achieve 4G/LTE connections. Stock MMS probably still wont work. Ill still work on it though.

This mod should:
1. Search and edit appropriate lines in build.prop
2. Reset the telephony databases (first boot will take a few)
3. copy + correct apns-conf file
4. Add / update the eri.xml file

Directions:
Flash ROM
Boot up first - reboot recovery
Flash Fix
It may take up to 5min to connect
profit....

Thanks go to junkie2100 - without his help and settings my fix would not have been possible. Its open source so edit how you want. I ask that you give props to me and junkie2100 please.

Link for current build:

CLICK HERE

Special thanks to:
junkie2100
punkmaxx
struckn

FAQs

Question: Does lte work?
Answer: Based on testing yes.

Question: Will this work on both "d2lte" and "d2spr" builds?
Answer: Based on testing yes.

Question: Will this work on both Galaxy S5 ROMs?
Answer: Based on initial testing yes.

Question: Will this work on other phones for Boost fix?
Answer: Untested. The fix operates via the google universal partition setup. This means its based on partition names in the CM / AOSP ROMs rather than hard partition points.

Question: Will this work on MK5 or other TW based ROMs?
Answer: Based on testing yes - Ive tested it on MOAR v9.

Question: Will mms work on XXX mms app?
Answer: I only use Hangouts and I tested mms on that. Others may taken some inputs to work.

Question: Will "Boost" show up as carrier?
Answer: Based on testing - yes.

Question: Can I incorporate into my ROM?
Answer: Of course! Its Open Source. Use / modify as you need. Just give credit.

Question: If I dirty flash should I redo the APN fix?
Answer: YES - I suggest you reflash the APN fix with dirty flashes. Dirty flashes replace the build.prop and that will need re-updated.

Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks for the quick response on this and the attention to detail.

As a test I installed CM11 from 0406. This just happened to be a zip that I still had on my SD card. I have been running AICP until earlier today I switched back to LiquidSmooth.

No data before the zip. One nice thing about CM11 is that you can see the APNs.

esahysem.jpg

After the zip, LTE and 3g work.

e7ery4uz.jpg

I sent an MMS but it failed with a message that APN not found. I have been using Chomp for so long that I have not worried too much about stock MMS. Here are the settings in Chomp, thanks to WetBiker. They are Sprint settings but they work. I don't remember the Boost settings.

3ejudu3a.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. Does the carrier indicate Boost? Also does mms work thru hangouts?

Actually, the carrier does indicate Boost now whereas it was showing Sprint. :D I haven't tried Hangouts for SMS/MMS..... ever. I always use Chompsms. I won't be able to actually try the 4G until Monday when I'm in Bakersfield. I'll be sure to post my results as soon as I am in a 4G area though. I'm really stoked and hope I'll get some 4G action!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. Does the carrier indicate Boost? Also does mms work thru hangouts?

I'm going to flash the newest ls tonight so I'll try this fix and let you know about 4g and mms through hangouts. I've never used hangouts for mms but I'm assuming I should just be able to select it as default messenger app and try to send. I'll report back tonight after I've tried it. Probably a couple hours.

Upvote 0
So is this any different from the one made by junkie we already have is it supposed to fix 4g 3g and mms?
Because the one I linked on my Dropbox already does this it just doesn't add the mms apn once it resets the telephone database

The Dropbox version? If you are referring to the one linked here:
http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3.html#post6155025

That fix I wrote the script and junkie did the APNs. From his Boost APNs and guidance I was able to do the Virgin Mobile ones. The script in that one sets the build.prop to Sprint. The Dropbox version script was made for the D2SPR builds.

The fix I have in OP here was created due to the newer D2LTE builds. The script was made for updating the build.prop for those newer builds. Id call this one as basically the next version of the fix. Even though it was made for d2LTE builds it will work fine with d2SPR builds.

Also I append a different eri.xml file so the carrier shows Boost instead of Sprint.

Reactions: HiiiPowers
Upvote 0
Tested it and works with hangouts,stock messaging and chomp SMS..able to send and receive SMS and MMS. Also have lte. Lock screen and network shows boost mobile. Great job MopedRyder. Thank you!

Running liquidsmooth version 04-09-2014

Was just about to report the same thing with the same build. :) Great work MopedRyder. :)

I'm back in TW because I had a few data drops. Data and wifi. Plus TiBu kept freezing on restoring apps. None of that was from you zip. Just wanted to confirm your zip worked great. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Was just about to report the same thing with the same build. :) Great work MopedRyder. :)

I'm back in TW because I had a few data drops. Data and wifi. Plus TiBu kept freezing on restoring apps. None of that was from you zip. Just wanted to confirm your zip worked great. Thank you.

Had an issue with Titanium getting stuck on one app. For some reason when I'm doing a batch install it'll get stuck on Tablet Talk. Now I restore that one by itself and all goes well.

Take a look at the app Titanium is getting stuck on and try doing the same thing I do. Just install it by itself. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Had an issue with Titanium getting stuck on one app. For some reason when I'm doing a batch install it'll get stuck on Tablet Talk. Now I restore that one by itself and all goes well.

Take a look at the app Titanium is getting stuck on and try doing the same thing I do. Just install it by itself. :thumbup:

Not to derail the thread buuuuut...HAHA! I always restore one at a time. Never batch. It failed on every app I tried. Ok done derailing. If I need to comment on that again I'll go to the LS thread. :)

Upvote 0
The Dropbox version? If you are referring to the one linked here:
http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3.html#post6155025

That fix I wrote the script and junkie did the APNs. From his Boost APNs and guidance I was able to do the Virgin Mobile ones. The script in that one sets the build.prop to Sprint. The Dropbox version script was made for the D2SPR builds.

The fix I have in OP here was created due to the newer D2LTE builds. The script was made for updating the build.prop for those newer builds. Id call this one as basically the next version of the fix. Even though it was made for d2LTE builds it will work fine with d2SPR builds.

Also I append a different eri.xml file so the carrier shows Boost instead of Sprint.

Ok I see well we should get wetbiker to take the one I put on my Dropbox down then and link to this one so everyone can just run the updated version
Since reading the post it fixes mms too thanks MopedRyder

Upvote 0
Ok I see well we should get wetbiker to take the one I put on my Dropbox down then and link to this one so everyone can just run the updated version
Since reading the post it fixes mms too thanks MopedRyder

Headed over to the ROM thread now and link the APN fix to this thread. Thanks.

Edit: I must be brain dead. I had already posted the link to this thread (facepalm) . I went ahead and removed your Dropbox link, HiiiPowers. Thanks for hosting the 1st APN fix on your Dropbox account.

Thanks again, MopedRyder. We appreciate your help bro. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Headed over to the ROM thread now and link the APN fix to this thread. Thanks.

Edit: I must be brain dead. I had already posted the link to this thread (facepalm) . I went ahead and removed your Dropbox link, HiiiPowers. Thanks for hosting the 1st APN fix on your Dropbox account.

Thanks again, MopedRyder. We appreciate your help bro. :thumbup:

My pleasure good to know everyone had 4g that wanted it and now they have 4g and mms

Upvote 0
Just tried this here with the 4/6 version of AOKP d2lte and it worked flwalessly. It says Boost Mobile as my carrier and i had LTE immediately after booting up. I can confirm it working as well as MMS workign perfectly fine. I am in Central Florida as well.

EDIT: Also just installed the latest d2lte nightly of CM11 and it worked flawlessly there as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones