1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Boost Mobile] Need help rooting my boost

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skitzelles, Jan 15, 2014.

1. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014

Advertisement

2. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
  3. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
  4. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
  5. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Are you familiar with rooting and using custom recovery in general, or is this your first time/device attempting this?

skitzelles likes this.
  6. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    I have rooted my old phone before which was a HTC ONE DESIRE and it was a lot easier to me then this...but i think for the most part im slowly understanding it but i just have one last problem and tht is because i dont know what the diff between odexed and deodexed.. after that i think i will be almost done. i have actually put on the crm if i am saying that right..the purple menu..

7. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    btw.. thank you for the reply. :) thought everyone was off and gone for the night.

8. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Odexed vs deodexed doesn't really matter, may I ask why you mentioned it? Does it have to do with your potential ROM choice? Also, I don't understand your last sentence. Are you referring to booting into recovery and you have the purple colored menu on the main screen of Philz Touch?

9. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014

.....oh my. I misread it.. gosh that's embarrassing but a big relief. And yes i was referring to philz touch. So since i have philz touch installed, and i wont be needing the odexed or deodexed to root my phone what would my next step be? I guess i am kinda confused on what to do next..and once again i thank you so much for your help.

10. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    The only thing you truly need for just rooting is the latest SuperSU .zip file. However, if you want to put a custom ROM on your phone right away, as opposed to being stock/rooted, you will need the flashable .zip file for the ROM of choice as well. I can suggest some if needed.

skitzelles likes this.
  11. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    oh wait that why.. it says:

Now you're going to want to download these two files to your SD Card:
    The MK5 rom zip from this thread: [ROM][MK5][STOCK][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile - xda-developers
    and SuperSU (CWM installable zip) found here: [2014.01.10] SuperSU v1.89 - xda-developers

these are the steps i have to do next

1. Place the battery back in. While holding the VOLUME UP + Home button, while powering up and hold it until you see the blue text that says "Booting into recovery". As soon as you see this blue text let go of all the buttons!
    2. We will now install the MK5 rom and SuperSU with the custom recovery. In most cases it will be necessary for you to format "system", "data", and "cache" in the mounts menu and wiping Dalvik Cache" in the advanced menu before installing the two zips to allow for a clean install with no issues. Click on Install in your custom recovery (Philz) and navigate to where you placed the two files listed earlier which will be the MK5 Rom Zip and SuperSU zip. You will want to install both of those. Assuming the installation is successful, you will then want to select Reboot System from your Philz Recovery menu.
    3. You should now be rooted! I assume you are familiar with what rooting does so there is no need to explain how SuperSU works. ENJOY YOUR ROOTED PHONE!

12. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    Oh okay. Im sorry im confusing lol..

So i will skip the MK5 roms. I will just go with the SuperSU

And i would love some good suggestions!!!
    I have tried the most common one cyon mod or however it is spelt but the bluetooth never worked :/

13. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    The ROM link is for the stock/Knox-free ROM by @jdsingle76; it is not necessary to flash that ROM in order to gain root, but it is a good ROM to have on your SD card regardless, I keep that file plus a backup of the ROM that I have set up the way I want on my phone at all times. SuperSU is necessary for root though, download it and put it onto your SD card now if you haven't already. Link for latest version here:

SuperSU Download

14. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    okay!
    Already did a backup on the SD
    Just downloaded the link you provided and put it on the SD..

15. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    So you backed up the stock system? If yes, that is absolutely the right thing to have done, especially if you want a custom ROM, because you will have to wipe the current OS in order to install a new one. Now, you just need to boot into recovery (if you aren't there already) and flash the SuperSU .zip file. After that, when you boot back into your system, you will be rooted.

skitzelles likes this.
  16. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014

I just clicked
    "Backup and Restore"
    "Backup to /SDCARD"
    and it did its whole things took about 5 mins

If i did this all correctly I will finish up and install the Zip!

But once again :):):):):):):):):)

AMAZING!!! Big Thanks!!!
    Thank you so much!! You said that perfectly!!

17. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    went ahead and did the backup/SDCARD1

18. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    No problem! Sounds like you followed the guide better than you are giving yourself credit for. Just FYI, /SDCARD is the internal storage, /SDCARD1 is the external storage. I never wipe the internal storage, and I definitely never ever wipe my SD card, but don't want you to lose your ROM backups by inadvertently wiping internal storage. I personally prefer to store backups on my SD card, as well as on my computer, just to be safe. Also, Philz has a ton of options for customization, I would recommend playing around with it a bit to tweak it to your liking. There is an option to save your settings and also to restore defaults, so you can't really do any damage. Keep us posted on your success and also if you want/need some ROM suggestions.

19. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    Thank you! I guess i was confused by all the new terms lol. Ill be taking out my SDcard1 before i do the ZIP file just to be safe. And good idea on the storing on the computer itself.

Would LOVE some good rom suggestions!!! Thanks a lot!
    Will do the rootchecker after the ZIP installation

20. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    I've been following this thread and I've got a big smile on my face because I know how happy your are that you're learning how to do this on your S3. You lucked up getting Struckn in here to help you too. He definitely knows his stuff.

Welcome to the S3 section. It's always nice to see a new member getting their phone set up.

As Struckn mentioned a few posts back, there are some really nice ROMs for our phone. My suggestion would be to test out a few of them and see what works best for you. :thumbup::D

kevindroid, struckn and skitzelles like this.
  21. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Leaving your card in should be fine. I store all my ROM files on my SD card and have never had any problems.

As far as ROM suggestions:

Stock/TW based:

Wicked Sensations and MOAR are both very nice, and offer unbelievable customization. Stock/Knox-free MK5 by @jdsingle76 is a must have, as I mentioned earlier.

AOSP based:

Official CyanogenMod 11 nightlies are really stable for me, especially considering that they are nightlies. Been really liking CyanFox 2.0.2 (KitKat) as well, running that for the last couple of days. A little more work is involved in running AOSP ROM's on this phone, basically we are piggybacking off of Sprint development, even for most of the TW ones like Wicked and MOAR. Read up on the stickies, and we can certainly steer you in the right direction to be able to flash the AOSP ROM's.

22. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    I am! I was searching google how to root this phone for hours and was ready to give up and then i ran across this forum and figured it was worth a shot. I'm so glad that i stuck through and Stuckn came across my post!!!! Couldnt not have done that without his help!!! Am soooo relived haha. I am now rooted and did the root check and everything is working properly. Am now gonna try to "play" with some custom roms. Trying to find the best one that can do something like:

Play games smoothly
    Runs bluetooth ~Cause my last phone i had cyonmod and the bluetooth wasnt working
    Wifi working perfectly
    ..and just simply a nice interface.

Will be trying all the ones stuckn suggested

Im glad to be a part of this website and will continue to help others as y;all have helped me out :)

kevindroid and wetbiker7 like this.
  23. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Glad you found us here on the forums! Make sure to get Titanium Backup going as well and backup your apps religiously with it (I run it on a nightly preset schedule); highly recommend the Pro version as well. Feel free to PM me anytime for any reason; additionally, throw out a post or a new thread if you need help, like you did tonight. Biker and myself are on at all hours of the day pretty much, and even at work I keep abreast of things with Tapatalk. Lots of other members on here as well who are super helpful, from both the Boost side and the Virgin Mobile side (it's a combined forces thing, as we both fall under the Sprint umbrella), so make yourself at home on the VM side as well, there is a ton of info available between the two forums. Bookmark this page as well for the Sprint forum on XDA:

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III - xda-developers

This is where you will find most of the ROM's and a ton of other info.

wetbiker7 and skitzelles like this.
  24. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    Thank you both, I will deff let you guys know if I need any type of help. Ty for the website as well will be spending a lot of time on here till i can find that perfect rom for my needs. Do you know if the Cyon mod is updated as far as the 4g and 3g capable as well as the bluetooth? Because I did like the feel of it just didn't like the lack of capabilities

25. skitzelles

skitzelles Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    PS

I have never got this much help from a website! I will be defiantly be spreading this around!!!