1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Boost Mobile] non-stock camera apps... worth it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by codezer0, Jan 2, 2014.

1. codezer0

codezer0 Android Enthusiast

So, very simply,

Having had the S2, then the OneSV and then now back to using an S3, I was otherwise very pleased with the hardware upgrades of the S3 (the phone I wanted all along, lol), but one thing I was most disappointed with is that it seems like for everything else samsung upgraded from the S2 to S3, they hardly did jack to the S3's camera(s) at all.

funny enough, I do recall being recommended on the app store to try a different camera app that is supposed to enable more settings.

Obviously what we got on the S3 is nothing like the Lumia 1020, but is there really something to using a different camera app for taking better pictures? How advanced are they (at least the free ones) ? Obviously there are benefits to running custom roms on the S3 for us here. But what about the camera? Can something be improved there even with the same hardware? At least this inquiring mind wishes to know. ;)

Advertisement

2. cornelljdavis

cornelljdavis Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Male
    I mean as far I know the most you can do without hardware improvements is better filters and shooting modes. I did a ton of research to find better ways to take pictures too however haven't had great luck. Then again all I really wanted was a slow motion option and better front camera quality. I would say you should try flashing a camera apk from another phone.

I seen the note 2 camera flash and s4 flash to the s3 however only on the he international models. Make a back up and try it hahaha. I don't have the links however just Google them and should pop up.

3. unotlikeme

unotlikeme Android Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011
    Male
    Carpentry Demolition Contractor
    Connecticut
    in my experience with the cameras ive installed you lose picture quality iv'e run the stock cams from aosp and every one made the quality worse than the stock s3 camera the note 2 cam and the s4 cam are the same quality only dif is some of the settings. like zoom with the volume keys and turn off the shutter sound im on the moar rom which i believe has the s4 cam. so unless you are a dev and can personally mod the cam i dont think there are any cams better than the galaxy cams for the s3. i have the aosp cam also witch gives me working photo sphere but thats all i use it for.